Civic Type R After-market Wheel Guide

R-09203

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Given that recent set of wheels I am taking a liking to, after the cost of 4 wheels, getting the color you want (which seems to be an added premium cost), 4 performance tires, alignment, I'd say 4k is around the ballpark of a set of Volk Racing TE37s wheels before everything else. Setup for 19s also seem to not be as widely available as 18s.
I chose these wheels to keep the offset as near to OEM as possible. My second option was to purchase the FK2 Type R wheels (http://www.tegiwaimports.com/genuine-honda-19-alloy-wheel-black-civic-type-r-fk2-fk8.html) and wrap them in an ultra-high performance tire such as the Michelin AS 3+. That would reduce the cost significantly as you would not need to refinish, plus the wheel/tires are cheaper individually.

That option still lends a performance/tire option increase as the wheels are lighter than OEM FK8 wheels.
Sponsored

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW GTI, 2018 ABM CTR R-17001
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Now I want to do that for my NSX wheels and get them refinished in bronze or something....need to look around locally...

SpicyMcFatburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 1976 Datsun 280Z
Country flag
***UPDATE**** its been a week since ive been running the ampliforms 18x9.5+35 wrapped in 265/35/18 lowered on eibach and as of now no rubbing no fender work!
What sort of camber are you running? And what tire? I just ordered a set of wheels in this size and am trying to decide on tires. If you're not rubbing on 265s then hopefully I won't, either.

keiothic

Banned
Banned
First Name
YoK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 CW #22485
Country flag
I kinda like this idea.

I chose these wheels to keep the offset as near to OEM as possible. My second option was to purchase the FK2 Type R wheels (http://www.tegiwaimports.com/genuine-honda-19-alloy-wheel-black-civic-type-r-fk2-fk8.html) and wrap them in an ultra-high performance tire such as the Michelin AS 3+. That would reduce the cost significantly as you would not need to refinish, plus the wheel/tires are cheaper individually.

That option still lends a performance/tire option increase as the wheels are lighter than OEM FK8 wheels.

R-09203

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R After-market Wheel Guide NSX v FK2
I kinda like this idea.
It's a very good compromise. You maintain the exact OEM offset (+60mm), you gain access to a wider selection of tire options, you reduce rotating mass, and you can select a tire with extended tread life. Here is a comparison showing you the NSX v FK2 wheel choice (all values are in dollars, converted from British pounds sterling and current as of today). For this comparison, I priced the Michelin PS A/S 3+, which is an ultra-high performance all season tire. It gives you grip in dry, wet, and light snow conditions as well as a 45,000 mile warranty. All of those aspects are a benefit to me as my Type R is a daily driver. The difference between max-performance summer and ultra-high performance all season is noticeable, but only during your backroad attacks. In daily use, you shouldn't notice any performance deficit. Also, if the A/S tires just aren't enough, you can opt for the Michelin PS4S (which I've done) and retain the high grip level of the OEM Continentals. The Michelin tires, however, boast a 30,000 mile warranty!!

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
I've been waiting to see a set of custom coated Black NSX rims on the CTR. Looks great!
Thank you very much for posting along with the long term cost analysis.

SBD47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Honda CR-V
Country flag
NSXWheels_1.png
NSXWheels_2.png
NSXWheels_3.png

Acura NSX F Wheel Set

Diameter: 19”

Width: 8.5”

Offset: +55mm

Weight: 18.9 lbs/ea (after powdercoat application)

Hub: Requires hubcentric ring (70.1mm – 64.1mm)

Tires: Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (245/35zr19)

Notes: Wheels were chem-stripped to raw material, then powdercoated in gloss black to match the OEM centercaps.

I have attached my wheel upgrade analysis documenting fit, cost, and projected savings based on available tire compounds in the 19” range.

These are the wheels that Honda should’ve included with the Type-R PERIOD! Looks great dude! Congrats!

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag
No rubbing on bumps??
I like to have some fun from time to time. Going to bet that there is rubbing. I ran Bridgestone 255s on my S2K, they looked like they straight up 275 wide.

Anything less than 40 offset is going to take care. Especially if your lowered. We’re talking a few mm here and there and you may need to cut, roll, or do some camber. Also running a 40 series adding mm to the height, worse with some tires better with others.

In general, at <40 you start really paying attn to the type of tire your running.

I just picked up a set of 40 offset RSRs and will be running 265/35 all around. Apparently it will not rub but I’m not so sure about that. It will be close. Maybe to close for comfort. Dunno yet. It will all depend on how the tires will actually be.

In hindsight I think the only safe no worries offset is 45. That gives you a lot of room to play with and you don’t have to worry about the difference between tires of the same size as much. Really amazing how the same size tire can differ so much. When there isn’t much room to play you notice.

For those that are going extreme, well you knew you were going to cut ;-). Which I hear isn’t so bad.

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag
I like to have some fun from time to time. Going to bet that there is rubbing. I ran Bridgestone 255s on my S2K, they looked like they straight up 275 wide.

Anything less than 40 offset is going to take care. Especially if your lowered. We’re talking a few mm here and there and you may need to cut, roll, or do some camber. Also running a 40 series adding mm to the height, worse with some tires better with others.

In general, at <40 you start really paying attn to the type of tire your running.

I just picked up a set of 40 offset RSRs and will be running 265/35 all around. Apparently it will not rub but I’m not so sure about that. It will be close. Maybe to close for comfort. Dunno yet. It will all depend on how the tires will actually be.

In hindsight I think the only safe no worries offset is 45. That gives you a lot of room to play with and you don’t have to worry about the difference between tires of the same size as much. Really amazing how the same size tire can differ so much. When there isn’t much room to play you notice.

For those that are going extreme, well you knew you were going to cut ;-). Which I hear isn’t so bad.
Looks like a one or two people are running this offset and tire size without rubbing. Need some verification though.

DKL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Challenger Hellcat. '06 Z4 '97 Supra '18 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here is my TE37 Saga Takata Green 18x9.5 +45 on AD08R 255/40 on stock suspension for now

CDCFCFC8-64BC-4778-8ADE-17776D129FD1.jpeg

45459EE7-A4CF-49AE-B93A-FA344801A3B6.jpeg
I've ordered a set of VMR 705s in the same wheel dimensions, and was thinking about that same tire setup. Any rubbing?