First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you don’t know why those wheels are considered cheap, you’re not ready to leave the stock setup.
I’m ready to leave the stock set up because I need all season tires. So how about you be a little more helpful and tell me why you despise them so much? I understand they aren’t top tier 1000$ wheels you’d put on a Lamborghini, but I just can’t afford that stuff or I would. Would you reccomend I go 18 inch instead so I could get a little higher quality wheel? Thanks.
Sponsored

Last edited:

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’m ready to leave the stock set up because I need all season tires. So how about you be a little more helpful and tell me why you despise them so much? I understand they aren’t top tier 1000$ wheels you’d put on a Lamborghini, but I just can’t afford that stuff or I would. Would you reccomend I go 18 inch instead so I could get a little higher quality wheel? Thanks.
I say go 18s. I have some Enkei YS5s and love them...tires are cheaper also.

As for why he says those chose of wheels are cheap...probably because they sound like some no name brand I guess? However, the wheel choice you picked weighs 5lbs lighter than the OEM rim

Last edited:

ExileAeterna

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I say go 18s. I have some Enkei YS5s and love them...tires are cheaper also.

As for why he says those chose of wheels are cheap...probably because they sound like some no name brand I guess? However, the wheel choice you picked weighs 5lbs lighter than the OEM rim
Noted, do 8 width wheels fit on the Type R? Tire rack says it goes down to even 7.5, but I'm just not sure and don't want to risk it. I'm looking at 18 inch Flow F4's which I like more than the F3's, but the 3's do go up to 8.5.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
You posted a screenshot asking for opinions. I gave you one. You never mentioned your intended use. If you want to ruin your car's handling characteristics then by all means buy whatever you want. Buying a sub 200 dollar low quality cast wheel just makes no sense to me...

ExileAeterna

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You posted a screenshot asking for opinions. I gave you one. You never mentioned your intended use. If you want to ruin your car's handling characteristics then by all means buy whatever you want. Buying a sub 200 dollar low quality cast wheel just makes no sense to me...
How would you rate these guys? Seems more reputable.

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R After-market Wheel Guide new CTR setup.PNG

ExileAeterna

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Let's start with why you want all season tires?
I live in Idaho and will be here for one more winter. I don’t have the ability for two sets of tires yet, so I need all seasons for just a couple years before I can buy a dedicated summer winter setup.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
I live in Idaho and will be here for one more winter. I don’t have the ability for two sets of tires yet, so I need all seasons for just a couple years before I can buy a dedicated summer winter setup.
The Michelin AS3s are a good tire. I'd stick with those. Do some research on wheels. Try to find a reputable company that fits your budget. Rays, Wedssport, Work, Advan, Titan 7, Enkei, etc are all good places to start.

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
I find it kind of wild that this thread is simultaneously discussing what I think is one of the ultimate setups - @Vaders CTR 's 19x9.5ET45 ZE40+265/30x19 Cup2 - and low-cost budget setups.

@ExileAeterna At under $200, you're looking at cast wheels, and so they'll be heavy to be strong. Unless you have really smooth roads, (cheap) lightweight cast wheels might prove to be too fragile. MSW is a known-good brand offering cast wheels under $200. (There are other brands - in particular Enkei - which is probably the best-known brand for good strong budget wheels - but it looks like TireRack is sold out of budget Enkei's.) Look for an offset of ET45 or (preferably) greater, and as wide as possible, at least 8.5". My budget wheels are Enkei GP5's 18x9ET45, which were $110 a wheel when I picked them up from TireRack last year. Heavy as f*ck, but durable. I have Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3's on those wheels, which I can recommend. I went with 245/40x18 to get a 40-series sidewall for maximum pothole/bad road/construction resistance and better rain/snow performance than lower-profile tires (all other things being equal). There are lower-priced all-seasons - there are always Sumitomo's, for example - but I would argue that the AS/3+ are best-in-class, and that's something you can feel every time you drive.

zelmo

First Name
Romy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2020 Honda Pilot
Country flag
The Michelin AS3s are a good tire. I'd stick with those. Do some research on wheels. Try to find a reputable company that fits your budget. Rays, Wedssport, Work, Advan, Titan 7, Enkei, etc are all good places to start.
If he's on a budget, he shouldn't look at those wheels you mentioned.

I would recommend VMR (which I have), TSW or Konig for budget wheels.

OP
OP
Kami Speed

Kami Speed

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Billy @ Kami
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kamispeed.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda CR-Z & 2006 Honda S2000
Country flag
Close! Sport Cup 2's instead of the 4s. Everything else as you know, right on!

Thanks again for the help with getting those!
I'll fix thatttttt

OP
OP
Kami Speed

Kami Speed

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Billy @ Kami
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kamispeed.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Overall how much are you looking to spend? Tire rack has a lot of us beat in that they can mount and balance before shipping, but their selection is somewhat generic, I'd love to help find something in your budget

ExileAeterna

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Overall how much are you looking to spend? Tire rack has a lot of us beat in that they can mount and balance before shipping, but their selection is somewhat generic, I'd love to help find something in your budget
Anywhere between 1-2k for the total wheel and tire setup. Nothing over 2k unless it was the best wheel on earth for sale. I’m big on style though, and aren’t extremely fond of tons of spokes. The Flow one F3’s are as about as spokey as I would go. ATS racelights are my dream wheel and style.

OP
OP
Kami Speed

Kami Speed

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Billy @ Kami
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kamispeed.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Anywhere between 1-2k for the total wheel and tire setup. Nothing over 2k unless it was the best wheel on earth for sale. I’m big on style though, and aren’t extremely fond of tons of spokes. The Flow one F3’s are as about as spokey as I would go. ATS racelights are my dream wheel and style.
ah I see, well Weds is trying to get some of their new RN series wheels out there and there's a new model that is similar spoke configuration:

http://www.kamispeed.com/WedsSport-RN-55M-18x9-45-5x120-Civic-Type-R-p/wds.72964.htm

I know it's a bit out of the price range but let me know if you're interested and I'll see if I can work up something in your budget
Sponsored