Civic Type R After-market Wheel Guide

HRace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Country flag
my new set of nsx front 19x8.5 +55mm et wheels are arriving tomorrow from grp who's amazing to work with. these are the oem forged nsx y-spoke wheels in metallic grey and weigh 10 lbs less per wheel (40 lbs total weight saving). i had grp mounted bridgestone re-71r tires in size 245/35/19. this setup is the only -1 setup i've found to be the closest to stock specs (almost perfect) without killing the scrub radius and upsetting the front suspension design.

total for the set $3702 including mount, balance, and ship from grp located 3 hrs west of me. i have the conical-to-ball seat lug nut adapters coming along with black open ended conical lug nuts from motorsport hardware to use with the nsx wheels (see my post on this here: https://www.civicx.com/threads/ctr-lug-nuts-solution.22905/)

thanks to @chi town brat for her input as she has the same wheels.

my 3rd set of wheels are the limited edition volk racing ze40 time attacked wheels in 19x9.5 +44mm et i have pre-ordered ($3,700 per set) but won't arrive until june. i'll use those for track time with tbd r-compound only track tires.

4th set of wheels are 19 or 18" for use with runflat snow tires, blizzak or pirellis. still looking for a good low budget set since this is best time of year to get winter wheels-tires because of clearance and sales.
Anxious to see pics of the NSX wheels on a white CTR! Let us know what socket you use since it seems like a thin wall one is needed. That’s a great set up (wheel plus tire).
Sponsored

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 lambo lp550-2, '18 honda ctr cw (r-12321), 14' porsche cayman s, '16 porsche macan s, '13 mini jcw nme stage 1, '15 audi s3 apr stage 2, '15 audi q3, '12 monster 1100 evo, '16 triumph thruxton r, deposited for '19 lambo huracan performante
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Anxious to see pics of the NSX wheels on a white CTR! Let us know what socket you use since it seems like a thin wall one is needed. That’s a great set up (wheel plus tire).
ok will know once the lugs arrive. i'm using the nsx wheels for daily driving.

HRace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Country flag
my new set of nsx front 19x8.5 +55mm et wheels are arriving tomorrow from grp who's amazing to work with. these are the oem forged nsx y-spoke wheels in metallic grey and weigh 10 lbs less per wheel (40 lbs total weight saving). i had grp mounted bridgestone re-71r tires in size 245/35/19. this setup is the only -1 setup i've found to be the closest to stock specs (almost perfect) without killing the scrub radius and upsetting the front suspension design.
What valve stems did you guys decide to use? I’d assume not the TPMS ones from the NSX but any standard valve stem? How about hubrings. I know Graham says no need but I was going to pick some up if I went with NSX wheels. Thanks.

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 lambo lp550-2, '18 honda ctr cw (r-12321), 14' porsche cayman s, '16 porsche macan s, '13 mini jcw nme stage 1, '15 audi s3 apr stage 2, '15 audi q3, '12 monster 1100 evo, '16 triumph thruxton r, deposited for '19 lambo huracan performante
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What valve stems did you guys decide to use? I’d assume not the TPMS ones from the NSX but any standard valve stem? How about hubrings. I know Graham says no need but I was going to pick some up if I went with NSX wheels. Thanks.
i don't know actually. graham took care of everything for me. i trust that whatever they used will work for the ctr. no hub rings needed since it's a perfect fit on the hub.

working directly with graham (lives 20 mins east of me) to schedule our project. we're both collecting parts then he'll come with his 28 ft intech trailer to take my ctr 3 hrs west to grp and have everything installed and tuned...

HRace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Country flag
i don't know actually. graham took care of everything for me. i trust that whatever they used will work for the ctr. no hub rings needed since it's a perfect fit on the hub.

working directly with graham (lives 20 mins east of me) to schedule our project. we're both collecting parts then he'll come with his 28 ft intech trailer to take my ctr 3 hrs west to grp and have everything installed and tuned...
Sweet project!

civicArrr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag

total for the set $3702 including mount, balance, and ship from grp located 3 hrs west of me. i have the conical-to-ball seat lug nut adapters coming along with black open ended conical lug nuts from motorsport hardware to use with the nsx wheels (see my post on this here: https://www.civicx.com/threads/ctr-lug-nuts-solution.22905/)

thanks to @chi town brat for her input as she has the same wheels.

my 3rd set of wheels are the limited edition volk racing ze40 time attacked wheels in 19x9.5 +44mm et i have pre-ordered ($3,700 per set) but won't arrive until june. i'll use those for track time with tbd r-compound only track tires.

