Civic Type R After-market Wheel Guide

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 STI
Country flag
So the problem here is the spoke design of the TE37/TE37SL versus the new TE37 Saga. The Saga by modern standards is a better wheel in terms weight to strength ratio, brake clearance, etc. However most people prefer the look of the OG spokes and we end up in this dilemma that we have here.

Because of this design difference it's harder for the TE37 Saga to get those TE37/SL Concave faces without getting very aggressive offsets or having crappy brake clearance. They could go back and make a TE37 with the old spoke design, but then the wheel would not have more strength or if it did it would be heavier, etc, etc. The TE37 Saga design is superior which is why it's the new version, but it's difficult to make them look the same when they're really different wheels that have 6 spokes and share the TE37 name.
Yeah, but you can see the difference in the shape of the spoke between the two. The OG/SL face spokes are wider at the center hub area and wider out where the spoke meets the outer rim. The spokes on the Saga are just smaller, in terms of width. Concavity and brake clearance aside, the spoke is just a different shape. Like in the middle of a 57DR and an OG TE37.

The improvements still could be made to the Saga while being more similar in appearance, if the spokes were just a few mm wider. The difference is fairly noticeable when comparing 17" wheels; even more apparent on 18" wheels.

wEaK Squad

*ATL*
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CBP FK8
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R After-market Wheel Guide 67BF6CF0-1DA5-4ADC-B4B8-10951D53FFBE

I’m not sure other than physically feeling the difference. I’ll have to weigh them soon.

wEaK Squad

*ATL*
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CBP FK8
Country flag
I had a titanium manufacturing company machine them for me

peterdawolf

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR #16318, 1995 M3 S/C in a 1994 325i
So here's a question - not sure if anyone knows.. Will a 275/35/R18 tire fit on an 18x9.5 ET45 wheel without rubbing the inside of the rear fender? I'm looking at the wheel calc site and it says it'll be 32.7mm further out, and I'm not sure if we have 32.7m of clearance *at* full suspension compression (thinking R mode, track day). All other things considered, I was pretty sure a 265/35/R18 would squeeze by on those size wheels, but the extra 5mm has me slightly concerned. Does anyone know who tracks a street driven CTR with that size? Trying to figure it out to pick up a lightly used set.

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So here's a question - not sure if anyone knows.. Will a 275/35/R18 tire fit on an 18x9.5 ET45 wheel without rubbing the inside of the rear fender? I'm looking at the wheel calc site and it says it'll be 32.7mm further out, and I'm not sure if we have 32.7m of clearance *at* full suspension compression (thinking R mode, track day). All other things considered, I was pretty sure a 265/35/R18 would squeeze by on those size wheels, but the extra 5mm has me slightly concerned. Does anyone know who tracks a street driven CTR with that size? Trying to figure it out to pick up a lightly used set.
ask @FK_8 I see he put on 275's: https://www.civicx.com/threads/what-did-you-do-to-your-type-r-today.13242/page-267#post-498559

On another note, anyone running 265/35-18 all weather tires on a 18x9.5 rim notice how unstable it feels when you come to a quick stop. I sometimes feel like the ass end is going to come around. I definitely had to calm down on my driving using these all weather tires...they flex more than the stockies.

CTRFK8

First Name
Sauce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR
Country flag
Pictures of timeattack has that concave look but the one you posted(first pic) has a flat face style to it,can it be the +44 offset? The other setup I saw available for bolt pattern 5Ă—120 was 18 8.5 +38.
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R After-market Wheel Guide volkracingte37saga_timeattack

Btw Mr Kamispeed, are you Samurai San hehe?

Last edited:

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
ask @FK_8 I see he put on 275's: https://www.civicx.com/threads/what-did-you-do-to-your-type-r-today.13242/page-267#post-498559

On another note, anyone running 265/35-18 all weather tires on a 18x9.5 rim notice how unstable it feels when you come to a quick stop. I sometimes feel like the ass end is going to come around. I definitely had to calm down on my driving using these all weather tires...they flex more than the stockies.
I definitely notice a lack of grip when going WOT - the VSA kicks in like mad all the way through the RPM range when it didn't really before. Other cars see a .05 or so reduction in skidpad from going to all-seasons from summer tires, so yeah your cornering is definitely going to suffer. My own back end hasn't felt particularly uncontrollable and I've found that the tires break loose predictably and progressively.

I've also noticed an occasional vibration - I had them balance my wheels twice, so I'm pretty sure it's not that. I'm going in for an alignment tomorrow - hopefully that makes things smooth again. Hopefully it's not something intrinsic to running a wider tire.

FK_8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR 187
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R After-market Wheel Guide 6377045C-5565-45DC-8BF0-EB94D2956E25

@peterdawolf

I put 275/35/18 Michelin PSS on 18x9.5 +45 wheels since October last year.
In March 2018 i lowered my car on Eibach ProKit.
Between October last year and today, i’ve had 4 track days - ZERO rub on both stock height & Prokit height.

I am currently on Eibach’s Prototype Sportline springs & am gonna mount the same wheel/tire spec in a week or so (pic above). I have track day scheduled on 11/24 with VtecClub Rd 5
I will update ASAP.

Currently, with the Sportline, i’ve been running 255/35/18 Federal RSRR (wider than usual) on 18x9.5 +35 wheels - so im really not worried about the +45 setup.

Hope that helps.