Featured Civic Type R US Sales Numbers (to date)

1. Harlaquin

Harlaquin Senior Member

Car(s):
    2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
    Yeah mines 141 but vin 198... its an old topic unfortunately there is zero corralation between vin and badge no.matter how much people want there to be. Its been confirmed Honda through news channel various times.

2. michaeljf

michaeljf Member

Car(s):
    MY18 Civic Type R, MY16 Fiesta ST
    The problem is for each market and year model Type R they incrementally number the last 5 digits. So say I have a MY18 produced for Australia with 00156, that means it's the 156th Australian MY18 Type R. But there was also no doubt an Australian MY17 that had 00156. When they do the same for every market you can't have any correlation to the badge number.

3. Harlaquin

Harlaquin Senior Member

Car(s):
    2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
    There is that as well but also there was none to begin with. I have badge 00141 one of the first ones made in the first days of production and still my vin dont match. And tge was even before model years or markets. Plus add in what you did and its a mess... bottom line zero matching lol

4. SixxSpeed

SixxSpeed Senior Member

Car(s):
    Civic Type R
    If anything, it feels like Honda may have missed a chance to make these cars even more valuable down the road.

We all know how expensive classic cars are these days with matching numbers on the engine and transmission. You can't fake that stuff and if numbers match you know you have a gem on your hands.

But in the case of the CTR, that all goes out the window. The two numbers (VIN vs unit number) have zero to do with one another can can't even be tracked back to see if they were originally paired together, or if the car had something changed. I highly doubt Honda isn't smart enough or capable of figuring out a world wide numbering system that works for all CTRs. It really isn't rocket science.

I guess with the unit number only being on the center console though, it's not terribly important. Maybe if the number was on a few places on the car it would be a bigger deal. Either way... Just interesting, is all.

5. norbert

norbert New Member

First Name:
    Norbert
    Car(s):
    BMW M5
    I don't think its going to be a problem in the future, I'm sure there will be some sort of registry.

6. Speed9117

Speed9117 Senior Member

Car(s):
    2019 CW Type R, 1989 240sx
    Why would Honda care about value down the road? They've already sold the cars, why would they care about future collector value?

Also, as far as "numbers matching", that would all track by VIN. I haven't specifically checked on my Type R, but I assume the engine and trans have VIN tags like every other newer Honda I've owned.

The good thing is Honda is making enough of these that hopefully it's mostly a moot point. I doubt we'll see a bubble the same way the ITR has boomed, at least not as soon.

.grimace thanked this.
  7. .grimace

.grimace Senior Member

First Name:
    Byron
    Car(s):
    2017 CTR, 2014 911 4S, 2016 Cayenne GTS
    Still find it weird people are buying a Honda worried about its value in 20-30 years. I will have likely sold this car LONG before then. Say it’s worth 50k in 25 years. After maintenance, registration, insurance, storage, initial purchase, etc you’re losing money lol. Drive the car and enjoy it.

You would make SO SO much more putting 35k into an investment account and checking back in 25 years and if you’re not going to enjoy the car.

Ducky, heavyD, bobafettm and 2 others thanked this.
  8. CTtypeR

CTtypeR Senior Member

Car(s):
    2018 Civic Type R
    I'd never buy this car to garage it, but the resale price was definitely a driving factor for me purchasing it. I can't imagine this is the type of car where people will care about the VIN, though.

9. Nanook

Nanook Senior Member

First Name:
    JP
    Car(s):
    2009 Accord, 2018 Pilot, 2017 Si, 2018 CTR
    https://fk8registry.com

Ducky thanked this.
  10. rfor28

rfor28 New Member

First Name:
    Robin
    Car(s):
    2018 CTR, 2002 Chevy Silverado, 2000 Infiniti I30, 1985 Toyota Celica Supra, 1981 Toyota Celica Sunchaser
    I agree completely. I bought mine the day it arrived. It was the third CTR the dealership had had and none of them lasted more than a day or two.

11. CTtypeR

CTtypeR Senior Member

Car(s):
    2018 Civic Type R
    Meanwhile I got mine at essentially MSRP because it sat for six months

12. 2019SiOldGuy

2019SiOldGuy Senior Member

First Name:
    Brian
    Car(s):
    2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Storm trooper Taco TRD 4x4, custom 3 wheel Hy Bird
    2019 sales are way down!! The hype is over!! You can get an 18 with less than 5000 miles for 35000 after taxes....THE HYPE IS OVER!!!

13. 2019SiOldGuy

2019SiOldGuy Senior Member

First Name:
    Brian
    Car(s):
    2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Storm trooper Taco TRD 4x4, custom 3 wheel Hy Bird
    Loks like nobody shopped on thanksgiving or xmas of 18....LOL

14. Robotaz

Robotaz Senior Member

First Name:
    Rob
    Car(s):
    2019 Type R
    I'm curious, as a sonic gray pearl owner, how many there are. I have not seen another one in person.

15. UFO CTR

UFO CTR Senior Member

Car(s):
    2017 CTR#1348
    #135 UFO CTR, Aug 5, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    finally saw one in person , and it's awesome! I'm glad I got to see one in person :)
    FuN5vk.jpg

Robotaz thanked this.