Civic Type R prototype spotted in Europe

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
CTR shouldn't even be a DD imo. Who's going to want a Type R with 150k miles in 5 years that is rusty and gross. These cars deserve respect. If you can't handle a harsh ride, you are too old, or just not ment for the CTR.
Sponsored

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
CTR shouldn't even be a DD imo. Who's going to want a Type R with 150k miles in 5 years that is rusty and gross. These cars deserve respect. If you can't handle a harsh ride, you are too old, or just not ment for the CTR.
I'm planning to daily mine! I'm scared I won't have enough 'destinations' to drive it because I'll finish my MBA either right before or right after I get the car...so I'll only be going from home to work and back. 4.2 miles one way, so at least it keeps the mileage down.

thaseint

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW GTI SE
Country flag
If I get one I would be DD'ing it. No sense keeping it locked in a garage and/or only driving it occasionally. :drive:

I drove an EP3 with a JDM 22mm rear sway, HFP suspension, poly bushings, ES motor mount inserts, ITR rear strut bar/gussets...it was a rough ride for sure; but driving it always put a smile on my face, drove it for 13 years.

Wouldn't have any plans on selling the CTR. I don't live in an area where rust would be an issue and I keep my cars immaculate. Personally I would be hanging on to the car indefinitely. If it gets too many miles I would just keep it as a weekend car, hopefully by then I have a bigger garage so I can keep 3 cars.

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lotus Exige; 2018 & 2021 Honda Type R
Country flag
of course it's going to be DD'ed lol... It's a frigin Honda Civic ;) Com'on people. It's less that a fully loaded Ford F150! This isn't a ferrari. The point of the STI, RS, CTR, Golf R, etc is to actually DRIVE those cars. If anything the Civic TR is even better do to the massive trunk space and amazing MPG (comparably).

atwellb79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Si, 335xi
Country flag
of course it's going to be DD'ed lol... It's a frigin Honda Civic ;) Com'on people. It's less that a fully loaded Ford F150! This isn't a ferrari. The point of the STI, RS, CTR, Golf R, etc is to actually DRIVE those cars. If anything the Civic TR is even better do to the massive trunk space and amazing MPG (comparably).
Exactly.

STiTCH87

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan, 2006 Scion TC
I don't understand this line of argument. The current gen is quite liveable, I've driven it many times. Pls explain.
If he is looking for performance but is worried about ride comfort and worried about running potential 20s.

Hyundai i40 wagon, google it ;-) European car though...
Nevermind, I no longer like it. Lol.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
I knew my comment wouldn't sit well with some people lol :umbrella:

STiTCH87

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I knew my comment wouldn't sit well with some people lol :umbrella:
I agree with you. :) It's not a price thing, it's a collectable thing. Hell, people buy collector stamps for $1 and never stick them to mail for 75 years because they hope someday it'll be worth $2. Lol.

Think about how hard it is to find a stock mint/great condition ITR nowadays. If you found one, would you drive it everyday? ;-) I wish someone made the decision to buy one and garage it. People did this with muscle cars years ago all the time.

Everyone has their own opinion on things. I personally prefer to build from the ground up off a base foundation than to buy prebuilt when it comes to something that will be a workhorse.

That being said I just read an article yesterday about a 1990 Honda Accord that went over 1,000,000 miles on the stock engine and transmission. So I guess there's no genuine issue using a CTR as a daily driver by means of mechanical concern... Lol.

lbiaggi

First Name
Light
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Honda Prelude SI
I agree with you. :) It's not a price thing, it's a collectable thing. Hell, people buy collector stamps for $1 and never stick them to mail for 75 years because they hope someday it'll be worth $2. Lol.

Think about how hard it is to find a stock mint/great condition ITR nowadays. If you found one, would you drive it everyday? ;-) I wish someone made the decision to buy one and garage it. People did this with muscle cars years ago all the time.

Everyone has their own opinion on things. I personally prefer to build from the ground up off a base foundation than to buy prebuilt when it comes to something that will be a workhorse.

That being said I just read an article yesterday about a 1990 Honda Accord that went over 1,000,000 miles on the stock engine and transmission. So I guess there's no genuine issue using a CTR as a daily driver by means of mechanical concern... Lol.
well I want to enjoy it . but I agree will be highly collectable .. for me I want to pass it for my son when I get old (I am 33 now) . For me it is a daily car with racing specs I also will keep it so if it rusts will rebuild it and fix it ( won't be more painful than 3g Lude which is a pain to work on :)

STiTCH87

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
well I want to enjoy it . but I agree will be highly collectable .. for me I want to pass it for my son when I get old (I am 33 now) . For me it is a daily car with racing specs I also will keep it so if it rusts will rebuild it and fix it ( won't be more painful than 3g Lude which is a pain to work on :)
Similar idea here. Garage holding my '16 used as a DD in hopes it will stay in good enough condition that I can gift it to my daughter when she turns 18. It'll have high mileage by then, sure, but being her first car you know she's just going to end up totaling it in a parking lot going 5mph in reverse anyways LOL.

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lotus Exige; 2018 & 2021 Honda Type R
Country flag
LOL Stitch let's hope not!

I personally never look at automobiles as an investment unless they are one-off-classics. Although I will say I purchased my Exige used (620 mi on it) back in 2008 for a fraction of what it is worth today. It boggles my mind since I didn't expect to see the car appreciate to what it has. I think one of the key selling points of why the Exige appreciated was due to the freeze of importation. I worry that the Civic Type R wouldn't have this luxury. If the car does well here I'd hope they would continue bringing us Type Rs in the USA until eventually aliens blow us up or ourselves lol

Example Datsun's 35th anniversary 350z isn't worth dog poop even though it was an extremely limited edition make due to their being years and years of speciality 350z/370z produced.

J35W2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 supercharged Civic Si (sold), '06 Civic Si (sold) , '14 V6-6MT Accord Coupe (sold), '17 CTR #1637, '18 Civic LX Hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah, I wouldn't ever look at a car as an investment (financially) unless it is a limited classic in demand by collectors. Is someone going to pay for a CTR in mint condition many years later for more than it sold for? Probably not. Cars are depreciating assets, some rapidly depreciating. Cars are an investment for me in an entertainment & praticality capacity only. I want one I look forward to driving everyday & if it has four doors & a hatch, then that is a big bonus. A 5 door CTR hatch that can fit my family & haul a load to the recycling center or fit a big screen TV in is a win-win-win for me. Oh yeah, it will also have Honda reliability. Golden, magical UNICORN.

The performance of this car is going to be beastly. This last year (& next several months) are going to feel like the longest in my life. Cash & trade-in are ready, just need this thing in my garage.

STiTCH87

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, I wouldn't ever look at a car as an investment (financially) unless it is a limited classic in demand by collectors. Is someone going to pay for a CTR in mint condition many years later for more than it sold for? Probably not. Cars are depreciating assets, some rapidly depreciating. Cars are an investment for me in an entertainment & praticality capacity only. I want one I look forward to driving everyday & if it has four doors & a hatch, then that is a big bonus. A 5 door CTR hatch that can fit my family & haul a load to the recycling center or fit a big screen TV in is a win-win-win for me. Oh yeah, it will also have Honda reliability. Golden, magical UNICORN.

The performance of this car is going to be beastly. This last year (& next several months) are going to feel like the longest in my life. Cash & trade-in are ready, just need this thing in my garage.
FWIW, never transport a flat screen TV laying flat. ;-) Not even LED. You can shatter the screen, damage LEDs, damage the board behind the LED/LCD, you name it.