4th set of wheels are 19 or 18" for use with runflat snow tires, blizzak or pirellis. still looking for a good low budget set since this is best time of year to get winter wheels-tires because of clearance and sales.

2523758.jpg
Thanks for the info. Considering there aren't too many other options at this time besides the NSX wheels you indicated (+45 appears to be the closet from most common manufacturers), running 275/35/18x9.5 (18s for DD) at +45 offset, you get I believe you get a positive scrub radius of 21/32". That sounds pretty significant in terms of what FWD should have relative to zero scrub radius (which I believe is what Honda aimed for to reduce torque steer). From my understanding, positive scrub radius may cause increased wear to suspension components (bearings, etc.) as opposed to zero scrub. How significant is 21/32" positive scrub radius and is it really that damaging? Enough to stop the dealer from providing warranty on the suspension?

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for the info. Considering there aren't too many other options at this time besides the NSX wheels you indicated (+45 appears to be the closet from most common manufacturers), running 275/35/18x9.5 (18s for DD) at +45 offset, you get I believe you get a positive scrub radius of 21/32". That sounds pretty significant in terms of what FWD should have relative to zero scrub radius (which I believe is what Honda aimed for to reduce torque steer). From my understanding, positive scrub radius may cause increased wear to suspension components (bearings, etc.) as opposed to zero scrub. How significant is 21/32" positive scrub radius and is it really that damaging? Enough to stop the dealer from providing warranty on the suspension?
according to the calculator using those specs you've listed, i see 16mm positive scrub radius from stock of zero or close to your 21/32". what's the impact? i can't tell you unless i'm using those specs personally so don't know. what i've seen and read are guys (who are willing to admit it) using +38 or +35 or heaven forbid using +25mm spacers complain about increased torque steer upon forward acceleration. i guess i don't care for that change in steering dynamics personally. maybe +45 isn't too bad but what are you feeling so far?

https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?wh...-18X9.5ET45&fcl=50mm&wcl=30mm&scl=50mm&sr=0mm

answer is yes - dealer won't cover your wheel bearings if they go bad and are caused by some kind of wheel setup. that's an easy correlation to make if you're using some funky setup.

i think i've seen +50 wheels from titan 7 if i recall correctly, don't quote me...and maybe another wheel, just can't remember. as for the tires, anything more than 245 width for daily will reduce your gas mileage and possibly forward acceleration since you have a wider contact patch. personally i don't see the need for wider than 245 on daily street really.

then there's this question (or notion) i keep getting, "hey i want to reduce wheel hop...what size wheels and tires do i need?" the answer is STOP dumping the damn clutch in first gear! it's a fwd car - it's going to hop because you're dumping the clutch with cold tires which starts the oscillation, and since stock suspension bushings are rubber, the whole assembly will "hop" due to on/off traction. changing tires or wheels is not the answer to reducing wheel hop, but upgrading suspension bushings to stiffer ones will....else just stop dumping the clutch smh!

Last edited:

civicArrr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
according to the calculator using those specs you've listed, i see 16mm positive scrub radius from stock of zero or close to your 21/32". what's the impact? i can't tell you unless i'm using those specs personally so don't know. what i've seen and read are guys (who are willing to admit it) using +38 or +35 or heaven forbid using +25mm spacers complain about increased torque steer upon forward acceleration. i guess i don't care for that change in steering dynamics personally. maybe +45 isn't too bad but what are you feeling so far?

https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?wh...-18X9.5ET45&fcl=50mm&wcl=30mm&scl=50mm&sr=0mm

answer is yes - dealer won't cover your wheel bearings if they go bad and are caused by some kind of wheel setup. that's an easy correlation to make if you're using some funky setup.

