Banned
Banned
First Name
WokeDude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic
Toyota sienna van 0-60 is like 6.9.. only .5 from a civic right? Maybe we should just buy that.. faster right? Practically the same as a type r.. its a hot hatch. Your logic on garden salads are annoying
Except the Hatch s Jennifer Lawrence et al and the Sienna is Roseanne. You never played with cute little green garden snakes as a kid, maybe you never did, so you don't get garden analogies. it's all about using gr8 analogies, i'm sorry if you don't get that!
Sponsored

boostedR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R , 2016 Honda Pilot
Except the Hatch s Jennifer Lawrence et al and the Sienna is Roseanne. You never played with cute little green garden snakes as a kid, maybe you never did, so you don't get garden analogies. it's all about using gr8 analogies, i'm sorry if you don't get that!
Wow you don't know what your talking about I had a 2017 sport hatchback traded it in on my 2018 Type R there is no comparing the performance between the two the sport hatch is a fun little grocery getter but the Type R is a real track car the numbers on paper don't do it justice. If your happy with your standard civic great but don't come on here bashing the Type R.

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
The garden variety civic hatch (CVT is faster due to no variance) can sprint to 60 in mid 6 so how much value can the civic type r provide, it's not like the delta or rift is grandiose between the garden snake LX and the halo T. Even the delta of the produce dept garden variety hatch lx suspension is within .2 or 20% of the type R. I say if you do not enjoy being loud everywhere you go, the basic civic is all you need. I'm glad Honda has a halo car though but 40 grand + ADM is just making the dealer fat cats, well, FAT. think, GARFIELD eating lasagnas all day waddling slowly at the dealers executive style rooms.
First ... you're way off base, a garden variety civic and a CTR are worlds apart when it comes to performance and handling.
Second ... one of the biggest complaints about the CTR is how quiet it is
Third ... you can't seem to even read that the MSRP is $35k, not $40k, so your math is way out of whack

My advice is go find a used one to test drive on a dealer lot and remove your whole foot from your mouth.

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Civic Type R (R-08508)
Country flag
Did you play with a "cute little green garden snake" (nicknames are your business) while thinking about Jennifer Lawrence or Roseanne Barr (I won't judge) a little too much? :)

Yup, Hatch Sport CVT is all you NEED. But some of us WANT Type R 6MT. Actually, a 7 year old Fit is all we really NEED.

We might covet Ms. Lawrence, but what all you really need is Ms. Barr. Never mind, that's a horrible analogy. Barf. Unless you like that sort of thing. Barf. :)

taiso0019

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR | 2022 Veloster N | 2015 TuRD PRO
Country flag
The garden variety civic hatch (CVT is faster due to no variance) can sprint to 60 in mid 6 so how much value can the civic type r provide, it's not like the delta or rift is grandiose between the garden snake LX and the halo T. Even the delta of the produce dept garden variety hatch lx suspension is within .2 or 20% of the type R. I say if you do not enjoy being loud everywhere you go, the basic civic is all you need.
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R Takes 3rd in 2018 Road & Track Performance Car of the Year nah
My old Accord could sprint to 60 in a little over 6 seconds...the GTI a little over 5. Should I have just kept those two and passed on this according to your skewed idea of what a performance car is? Please take a base 10th gen and an FK8 around a turn and get back to us. I know I have...this isn't even a discussion. Hence why the Type R is even in this shootout in the first place.

I think your username is backwards man...just saying.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
He's a troll who commented 2 months after the post previous to him. Ignore him and pay him no mind. Starve a troll and he will die.

The post he put here is his standard fare... wordy flowery BS that contributes nothing.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
To add something more useful:

I think the SI is a great car. I got one however, it can be argued that an SI isn't really that much of a 'performance bargain'. With the GTI with an available APR tune that puts it above anything I see the SI managing in terms of raw numbers, a WRX, hell... a Hyundai Elantra GT amongst other nipping at it's heels, it's a very competitive segment... not to say the R doesn't have competition, but it seems to fare better.

When you see what the Type R has accomplished here against other cars that cost many, many times what it does... for an enthusiast that wants/needs that level of performance, a Type R might be the best comparative value of the whole Civic lineup.

