First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R #0426. 2014 Accord Coupe V6
Country flag
those are great wheels.

you're going the wrong way for snow tires. you want to go narrower, not wider since wider means less psi given the contact patch is bigger than a narrower tire. same weight pushing down on larger contact patch equals less psi vs same weight pushing down on smaller contact patch. result - you'll lose quite a bit of traction on snow and ice not to mention increased braking distance on slippery roads in winter.

it should be 235/45/18 or 245/40/18 max...not 265.
In addition to this a narrow tire is better especially in heavier snow. There is less tire width to plow throw the snow.
Sponsored

zsak

First Name
Tej
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Turbo S2000, 2014 SRT Jeep Grand Cherokee , 1998 Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
Thanks I like them a lot as well. As for the snow tires I agree a bit more narrow tire would have been better however I had these sitting in my garage from my last car which was on a ATSV and I was planning to make a move to Florida next year so I figure I can deal with it for a year :) Also if it gets really bad I have a old Wrangler I will probably use. Btw your wheel selection will be on point! In a side note since putting these wheels and snow tires on I have not felt much difference in the handling characteristics as far as a daily driver in fact I was a little surprised how much grip i still have when driving a little aggressive. I am sure track duty will be different.
those are great wheels.

you're going the wrong way for snow tires. you want to go narrower, not wider since wider means less psi given the contact patch is bigger than a narrower tire. same weight pushing down on larger contact patch equals less psi vs same weight pushing down on smaller contact patch. result - you'll lose quite a bit of traction on snow and ice not to mention increased braking distance on slippery roads in winter.

it should be 235/45/18 or 245/40/18 max...not 265.

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 lambo lp550-2, '18 honda ctr cw (r-12321), 14' porsche cayman s, '16 porsche macan s, '13 mini jcw nme stage 1, '15 audi s3 apr stage 2, '15 audi q3, '12 monster 1100 evo, '16 triumph thruxton r, deposited for '19 lambo huracan performante
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
OEM contis have NO treadwear warranty.

The 30k estimate for the Michelin PS4S is based on 1) the mileage warranty offered by the manufacturer and 2) consumer reviews from Tirerack with quoted mileage. For the OEM Continental tires I originally estimated 15k, but after taking treadwear measurements myself at 5k and 7.5k I realized that they weren't quite going to make it. Even in simple commuting with rare trips to the canyons the front OEM tires wear away 3/32" every 5k miles. Here are my tirewear measurements from the OEM tires:

4,967 miles:
Screen Shot 2018-10-18 at 2.55.04 AM.png

***Rotate Tires***

9,559 miles:
Screen Shot 2018-10-18 at 2.55.33 AM.png

This is the treadwear observed on mostly commuting miles with a perfect alignment. While I could have probably gotten away with another 2.5k miles here in SoCal, I'm not really comfortable driving through rain with less than 5/32" remaining.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions!!

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 lambo lp550-2, '18 honda ctr cw (r-12321), 14' porsche cayman s, '16 porsche macan s, '13 mini jcw nme stage 1, '15 audi s3 apr stage 2, '15 audi q3, '12 monster 1100 evo, '16 triumph thruxton r, deposited for '19 lambo huracan performante
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks I like them a lot as well. As for the snow tires I agree a bit more narrow tire would have been better however I had these sitting in my garage from my last car which was on a ATSV and I was planning to make a move to Florida next year so I figure I can deal with it for a year :) Also if it gets really bad I have a old Wrangler I will probably use. Btw your wheel selection will be on point! In a side note since putting these wheels and snow tires on I have not felt much difference in the handling characteristics as far as a daily driver in fact I was a little surprised how much grip i still have when driving a little aggressive. I am sure track duty will be different.
ah i see, makes sense with a wrangler as backup.

when you say "grip", are you referring to lateral or longitudinal? most ppl think of longitudinal as in forward grip for acceleration off the line. just curious...

i tend to think of grip more laterally as in cornering.

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

zsak

First Name
Tej
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Turbo S2000, 2014 SRT Jeep Grand Cherokee , 1998 Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
I am similar to yourself, when I think grip I think in cornering. We have some very nice and twisty roads up here in the black hills so I always use them as my reference. If we do go down to Florida I am going to miss these roads dearly as the roads down there are pretty boring. Now with that said I just pushed these tires a minute ago in a small mountain pass near my work and while the car felt fairly planted there were a few hair pin turns where it wanted to understeer. I am thinking it’s the snow compound as you can tell by it being more squishy.

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am similar to yourself, when I think grip I think in cornering. We have some very nice and twisty roads up here in the black hills so I always use them as my reference. If we do go down to Florida I am going to miss these roads dearly as the roads down there are pretty boring. Now with that said I just pushed these tires a minute ago in a small mountain pass near my work and while the car felt fairly planted there were a few hair pin turns where it wanted to understeer. I am thinking it’s the snow compound as you can tell by it being more squishy.
nice, yes, some nice roads in south dakota for sure as i see in your location. from florida you can always drive up to tail of the dragon.

likely it's the snow tire "eraserhead" blocks.

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In addition to this a narrow tire is better especially in heavier snow. There is less tire width to plow throw the snow.
do you guys even get much snow down there last couple winters? here in columbus last year barely any snow and sort of wasted my snow tires on other cars lol.

CincyTypeR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R #0426. 2014 Accord Coupe V6
Country flag
do you guys even get much snow down there last couple winters? here in columbus last year barely any snow and sort of wasted my snow tires on other cars lol.
Winter here in Cincinnati has been very mild past couple years. Although I have only lived here for four years. Originally from Michigan so I have dealt with heavy snow there.

Chikane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ABM Civic Type R, 2005 S2000
Heard on the News today that weather forecasters are calling for a mild winter this year. However, it's still supposedly a wet year, because of the El nino developing in the coast so less snow but lots of rain and probably freezing rain etc. I'm still going to go with a performance winter set up since it deals with cold rain better than all seasons and summers imho.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/18/us/winter-forecast-2018-19-wxc/index.html
https://www.almanac.com/content/2019-winter-weather-forecast

FK8 Twigs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR #01007
Country flag
Woohoo just heard the Regamasters have arrived stateside! Can't wait for these, but won't be until next year when they are mounted since winter is approaching..

wEaK Squad

*ATL*
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CBP FK8
Country flag
*waiting at my mailbox since wednesday* :cloud: