Civic Type R at the track, goods and bads! Let's share our experience.

EricDET

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Thanks..
Yes, this is definitely a car for high speed tracks, not only because of the aero and stability, but also for the fact that it is difficult to put the power down in 1st and 2nd gear. You wanna be using 3rd thru 6th to maximize the car potential.
Agreed. Autoclub looks really fast and fun for that matter.
Sponsored

lawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ABM type r
Country flag
if ya'll track junkies dont mind me asking, where are all your rock chips?

Vaders CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 CLA 45 AMG & '22 Ariel Atom 4
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Have any of y'all tried adding Redline Water Wetter to your coolant? I know it works best with pure distilled water but it supposedly still improves cooling capacity mixed with coolant than coolant only.
It does help for sure. I have used in my radiator, upper intercooler, and lower heat exchanger on my Syclone. It makes a difference.

Anthony FK8

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91 hatch, 12 civic base, 14 Si, 17 CTR
Country flag
if ya'll track junkies dont mind me asking, where are all your rock chips?
I'm not sure I understand this question at all? Chips from rocks on the paint or on the intercooler/ radiator. Plus. Tracks with debris on it would not be safe. Rarely do I ever hear pings at a track. Mostly get smacked with OPR scuffs. But then again I have a whole frontal clear wrap. Fenders and all

lawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ABM type r
Country flag
I'm not sure I understand this question at all? Chips from rocks on the paint or on the intercooler/ radiator. Plus. Tracks with debris on it would not be safe. Rarely do I ever hear pings at a track. Mostly get smacked with OPR scuffs. But then again I have a whole frontal clear wrap. Fenders and all
I guess what i meant was since different cars have different aerodynamics, you'll see rock chips in different places. In my legacy i got most of my rock chips on the leading edge of my hood. On the s2k since it was lower it was the front bumper mostly. I know there arent a lot of rocks on tracks, but people go off, bring dirt on track and sometimes that shit hits your car at 90 mph and then that's a new chip. Basically I wanted to know where to do PPF (like if people noticed mainly on the hood, then i'd do the hood).

lawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ABM type r
Country flag
Any of you guys go out in stock pads and fluid report any issues?

OP
OP
Stig_jdm

Stig_jdm

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R, Evo X, S2000
Country flag
Any of you guys go out in stock pads and fluid report any issues?
Pads and fluids are pretty good.
My issue was with the rotor. It warped badly after my 2nd track day and I swapped with girodiscs 2 piece, but it all depends on how you drive.
Fluid you want to replace it every 4-5 track days.

Anthony FK8

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91 hatch, 12 civic base, 14 Si, 17 CTR
Country flag
I guess what i meant was since different cars have different aerodynamics, you'll see rock chips in different places. In my legacy i got most of my rock chips on the leading edge of my hood. On the s2k since it was lower it was the front bumper mostly. I know there arent a lot of rocks on tracks, but people go off, bring dirt on track and sometimes that shit hits your car at 90 mph and then that's a new chip. Basically I wanted to know where to do PPF (like if people noticed mainly on the hood, then i'd do the hood).
Oh okay I see, I have a subtle full frontal. On the track i only got hit with other people's rubber, I try to avoid people's rear ends on the open roads, I would recommend a full frontal PPF, the wheel well/lower rocker sees the most rock abuse from what I've observed.

OP
OP
Stig_jdm

Stig_jdm

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R, Evo X, S2000
Country flag
So, I went to Chuckwalla yesterday.
It was my first time ever there.
First session I followed an E36 M3 to learn the lines and managed a 2.06.5 with passenger.

2nd session I went by myself and there was little track time because of a red flag. I did a 2.06.0.

3rd session my car went in limp mode, not sure why, but I did put 5gal of 101 gas at the track, maybe the car did not like it? I filled up with 91 and car was good again.

4th session I had a full good session, but the tires were already gone. I put the bad tires to the back and the car became really fun, with reduced grip in the rear. I managed four 2.05 laps like that. I am looking forward to being able to add some negative camber up front.

jonnys_honda

First Name
Jonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R #1288
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
More power, more problems.

This weekend I met up with a couple Type R owners at Buttonwillow Raceway.

The main goal was to test how the extra power felt at the track since two of us have bolt-ons and custom tunes.

Ambient temperatures were 60 in the morning and rose to 85 in the afternoon. To get to the point, we found our cars overheating very easily. For my car, we could not get one hot lap before the water temps rose past 235F. This occurred within the very first session at 65F ambient temperature.

One of the Type R’s were completely stock, with only upgraded wheels/tires and a rear sway bar. He overheated after two laps.

So an issue with factory cooling is for sure a problem that gets compounded when you add more power.

Clement Kwong and Raceline USA were putting down hot laps all day with a factory Type R. I’m anticipating what revisions they made to the factory cooling so that we can all stay on the track longer! I only noticed a missing foglight on their Type R, perhaps redirecting airflow, coolant additives…?

A radiator upgrade and oil cooler would also help keep temps at bay.
My number 1 priority is now being directed to cooling. I think GReddy and Koyorad will come into play.

Additionally, talking to USR and their team has been a great benefit. They commented " a grill [will allow] more airflow to the radiator and HPD has followed suit with the same grill for their cars. But like I always say, everything adds up so for track guys anywhere that ambient temps get over 70, or high humidity I recommend the following: Grill with more open air space, turbo blanket, wrapped downpipe and front pipe, gold foil on oil pan, turbo inlet pipe, coolant lines, etc, distilled water with additive, oil cooler."

I have ordered the above mention Front Grill to allow better airflow. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Civic-10TH-JDM-Type-R-Gloss-Black-Front-Hood-Honeycomb-Mesh-Grill-for-2016/112675216381?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

IMG_2967.JPG

Nikon_JONNY-171v2.jpg

wassen

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Website
200sx.kicks-ass.net
Vehicle(s)
CTR 2017, Volvo V70
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for the track feedback. How do you all meassure the water temp? have you installed extra temp meters?
Is there any possibility to get the temp on a stock CTR in the displays?

jonnys_honda

First Name
Jonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R #1288
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for the track feedback. How do you all meassure the water temp? have you installed extra temp meters?
Is there any possibility to get the temp on a stock CTR in the displays?
Hondata let’s you see the data via obdii port. I see it live on my headunit. They have different sensors you can monitor.
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R at the track, goods and bads!  Let's share our experience. D7F14FBB-1E5F-4811-A926-A98C36884724

You can also see it if you buy one of those Bluetooth dongles for the obdii like the kiwi3 and you can download an app on your phone to monitor the cars sensors.

wassen

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Website
200sx.kicks-ass.net
Vehicle(s)
CTR 2017, Volvo V70
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Big thanks! Had no idea about this Kiwi thing haha =)
Will have to order a device like this before my first track day.

yargk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R, '16 GT4, '19 GSW 4motion 6mt
Country flag
Clement Kwong and Raceline USA were putting down hot laps all day with a factory Type R. I’m anticipating what revisions they made to the factory cooling so that we can all stay on the track longer! I only noticed a missing foglight on their Type R, perhaps redirecting airflow, coolant additives…?
Possible to bug them and ask to see under the hood? ;)
Sponsored