Those of us on the lower trims have benefitted from what the R brings. The few parts the SI got from the R has only served to improve it. Folks love their Sport Hatches... the body style a lot of Si owners, myself included, would love to have had available.

I can say my SI is better than a R, to me, because of a few quantifiable figures. It's cheaper and it gets better fuel economy. Those are true and important things to me, but in no way means it can outperform a type R... except maybe in the amount of distance it can go before it runs out of gas.

In my opinion, if folks can't see this as being a big deal and a good thing for Honda as a company... who's brought in the R... who's revived the NSX, they aren't a car enthusiast and don't need to post anything in this forum.

Having owned 3 previous cars w/a K-series engine... with the world 'moving on' it's great to see it doing great things in the R. We don't know what Gen 11 will bring. It may be the Ks swan song, so enjoy it. The L is turning out to be a good little motor but I doubt there are many of us with SI that wouldn't have preferred a detuned 2.0t over it. There's a lot of folks over the years who have dropped a pile of money (like $7k easily) to go FI on their K20/K24s but still don't have a car built around the motor to handle that kind of power. Honda gave us the option to buy one from them direct. That is a *big* deal.

Learn2turn

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Toyota Longbed PU, '95 (Drift Toy) Miata, '05 Tuned Gran Prix White S2000, '19 Championship White C-Type R
Country flag
The R&T guys clearly thought highly of the CTR, but it did not really rank third in this shootout in any meaningful way - remember the cars first competed within a small class, and then the class winners were ranked.

If a boxing tournament had four weight divisions, and you then ranked the 4 divisional winners in the same way as was done in this shootout, nobody could reasonably claim that the winner of say the flyweight division was a better boxer in any absolute sense than the guy who came second in the heavyweight division; the flyweight would not likely last a round against the heavyweight.

If the CTR had competed directly against say the AMG GT R or the 911 GT3. does anyone seriously think it would have been the editors' preference? Of course one can argue that such a comparison is rather beside the point given the pricing differentials, but that is a separate consideration.
No offense, just asking...
Do you own a CTR or are you deliberating and talking yourself out of missing out?

FriscoBrah

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Championship White Civic Type R
Country flag
I bought my ‘18 for MSRP with no deposit.

who was the guy on here who mentioned the CTR will be at msrp or lower and widely available for 2018 lol
If you didnt put a deposit down good luck getting one for msrp for 2018

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The R&T guys clearly thought highly of the CTR, but it did not really rank third in this shootout in any meaningful way - remember the cars first competed within a small class, and then the class winners were ranked.

If a boxing tournament had four weight divisions, and you then ranked the 4 divisional winners in the same way as was done in this shootout, nobody could reasonably claim that the winner of say the flyweight division was a better boxer in any absolute sense than the guy who came second in the heavyweight division; the flyweight would not likely last a round against the heavyweight.

If the CTR had competed directly against say the AMG GT R or the 911 GT3. does anyone seriously think it would have been the editors' preference? Of course one can argue that such a comparison is rather beside the point given the pricing differentials, but that is a separate consideration.
This shootout was judged like a dog show not a Battle Royale. The best of breed and best of group vying for best in show. The example that best exemplifies its class.

It'd be just as strange to preliminary judge a Chihuahua and a Border Collie with the same criteria. They don't meet until the finals when they are judged on how well they represent the standards of their class

jjtheprince

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I always said if I ever win a Mega Millions jackpot that I'd buy a Lamborghini Huracan Performante. Now I think I'd just rather save myself $250K and get a CTR!

FriscoBrah

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Championship White Civic Type R
Country flag
I disagree. There’s nothing exclusive about Rallye Red. You can buy it on every Civic trim available. I like the color and owned a Si in RR. It will never top Championship White, it’s only ever touched R models in OEM form while commemorating Honda’s first F1 victory.

Red is the new CW. :bow:

Last edited:

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
I always said if I ever win a Mega Millions jackpot that I'd buy a Lamborghini Huracan Performante. Now I think I'd just rather save myself $250K and get a CTR!
As much as I like that justification, I still don't think it would've worked on my wife.

"Honey, I could save a quarter-mil and buy a Type-R instead of a Lambo."
"..."

dn7309

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport
Country flag
the styling is controversial for sure. I love the front end, but the rear is hard to grow on me.
Sponsored