baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
I'll look into some options, got a price range you wanted to stay within?
Thanks for looking.
Right now there are, AFAIK, two possibilities that cover the price range: the Honda rims for the previous-gen Type R at about $500 each, and Mugen MFC's (fit on FK8 not yet 100% confirmed) at about $1500 each. Of course, at/over the $1500 each price point, there are numerous wheels available, but the quest is for rims closer to the $500 price point while being lighter than Honda OE.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Kami Speed

Kami Speed

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Billy @ Kami
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kamispeed.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda CR-Z & 2006 Honda S2000
Country flag
It looks like SSR has a lot of different sizes that would work with the Type R.. just browsing online

https://www.evasivemotorsports.com/...=CTGY&Store_Code=EM&Category_Code=PROF-SP1-19
SSR, Work, and Weds all have modular wheels that can be made for the CTR. The problem is that the FK8 offset will give you a very minimal lip especially since you need proper brake clearance up front. We just had a set of SP1 built for a 370Z and the customers color combo came out gorgeous:

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R After-market Wheel Guide 20248034_10155556357279439_4487421076999820191_o

Specs are 19x11 +11 SL-Face which is 131mm lip :O

OP
OP
Kami Speed

Kami Speed

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Billy @ Kami
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kamispeed.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for looking.
Right now there are, AFAIK, two possibilities that cover the price range: the Honda rims for the previous-gen Type R at about $500 each, and Mugen MFC's (fit on FK8 not yet 100% confirmed) at about $1500 each. Of course, at/over the $1500 each price point, there are numerous wheels available, but the quest is for rims closer to the $500 price point while being lighter than Honda OE.
So 500-1500 but preferably closer to 500 per wheel. Should be able to find something for you!

FK8 Twigs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR #01007
Country flag
SSR, Work, and Weds all have modular wheels that can be made for the CTR. The problem is that the FK8 offset will give you a very minimal lip especially since you need proper brake clearance up front. We just had a set of SP1 built for a 370Z and the customers color combo came out gorgeous

Specs are 19x11 +11 SL-Face which is 131mm lip :O
Those look sweet!

Wheel_Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Passport Elite, '16 Ducati Multistrada 1200 Enduro
Country flag
What stress tests can you share?

What standard do these wheels meet? JWL? JWL+R?

Rays shares it on their site:

IMG_3006.PNG
IMG_3005.PNG

IMG_3003.PNG
IMG_3004.PNG
Very smart to be skeptical. I know HRE intimately and they design all their wheels to pass European TUV specifications (vs. JWL or SAE) as they do a lot of business in Japan and Europe and it has to be legit. They obviously adjust their load ratings to be appropriate for the vehicle targets (small cars don't get same load rating as large sedans and especially SUVs). If you research the R101LW, you'll see they take this further and the savings are not because they're compromising safety, but they're designing everything around a single vehicle application so the load rating is directly applicable and they don't have any extra material in the areas where it is usually just there to accommodate multiple vehicle fitments. A normal HRE forged wheel that wasn't designed specifically for the CTR, would easily be in the 20-25lb range depending on the style so your skepticism is completely understandable and you're smart to question it. ANYBODY can make a wheel that is lightweight. The challenge is to do it well to ensure that it is strong and safe. HRE, just like Rays and BBS, isn't going to mess around with something like this.

HRE has an open-door policy so you guys that are in SoCal should make a point to stop by HRE if you have any questions as they're very open and forthcoming with technical info in person. If you've ever been to their annual open house, it is pretty informative and pretty obvious that they're not hiding anything or faking it. HRE is a tiny company so can't do OE business like Rays or BBS, but they do support Honda in their R&D efforts. They made a couple hundred wheels specifically for Honda to support the 2nd gen NSX development and this type of R&D cooperation continues with Honda as well as other OEs. HRE's president is also a major Honda fanboy (former NSX owner) and is looking for a CTR as a DD for himself... and he's a mechanical engineer so faking it isn't the way he operates. Obviously HRE doesn't normally focus on the Civic market, but when the boss is a Honda fanboy, wheels like a CTR version of the R101LW get made, particularly when you have people like Rahal asking for it too.

