Civic Type R Engine Named Wards 10 Best Engine 2018

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
I am suprised that BMW didnt win a single award. They used to do every year.
Sponsored

shihabp79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #2740
Country flag
I honestly do not like +R mode much. Maybe I'll change my mind when I get her on track but it's rough and the steering is so artificially heavy. I usually drive around in Comfort everywhere as it's still sporty but light steering is nice for city driving.

nothome17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 is 350 F
Country flag
I honestly do not like +R mode much. Maybe I'll change my mind when I get her on track but it's rough and the steering is so artificially heavy. I usually drive around in Comfort everywhere as it's still sporty but light steering is nice for city driving.
Would be nice to have a customizable mode.

EricDET

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
I totally agree with this statement. I'm all for great steering feel but it just feels too artificial.
I think the comfort mode is too light. I feel like I'm going to steer into a wall if I touch it. It probably matters what cars you drove before this also. The steering is Sport and R+ are way closer to what I'm used too than comfort.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
I think the comfort mode is too light. I feel like I'm going to steer into a wall if I touch it. It probably matters what cars you drove before this also. The steering is Sport and R+ are way closer to what I'm used too than comfort.
I was referring more to the +R mode. I never use comfort because I hate how light the steering is. It's just as light as the ILX I drive as a daily.

Sport mode imo is perfect.

+R steering just feels really artificial and fake. Some people confuse good steering feel to be heavy so I can understand why they made it this way.

I wish we had adjustable modes. Would be nice to have the rev match and the response feature of the +R while maintaining the sport mode steering feel. I guess a MoTeC would solve that problem lol.

Civzee

First Name
jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
You have a point there. Is it just me or do you guys agree that they tend to not have a middle ground since its either too heavy or too light?

Morning Mahogany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type-R
Country flag
It requires more than justification via mathematical numbers to truly understand what makes these engines special. It is difficult to understand or appreciate what is being commended until one experiences firsthand.

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I don't understand what you guys are talking about with R mode steering being "artificial." Doesn't it just reduce the steering assist, not actively fight you as you turn the wheel? Isn't that by definition not artificial? I used to drive a sixth gen Accord which I removed the power steering from. It felt pretty similar to R mode once the car was rolling.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
I don't understand what you guys are talking about with R mode steering being "artificial." Doesn't it just reduce the steering assist, not actively fight you as you turn the wheel? Isn't that by definition not artificial? I used to drive a sixth gen Accord which I removed the power steering from. It felt pretty similar to R mode once the car was rolling.
Correct.

Modern electric power steering systems simply reduce the amount of assistance in order to firm up the steering.

This is in contrast to something like GM's Magnasteer system that appeared in the 1990's on several models. This system use both a conventional, hydraulic power steering system to provide a "normal" amount of assistance and an electromagnet on the steering column that either provided additional assistance or resistance to steering input. When the system needed to firm up steering, it applied an electromagnetic force to the steering wheel - effectively "braking" it - instead of simply reducing power steering assist. Now, that's "artificial" steering feel! :)