Civic Type R Front Lip Install on a Hatchback or SI (in progress)

Donuyen18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda s2000
Country flag
Here is my guide for installing the civic type r front lip on a non type r civic.
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R Front Lip Install on a Hatchback or SI (in progress) 20171022_113043

Before i start, i would like to give credit to greentrees for having the confidence to take the plunge to attempt the install and providing information for the install. I have been told that this will not fit on the sedan or coupe or any other civic that does not have the hatchback bumper with the huge faux vents in the front. Also, the sport additions may not fit because of the factory installed lip that is already on the car. You might be able to remove that lip to install the type r lip. Also, this is a custom job so the fitment will not be 100% and there WILL be gaps.

Tools needed:
Drill
Painters tape
Dremel or cutting tool
Self tapping screws

The lip cost about $125 which makes it relatively inexpensive when compared to the front lip option that cost $500 from Honda. I had to wait 2 weeks because it was back ordered. Here is how the package is wrapped.
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R Front Lip Install on a Hatchback or SI (in progress) 20171021_081919

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R Front Lip Install on a Hatchback or SI (in progress) 20171021_081927

Unwrapping the goodness
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R Front Lip Install on a Hatchback or SI (in progress) 20171021_082211

Here are some shots and angles of the lip unmodified
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R Front Lip Install on a Hatchback or SI (in progress) 20171021_082850
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R Front Lip Install on a Hatchback or SI (in progress) 20171021_083643
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R Front Lip Install on a Hatchback or SI (in progress) 20171021_083453
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R Front Lip Install on a Hatchback or SI (in progress) 20171021_083623

Before starting, slide the foam wrapper under the vehicle so that you don't scratch the lip. I attempted to attach the lip without modifying the lip but there would not be enough contact to make a secure connection plus the gap would be huge.
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R Front Lip Install on a Hatchback or SI (in progress) 20171021_083305

It's obvious which parts need to be removed. I started with removing the 4 middle sections and left the 2 side ones as they will require a little more attention. Start by masking off around these pieces just in case your Dremel slips.
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R Front Lip Install on a Hatchback or SI (in progress) 20171021_083558

The plastic is thin so the cut should be quick. Cut off off the bulk and smooth it out after. You want to to be careful because parts of the cut may show up when you mount the lip
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R Front Lip Install on a Hatchback or SI (in progress) 20171021_085100

Once you trim the 4 inter pieces. You'll want to place the lip under the bumper for a mock up. As stated, this is a custom job. How far it sticks out and where exactly it mounts is up to you. I attempted to have the lip stick as much as possible. The problem is the edge of the bumper is curved so when I attached the lip with some screws, the lip had a slant with an upward angle. I decided to push back just enough so that the lip would be level with the bumper and stick out enough. Note, this part is much easier with 2 people. There is no markers of where the middle is exactly so you'll have to get creative. I used some painters and the honeycomb pattern to find the middle of the bumper and then used the mounting points on the lip to find the middle.
I tried using painters tape to hold up the lip to get a mock up but it was not strong enough. After confirming where I wanted the lip mounting, I attached the lip to the bumper but I left the bolts loose so that I could move the lip left or right to make it fit.
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R Front Lip Install on a Hatchback or SI (in progress) 20171022_090842

I raised the sides to see how much of the outer mounting points needed to be removed.
Depending on your OCD, this part can take you a few minutes or a few hours. I started by cutting a large portion of the mounting point. You want to make this 1st cut in one go and save the Chuck of plastic for later.
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R Front Lip Install on a Hatchback or SI (in progress) 20171022_091502
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R Front Lip Install on a Hatchback or SI (in progress) 20171022_091509

After the cut, I attached the lip back on the bumper to check out fitment. I would use the Dremel to shave away at the plastic slowly and check the fitment every so often. After a few hours total, both sides were shaved down enough to my liking.
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R Front Lip Install on a Hatchback or SI (in progress) 20171022_103234
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R Front Lip Install on a Hatchback or SI (in progress) 20171022_103243

At this point, I used the remaining mounting points to attach the lip firmly. I felt that the 8 mounting points wouldnt be sufficient as they are all in the center. I added 4 more screws to each side.
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R Front Lip Install on a Hatchback or SI (in progress) 20171028_183506

The last part is to connect the ends to the back of the bumper. The mounting point will not line up perfectly. You'll need to bend the lip so that the plastic lines up with the bumper. Use a screw to connect the lip.
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R Front Lip Install on a Hatchback or SI (in progress) 20171022_111118

You can stop here and the lip should be secured. I wanted a more secure connection however. I used the large chucks of plastic cut from the mounting points to make an additional point of contact. I hacked the plastic into a rectangle
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R Front Lip Install on a Hatchback or SI (in progress) 20171022_111333

I attached one side to the bumper and the other side to the lip.
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R Front Lip Install on a Hatchback or SI (in progress) 20171022_113251

Here is the end result.