Crazy expensive? Maybe. Few HREs are cheap, but I wouldn't worry that they're not strong or safe.

Last edited:

OP
OP
Kami Speed

Kami Speed

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Billy @ Kami
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kamispeed.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If only those came in 19s :(

I think 18s look a tad small on this car.
standard ZE40's are available 19x8.5 +35 5x120, want me to inquire if they'll make the Time Attack in that size?

OP
OP
Kami Speed

Kami Speed

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Billy @ Kami
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kamispeed.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for looking.
Did a quick search and nothing, best I found was a Work Gnosis wheel that could be made 19x8.5 +49 5x120... I imagine you would want to stay monoblock right? If so I'll have to contact companies for a special size, the problem is the 5x120 out is for BMW and there is no BMW that would want a 19x8.5 +53 lol, most start at +45 if not +38. I'll reach out to a few companies and see what is required to have something made.

GSquared

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R (SGP), 2017 Civic Type-R (PMM - SOLD), 2015 Civic Si (Sold), 2013 Si Turbo (Sold)
Country flag
standard ZE40's are available 19x8.5 +35 5x120, want me to inquire if they'll make the Time Attack in that size?
Can't hurt to ask! I just checked their site and the ZE40 TA Edition isn't spec'ed as 5x120 in any size apparently based on their size chart. :(

OP
OP
Kami Speed

Kami Speed

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Billy @ Kami
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kamispeed.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Can't hurt to ask! I just checked their site and the ZE40 TA Edition isn't spec'ed as 5x120 in any size apparently based on their size chart. :(
If you click on the import tab they have just two sizes in 5x120: 18x9.5 +19 and 18x10.5 +19 lol

GSquared

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R (SGP), 2017 Civic Type-R (PMM - SOLD), 2015 Civic Si (Sold), 2013 Si Turbo (Sold)
Country flag
If you click on the import tab they have just two sizes in 5x120: 18x9.5 +19 and 18x10.5 +19 lol
Yep, just saw that. Little wide for us, not sure that would be doable without some rubbing :dunno:

OP
OP
Kami Speed

Kami Speed

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Billy @ Kami
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kamispeed.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yep, just saw that. Little wide for us, not sure that would be doable without some rubbing :dunno:
rub city lol... I'll see if they can do 19x8.5 +35 5x120 in the Time Attack Edition

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
So 500-1500 but preferably closer to 500 per wheel. Should be able to find something for you!
Thanks again. FYI, there is no rush on this. The Type R hasn't been assigned a class by the SCCA yet AFAIK - so competitors won't need rims for 'serious' (national) competition until next year. In addition, the class assigned will directly affect how much interest there will be in competing with the Type R in SCCA Solo, and thus, demand for rims.

OTOH, for track use and time trials, people are going to want the smallest diameter (18"?) and widest rim width fitments that require no fender rolling/modification and keep the tires covered by the fenders, as those are the criteria many (all?) time trial organizations use for determining classification.

ETA: wrote the above before I saw:
Did a quick search and nothing, best I found was a Work Gnosis wheel that could be made 19x8.5 +49 5x120... I imagine you would want to stay monoblock right? If so I'll have to contact companies for a special size, the problem is the 5x120 out is for BMW and there is no BMW that would want a 19x8.5 +53 lol, most start at +45 if not +38. I'll reach out to a few companies and see what is required to have something made.
Thanks again muchly for investigating. I was suspecting that the best bet would be an existing 19x8.5 Porsche Boxster/Cayman front rim fitment (ET55 or ET60) on a rim that could be drilled for 5x120 instead of the Porsche 5x130.
Sponsored

Last edited: