Featured Civic Type R US Sales Numbers (to date)

1. nunusguy

nunusguy Member

First Name:
    Don
    Car(s):
    2018 Civic Sport Hatch
    I have an auto in a car that I like very much but want more punch than 180 HP in my Civic. Plenty of Honda's competitors offer that combo (that is an auto tranny with sustantially more horses which approximate or even exceed 250 HP), so what's keeping Honda from matching the competition ?

2. FriscoBrah

FriscoBrah Senior Member

Car(s):
    2018 Championship White Civic Type R
    #77 FriscoBrah, Jan 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    With the exception of the Golf R in auto none of the competitors are. The STi, Focus RS, Megan, et cetera are all row your own gears so I have no clue what you’re referencing.

I’m happy many manufacturers have stayed true to the enthusiasts by keeping the performance models manual.

It would be sacrilege to offer a Type R as well.

MisterWhang thanked this.
  3. golfer883

golfer883 Member

Car(s):
    Focus
    Yea in these "economy" fast cars, automatic is rare. However once you get into the more expensive and faster cars, auto becomes more available and popular

4. civicls

civicls Senior Member

Car(s):
    2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
    Username checks out.

5. SpinRush

SpinRush Senior Member

First Name:
    Big Will
    Car(s):
    FK8 ( Waiting )
    It’s never gonna happen. In fact, as of today, we know that Type R’s are limited now. They are closing the Swindon Plant. BREXIT, as in, putting the brakes on the whole country. Hell, you won’t even be able to get a SI now. You’ll be lucky if you do.

6. darkborne

darkborne Member

First Name:
    Ryan
    Car(s):
    18 CW Type R
    The fact that Swindon is closing at the end of the model cycle doesn't mean the Type R is limited, likely Honda will shift hatchback/R production to another facility.

7. nunusguy

nunusguy Member

First Name:
    Don
    Car(s):
    2018 Civic Sport Hatch
    Last time I checked Honda was a Japanese-based multinational company, you should know that Big Will, so if need be they can relocate to another country right ?
    Yea my Civic hatchback was assembled in Britain so assuming demand for these products continue they can be assembled in another country.

8. UFO CTR

UFO CTR Senior Member

Car(s):
    2017 CTR#1348
    not exactly easily tho...all the tooling and machinery will need to be moved and reset up. The cost to do this may not be worth it, they've (Honda) have already invested initial cost to get the UK factory up and running.
    so it is not as simple as pick up and go.

9. Wheel_Guy

Wheel_Guy Senior Member

Car(s):
    '19 Passport Elite, '16 Ducati Multistrada 1200 Enduro
    I imagine they're timing it with the launch of the next gen Civic so they're going to be retooling anyway.

turboshawn and UFO CTR thanked this.
  10. MR2S2000

MR2S2000 Member

Car(s):
    MR2 S2000
    Any updates?

11. FriscoBrah

FriscoBrah Senior Member

Car(s):
    2018 Championship White Civic Type R
    10th gen production will end with Swindon. It won’t be moved to another factory.

12. Wheel_Guy

Wheel_Guy Senior Member

Car(s):
    '19 Passport Elite, '16 Ducati Multistrada 1200 Enduro
    Yep. The real question that we won't really need to care about for a couple years is, will there be a 11th Gen Type R? My guess is "yes." Will it come to the U.S.? My guess is also "yes" given the success of the 10th Gen here. 10th Gen was going to die in 2021 anyway. This decision has no effect on the current Type R.

13. nunusguy

nunusguy Member

First Name:
    Don
    Car(s):
    2018 Civic Sport Hatch
    I don't get it ?
    Why would you even care if the manufacturer builds a variation of the product just to suit my demands as a consumer ? It's just the same vehicle with more options or in more variations.
    Please don't tell me you have some notion that the purity of the product is somehow diluted or diminished.

14. ctrmofo

ctrmofo Senior Member

private equity
    Car(s):
    '13 lambo lp550-2, '18 honda ctr cw (r-12321), 14' porsche cayman s, '16 porsche macan s, '13 mini jcw nme stage 1, '15 audi s3 apr stage 2, '15 audi q3, '12 monster 1100 evo, '16 triumph thruxton r, deposited for '19 lambo huracan performante
    #89 ctrmofo, Feb 25, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    zero relationship. badge number is literally a badge in a parts bin they randomly pick out and assemble into the console. this has been well documented.

case in point: my last 5 VIN digits are 01561 and serial R-12321...zero relationship and is a 2018.

honda did a great marketing job with ctr by hyping up the "serial #" BUT did not tie it to vin. therefore, can't use serial # to determine exactly how many are built. it's the VIN that's the exact number.

https://driving-tests.org/vin-decoder/

UFO CTR thanked this.
  15. Driveitlikeuboughtit

Driveitlikeuboughtit Senior Member

Car(s):
    2018 CW CTR
    Zero relationship? You make it sound like they ordered a million # plates and people are getting random ones. The manufacturing process is more like they have a box of a hundred number plates and they get slapped on the next 100 in no particular order.

There is still a general numbering and each one is unique - the R's sold now are in the 20ks while the ones sold a year ago were in the low teens.