OP
OP

jwbrockman

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatch Sport Manual, 2007 Honda S2000 (STR)
Country flag
I took mine to my first event last weekend, pulled the pins and had it aligned the day before (only able to get .6 negative each side but didn't try any tricks beyond pulling the pins). My co-driver and I only got 3 runs each in the dry, but with a stock car aside from alignment and some take-off Rival S 1.5s, the car did great. Barely noticed the open front diff, it was soft and had significant body roll, but was pretty neutral and predictable. My codriver won a decent sized HS class beating out our season champ in a prepped Fiesta ST and another stock but very well driven ST. I coned all my dry runs but would have been right behind in second, with a better PAX finish than I usually manage in my STR S2k. Just one result and very limited sample size but the car was lots of fun and showed some promise in HS. Cant wait to get a bigger rear bar on and see how things improve. This coming weekend I'll be co-driving a friend's new Si so that should be an interesting point of comparison.

exyia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SportTouring Hatch, 2010 EvoX SE
Country flag
Not trying to promote myself (I don't monetize my youtube stuff, I just share for fun and info), but for those who haven't seen my autox with a Civic Hatch.

and the youtube description has write-ups on my experiences. stock camber but zero'd toe on all corners. Continental DW's (closeout deal, looks like they're discontinuing them)

I think the rear sway bar upgrades are the typical "throwing money and parts at it makes it better" approach. I would still think a front sway would do more for such a camber limited car. I don't have any problems with rear rotation with the Civic Hatch - I have problems with rolling front tires.

But of course, many cars design the front geometry that makes front sway bar upgrades hard these days, so...I can still see why some just try a relatively cheap rear bar.

Heatsoak is a big problem for stock class though. I can definitely feel a loss of power by a 3rd or 4th run in Texas heat.

I also did all runs with stability control off (not fully off through that lengthy process, just regular hold of the button). IIRC, turning it fully off also disables brake-based torque vectoring. Doesn't feel like the car needs it though honestly.

OP
OP

jwbrockman

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatch Sport Manual, 2007 Honda S2000 (STR)
Country flag
I'd consider a stiffer front sway bar for it if A) anybody made one and B) I didn't have to drop the subframe on a brand new car to install it. Since the rear bar is a simple, cheap and easily reversible change that's where I'm starting. The car is good out of the box but it's clear it needs a bit more roll stiffness. Given that it has an open front diff I also want to try a rear bar first rather than lose compliance at the drive wheels. Ultimately the right solution for Street may be a front bar but IMO it's a no brainer to test a stiffer rear bar first.

5inn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Type R
Country flag
I took mine to my first event last weekend, pulled the pins and had it aligned the day before (only able to get .6 negative each side but didn't try any tricks beyond pulling the pins). My co-driver and I only got 3 runs each in the dry, but with a stock car aside from alignment and some take-off Rival S 1.5s, the car did great. Barely noticed the open front diff, it was soft and had significant body roll, but was pretty neutral and predictable. My codriver won a decent sized HS class beating out our season champ in a prepped Fiesta ST and another stock but very well driven ST. I coned all my dry runs but would have been right behind in second, with a better PAX finish than I usually manage in my STR S2k. Just one result and very limited sample size but the car was lots of fun and showed some promise in HS. Cant wait to get a bigger rear bar on and see how things improve. This coming weekend I'll be co-driving a friend's new Si so that should be an interesting point of comparison.
:wave::drive:

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
I'd consider a stiffer front sway bar...
What about a softer front sway to help keep the inside front wheel on the ground?

At least, that's one idea I've heard more than once -- softer front sway for better front grip, stiffer rear for a looser rear end.

HustleHatch

@hustle_hatch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatch Sport 6MT
The Maxxis have a stiff sidewall, and I don't get much roll with them even at 35psi. Heat soak IS a problem, as our Florida temps probably rival Texas temps. My first event I had a loss in power from temps during the 4th run. I use my tire sprayer more on the intercooler than the tires :D

I'd love to try a front bar, but haven't found one yet. However, I don't feel it's too lively in the rear and a change of +/- 2psi in the rear tires will correct rotational behavior.

I always run with the stability/trac fully off (pedal dance). With it in the normal "off" postion it's less intrusive than my BRZ was, but I found I was always slower than with it fully off. It's hard for me to predict its intervention, so I get rid of that variable.

I think a softer front sway would detract from performance, especially chassis response/dynamics.

$.02 :headbang:

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
Easiest way to try softening the front is to just disconnect one endlink of the bar. (extreme solution, but it'll definitely be felt!) I'd consider it when I get the chance to auto-x mine.

exyia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Finally took mine out to another event and I'm surprised again at how capable it is. One of the most capable non-miata/FRS/luxury car in stock form that I've driven in a while.

But man I don't know how anyone pushing HS hard can deal with the throttle response. Props to you, because it drives me crazy.

The car definitely feels VERY competitive in HS. Same probably can't be said of Civic Si in GS with the competition it faces there.

full details:
https://www.civicx.com/threads/exyias-sport-touring-hatchback.9284/page-3#post-366997

*not a shill post for my youtube. I don't care about that crap, nor monetize my channel. Just want to share my experiences.

5inn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Type R
Country flag
Has anyone else been autocrossing one of these in HS this year? Have yet to see one in the results for any national event so far.

That'll change this weekend at the NJ Pro :drive:

5inn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Type R
Country flag
Day 1 in the books. We're sitting 1st and 2nd. Going to pray for rain tomorrow!

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Sport Hatch Autox in HS? 5E0199CC-0513-4C5A-9306-F72BFC8417F1

5inn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Type R
Country flag
Was able to hang on to the win over my co-driver this weekend. Maybe now people will autocross these in HS? We also put it on the scales. Weight is in 'race' trim with ~3/4 a tank and 17x8 19ish lb wheels with 245/255 Rival S.

Videos soon.

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Sport Hatch Autox in HS? TlhO-nGS6C5F5hiR1ScBIqDYz0tglUQGy70iby1DJfwg=w2400

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Sport Hatch Autox in HS? xQRnvk54CXcV-8yYzASXpWtDbu8Knrel8GiWbOyD2Fsc=w2400

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Sport Hatch Autox in HS? LSJFSpVicAAgkU1iHKRYL_22jMF44SQ-XbAxNJzdtO3k=w2400

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Sport Hatch Autox in HS? JpSE9Eq1A9SpzQDdYjAk-Wpk87XfTGdFA8vYmEue-KRM=w2400

Attachments

exyia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Video:

bonus gif on cold tires. luckily the car is very easy to catch
https://gfycat.com/ThatWeightyGordonsetter
How prepped is this car? Or rather - what exhaust is this running? Sounds just as quiet as stock...which is still my biggest gripe with this car...lack of powertrain feedback.

BUT great job anyway! almost forgot to say. Really well done!

5inn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Type R
Country flag
How prepped is this car? Or rather - what exhaust is this running? Sounds just as quiet as stock...which is still my biggest gripe with this car...lack of powertrain feedback.

BUT great job anyway! almost forgot to say. Really well done!
Sorry, should have mentioned. Car has CTR rear bar, 17x8 konig wheels and 245f/255r Rivals. Ideally we'd have 255 square but the 245s were in better shape so we put those up front. Stock exhaust with just a drop in AFE filter.
Sponsored