Kevin29

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BRZ Honda CRV
Country flag
The Si's low end tq advantage over the BRS makes it the easier car to drive "off boil". The FWD makes it easier in inclement weather. Its also more accommodating, even as a 2dr, for carrying the occasional 3rd / 4th person /dog. More practical overall. More fun? maybe. Only you can decide what you prefer.
I was thinking about trading in my BRZ for a 2018 Si, i bought the BRZ for autocross and some track racing but due to my work schedule i realize i am not going to be able to race much so now rethinking my decision and going with a better daily driver. The BRZ is a fair daily but the Si would be more practical. The tiny rear seats, small trunk, and rwd in a winter belt isn't exactly the most pracitical thing. Right now i feel i have a race car that i am using as a daily ( especially sitting on alot of negative camber and coilovers sway bars etc.) and i think i really should get a daily that can 2nd as a racecar. I test drove an 18 Si, i liked the torque and power but it seemed to run out of gas fast ( i am used to my old 00 and 08 Si and S2k i had) and it def didn't have the road feel the BRZ does nor the handling although it wasn't bad at all. Loved the shifter though. I added shifter springs and bushings to my BRZ which helped but still can't match a honda shifter. Decisions , Decisions. LOL
Sponsored

OP
OP

Crovax

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Yaris
Country flag
Hey guys, just an update but I did throw an offer out for a FR-S. Around $500 below asking price and I asked to cut the documentation fee almost in half. The guy responded with "we don't take offers on pre-owned vehicles". Have you guys heard of this before?!!

06XTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Sedan
Country flag
Hey guys, just an update but I did throw an offer out for a FR-S. Around $500 below asking price and I asked to cut the documentation fee almost in half. The guy responded with "we don't take offers on pre-owned vehicles". Have you guys heard of this before?!!
TOTAL BS... Go spend your money somewhere else

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No sure about Canada. You can certainly negotiate on pre-owned cars. The key in the US, if you think doc fees are too high, is to counteroffer by subtracting the amount of the doc fees without mentioning you're asking them to lower the doc fees. Just let the dealer work out the lower number on the price of the car itself. Basically, never ask them to remove doc fees, just ask for a lower out-the-door price as a whole; easier for both sides. I just completed a used car deal this way.

Shonuff

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan/2019 CR-V/2012 Civic EX Sedan
Country flag
Where in Canada are you? I work in the pre-owned section at my dealership and we do negotiate I bought the only Si that came in for myself but if you're in ON then hit me up and I'll take a look if the Si is still in the running

OP
OP

Crovax

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Yaris
Country flag
Thank you for your offer. I am in Vancouver. They did bring down the price to what I wanted and removed the documentation fee (we'll see though when I actually get there). It's funny because they lowered the price for everyone though, not just for me. Saving face? Who knows.

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
Over at the ft86 forum, the Civic Si is almost never mentioned as a competitor. Odd that you're cross shopping these cars. @Crovax

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Over at the ft86 forum, the Civic Si is almost never mentioned as a competitor. Odd that you're cross shopping these cars. @Crovax
They are both similarly priced, sporty, compact, affordable, 4-cylinder manual cars with around 200hp. Probably one of the most obvious comparisons. The way I see it, the Si leans more practical while the brz86frs leans more sporty.

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
They are both similarly priced, sporty, compact, affordable, 4-cylinder manual cars with around 200hp. Probably one of the most obvious comparisons. The way I see it, the Si leans more practical while the brz86frs leans more sporty.
If you don't look at specs, these cars are very different, which I think is obvious to just about everybody on ft86 forum.

OP
OP

Crovax

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Yaris
Country flag
For my uses, they can be compared. I'm not going to the track everyday nor an autocross all the time. The FR layout 86 can be daily driven here because it doesn't snow much in Vancouver. I wouldn't use all the cargo space, passenger seating of the civic much but it would be useful in certain situations, etc. I do like certain things of each car which makes it difficult to pick between them... For example, if they made an EK civic with a modern engine/creature comforts, it would be a great comparison.

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
If you don't look at specs, these cars are very different
Yes, I suppose if you close your eyes and plug your ears nothing will appear comparable to your sciubota

Kevin29

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BRZ Honda CRV
Country flag
I am cross shopping it due to the practicality of it. Right now having a BRZ which can be a daily but in a snow belt ( although we haven't got much the last few years) , the trunk size ( i have to haul stuff here and there) and ground clearance ( even only lowered about an inch or so from stock i can't clear even a small dead animal and living out towards the country it can be an issue lol) There is no doubt that the BRZ is better handling and def more sport oriented but less practical while the Civic Si is practical but sporty but they are different animals. The handling and fun factor of the BRZ is causing me to seriously drag my feet and going to an Si, although i have owned an 08 and a 2000 Si and liked them both. I think if i had more time to race i would stick with the BRZ but being i don't probably gonna trade it in for Si.

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes, I suppose if you close your eyes and plug your ears nothing will appear comparable to your sciubota
From drive train layout, to handling dynamics, they're just not all that comparable in my eyes. The spec sheets say they are similar, but achieve things in different ways.

I think if you focused less on HP and more on the cars themselves, you'd see the difference.

For my uses, they can be compared. I'm not going to the track everyday nor an autocross all the time. The FR layout 86 can be daily driven here because it doesn't snow much in Vancouver. I wouldn't use all the cargo space, passenger seating of the civic much but it would be useful in certain situations, etc. I do like certain things of each car which makes it difficult to pick between them... For example, if they made an EK civic with a modern engine/creature comforts, it would be a great comparison.
IMO get the 86. If you don't need all the practicality of the Civic, why get it? You know what I mean?

OP
OP

Crovax

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Yaris
Country flag
repost: I don't care.

Guys, update on on my car buy.
Today I had the Scion FR-S in for a 3rd party inspection finally. The salesman came in 15 minutes late to the appointment. Finally inspection started and then, they found some minor issues:
1. When the original coilovers were put back, apparently one of the springs were not set correctly responding in some "rubbing". (which explains why the car had a $1000 carfaxx report on it for the front bumper, they lowered the vehicle and scraped the front bumper on some speed bump)
2. One of the wheel studs had cross threading and the lug nut wouldn't come off.
3. Rear bumper had no bumper clips and was loose??
4. For a lease car, the leaser put blinking LEDs on the rear lights and never reversed them to stock. (salesman knew this)

I told the salesman "you guys did a 150 point inspection and there are these issues", and then, he proceeded to tell me that he would contact me later and left immediately. He had no idea what to say.

After all that and how adamant they were about their own inspection.. Just no reason to trust any dealership with CPO vehicles. This 55 point inspection revealed more than their own 150 point inspection with "certified" technicians. That's the term they kept telling me again and again when they stalled me for 30 minutes about a 3rd party inspection.

Last edited:

Code Monkey

First Name
Rafal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
If you can swing it, get a 2017 BRZ with a performance pack. Nicer interior, can display oil and coolant temps, less intrusive traction control, 4.3 final drive, Brembos front and rear. Many little things that make +2017's a little bit nicer.
Sponsored