Civic Type R to get CVT option (Update: Debunked)

Phosky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Civic DX
Country flag
Silliest idea ever. If I'm going to get a petrol-burning car, I want the full meal deal that has 3 pedals and requires shifting and comes with all the sounds that go along with it.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
In the article, they claim to have eliminated the "metal thrashing" of the CVT. If it has paddle shifters it may be indistinguishable from a DCT.

BTW, a CVT option explains why this prototype clearly has the Touring's automated systems. It caused some confusion since that system can't work with a MT.

IMG_8062.JPG
Good point but I wouldn't rule it out on the 6MT. The 9th Gen has the older Sensing package on the GT. We may not see adaptive cruise control but the other options like BSI and lane departure might make it over.

CVT has definitely advanced over the years. Willing to keep an open mind.

limitedslip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Si coupe, 13 Si coupe, 10 Si Coupe
Quite a bit less mechanical / fluid drag in a CVT box ... Hence more efficient use of all the power coming off crank

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT Civic & 2017 Civic ExT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think either a Cvt or manual TypeR would be fun. Geesh a Cvt with that much power might be more fun. You could use one hand to drive and use the other hand to pick up those panties your Type R just dropped.. :D

Wabby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Cr-z
Country flag
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/magazine/digital-preview-of-the-new-issue-of-car-magazine/

Download it for yourselves.

I find it so odd that people are putting their hands over their ears and going," LA LA LA I can't hear you!" Whenever someone mentions new Tech and the CTR.

In one of the most innovative cars of the last decade, what is so incredible about putting an option of a cutting edge drivetrain into the flagship of the Honda line? The NSX has a DCT, so why is it so odd to think that the CTR would want to take advantage of the performance gain of a CVT?
In my opinion, the CTR shouldn't be delivered with automatic transmission at all. It will kill everything the CTR stands for.
I have tried a couple of CVT trannies and I hate them all. They rev up high and scream, killing all the joy of driving a car. I think CVT is for old people with hat and walking stick (and for Toyota owners).
But I shall be honest, I've read that the new Honda CVT should be better and not scream that loud, so it might be better... But I still think it will kill the feeling of driving a sportscar.

I will never buy a CVT, but I will testdrive one when they arrive to Norway so that I can make a real opinion about it.

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
I always said I wouldn't own a CVT but after test driving and buying my ext that changed. If Honda does the r right the CVT could be the best transmission ever. Just have to forget what you know about cvts and know Honda will tune it to scream and not whine

JYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
As this idea of a CVT R has progressed, I think I have to remind myself that Honda is first and foremost, an engineering company. I'm 100% sure that however they offer the R, it will be fantastic.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase

serif

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
9G Accord V6 Slushbox Sedan
"There's no indication of a dual-clutch gearbox for the Civic: the announced automated option is a CVT, although engineer Kariya hastily adds that he's tried to head-off the typical rev-metal thrash by making the cooking engines tractable at low revs"
(emphasis mine)

This isn't about the CTR. Notice the word "announced". Honda have not announced a CVT for the CTR, but they have (and produced it) for other variants. Also, this isn't talking about low-speed acceleration; it's talking about how CVTs typically boost the RPMs ("rev-metal thrash") but they tried to mitigate that by making "engines tractable at low revs". None of this is news; they've been talking about the CVT tuning and low-end torque of the "VTEC Turbo" engines since the 10th gen Civic was announced. They're only covering it now for the UK because the Civic has not gone on sale in Europe yet.