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R Front Lip Install on a Hatchback or SI (in progress) 20171024_192956
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R Front Lip Install on a Hatchback or SI (in progress) 20171022_113057
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R Front Lip Install on a Hatchback or SI (in progress) 20171022_113034
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R Front Lip Install on a Hatchback or SI (in progress) 20171022_113605

My final thoughts on this lip. This is quite possibly the best looking lip for our cars. I feel that the sport lip is too subtle and I barely noticed that its there. This lip is very in your face and adds a lot of flare. It is also fairly cheap and is OEM Honda. People have mixed feelings on the red line but I absolutely love it on my CBP. It is also carbon fiber. Well, fake carbon fiber. Dare I say, carbon fauxber? Eh? I'll let myself out.

Thank you

Last edited:

FK7_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan, 2015 Acura MDX Elite
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Always nice to see people be the first to attempt stuff like this. It looks good but my OCD would actually kill me because the fitment isnt perfect and the gaps are large on the sides. Also I don't think I could cut through the lip like that either. Good stuff man :thumbsup:

556ALPHA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Thank you for taking the time to document and walk us through the process.

hfpdohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatch 2017 M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
never in my life....looks way too demolished for me....i would have just cut 2 inches from the center of the lip and put it back together to make the lip sit flush at both ends......

OP
OP
Donuyen18

Donuyen18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda s2000
Country flag
never in my life....looks way too demolished for me....i would have just cut 2 inches from the center of the lip and put it back together to make the lip sit flush at both ends......
Thanks...for the...feedback...

Last edited:

j3rs3y_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Hatchback Touring
Country flag
Any information or website where you bought the parts... Thanks

Si Stuart

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe. 1969 Karmann Ghia.
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
this was so helpful!
P.S. I was able to eliminate the side gap by mounting the side fins to the wheel well first (this requires a second person to be around to mock up the lip flush to the bumper, so that you can align the top mounting hole to the wheel well). This will squeeze the lip out at the middle but once the screws are tapped in its not noticeable.
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R Front Lip Install on a Hatchback or SI (in progress) 20180530_200443

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R Front Lip Install on a Hatchback or SI (in progress) 20180530_203316

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R Front Lip Install on a Hatchback or SI (in progress) 20180530_203334

123sillyboy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Very nicely done... I too like the type r splitter alot... if we have a sport model.. does it mean I need to remove the stock lip before this job?

Can we actually buy the type R bumper and fit into hatchback model then install this lips?

OP
OP
Donuyen18

Donuyen18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda s2000
Country flag
Very nicely done... I too like the type r splitter alot... if we have a sport model.. does it mean I need to remove the stock lip before this job?

Can we actually buy the type R bumper and fit into hatchback model then install this lips?
No. The type r bumper is wider then the stock civics to accommodate for the wide fenders. There is an aftermarket company that sells a car replica bumper for the base civics. I think its ikon motorsports

123sillyboy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No. The type r bumper is wider then the stock civics to accommodate for the wide fenders. There is an aftermarket company that sells a car replica bumper for the base civics. I think its ikon motorsports
Thanks for the response.
I think I know which one you talk about, i saw one of the fellow here mounted that on his car and turns out great. I contacted ikon and they would charge US$1500 to ship it up to CANADA!! which i think is insane..I guess I will go with your way, just get a Type R lips and modify it to fit on my hatchback Sport..

Do you know if I need to remove OEM lips that come with sport model?
Thank you

Kane666

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i have the sport touring....couldnt i just swap without cutting?

OP
OP
Donuyen18

Donuyen18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda s2000
Country flag
I dont have experience with the sport lips but I would imagine you would want to remove it before adding the Type R lip. Otherwise, you would have a double lip going on in the fron

sam17civicsport

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport
Country flag
if anyone does this, and takes out their sport/sport touring front lips, I need one! :-D
Sponsored