i think i've seen +50 wheels from titan 7 if i recall correctly, don't quote me...and maybe another wheel, just can't remember. as for the tires, anything more than 245 width for daily will reduce your gas mileage and possibly forward acceleration since you have a wider tread pattern. personally i don't see the need for wider than 245 on daily street really.

then there's this question (or notion) i keep getting, "hey i want to reduce wheel hop...what size wheels and tires do i need?" the answer is STOP dumping the damn clutch in first gear! it's a fwd car - it's going to hop because you're dumping the clutch with cold tires which starts the oscillation, and since stock suspension bushings are rubber, the whole assembly will "hop" due to on/off traction. changing tires or wheels is not the answer to reducing wheel hop, but upgrading suspension bushings to stiffer ones will....else just stop dumping the clutch smh!
Thanks for the info. Kind of disappointed that Honda hasn't offered another option, as 20in wheels are just not the best option for DD depending on the road conditions. Not as concerned about steering dynamics at this point based on other people's feedback, more the damage that can be incurred. Wheel bearings aren't that expensive but other components can be costly. My concern is how accelerated the damage would be with the amount of positive scrub radius. I thought 5mm or less was optimal. 16mm seems quite excessive(?)

No worries about wheel hop, I don't plan on destroying my R by dumping the clutch. Still babying it as I break it in.

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So beautiful! NSX OEM forged 19x8.5 +55mm ET and 245/35/19 Bridgestone RE-71R tires came from GRP and the crew
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R After-market Wheel Guide 1f618
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R After-market Wheel Guide 1f44d
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R After-market Wheel Guide 1f60e

Freaking light at 19.75 lbs vs stock CTR 20” wheels weighing 29.75 lbs
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R After-market Wheel Guide 1f633

Waiting for the 64.1 —> 70.3 hub rings (NSX has larger hubs), conical to ball seat lug nut adapters, and black open ended forged lug nuts to come yet
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R After-market Wheel Guide 1f937_200d_2642

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R After-market Wheel Guide IMG_8835.JPG Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R After-market Wheel Guide IMG_8836.JPG Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R After-market Wheel Guide IMG_8837.JPG

Last edited:

R-00123

First Name
Dallas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 type r fk8
Country flag
I've got another question.
Just got my wheels Saturday,
O.Z. Ultraleggera 18Ă—8 +40 bronze with continental extremecontact 235/45/18
(along with the remus exhaust ;) ).
Have some basic pictures, nothing special yet.
As for the question, I'm not sure if what I'm noticing is real or subconscious, but I feel like there's more dead space (or dead zone) in steering, definitely noticeable at a stop. But not sure if I'm just worried and making stuff up in my mind. If it's real is it a sign that an alignment needs done, or is it going to be fine? ( the change in overall wheel position is an extra 26mm of inner wheel clearance and 16mm more on the face of the wheels.
Thanks!
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R After-market Wheel Guide 20180408_084407
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R After-market Wheel Guide 20180408_084414
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R After-market Wheel Guide 20180408_084420

CincyTypeR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R #0426. 2014 Accord Coupe V6
Country flag
My guess is your are feeling a difference in the responsiveness of the tire. Going to the 235/45 adds more sidewall and flex.

R-00123

First Name
Dallas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 type r fk8
Country flag
My guess is your are feeling a difference in the responsiveness of the tire. Going to the 235/45 adds more sidewall and flex.
That makes sense. They are also a harder compound. The tread wear rating on the stock tires is 240 whereas these are 560.

dusty kemp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rallye Red Civic Type R
Country flag

Unless I hijack the trailer as it goes by.....

R-00123

First Name
Dallas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 type r fk8
Country flag
dang.. never seen anyone run a 45 series on a R.. my guess is that it takes the performance out of the car..
Yea it does a bit, I was going for more of a daily setup. I wanted to save the stock wheels and tires for track days and not eat away the tread because it's also my daily currently.
Only reason I went with a 45 series is because on the 18in wheel it keeps the overall diameter of the stock wheel/tire package almost the same. With a less than 1% difderence.
Sponsored