First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Are you saying the sport mode makes the suspension stiffer?
From Honda themselves, in the initial reveal of the 10th gen Si:
From the more comfort-oriented yet well controlled default Normal Mode, the Sport Mode adjusts the suspension damping characteristics plus steering and throttle response for a more taut and direct driving experience.
Sponsored

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Hi,

I purchased my 2018 SI in September. As for Mods not really planning any but I was curious how often people actually engage the sport mode? Daily? only on a nice twisty road?

Thanks
Any time I'm not using cruise control pretty much.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It's always on for me along with traction control always off. You never know when you're gonna randomly appear in Mexico.
Traction control off like using the VSA button?

NoKz

Speed Limit Tester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe (Sold 12/2021)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Traction control off like using the VSA button?
Meaning, pedal dance completed. So VSA all the way off.
  1. Parking Brake Off
  2. Foot On Brake
  3. VSA OFF
  4. VSA ON
  5. Parking Brake On
  6. Foot Off Brake
  7. VSA OFF
  8. VSA ON
  9. Foot On Brake
  10. VSA OFF
  11. VSA ON
Do that and your traction control will be off.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Meaning, pedal dance completed. So VSA all the way off.
  1. Parking Brake Off
  2. Foot On Brake
  3. VSA OFF
  4. VSA ON
  5. Parking Brake On
  6. Foot Off Brake
  7. VSA OFF
  8. VSA ON
  9. Foot On Brake
  10. VSA OFF
  11. VSA ON
Do that and your traction control will be off.
When I first heard of this I thought it was so ridiculous that it had to be a joke. Guess not lol

BobbyA

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe (PRL Stage 1, Hondata FlashPro, PRL Flex Fuel e85, HardRace Rear Mount, Megan Racing Strut Bar) Wish List: PRL Catted Downpipe, Eibach Pro Springs Kit, Seibon Carbon Fiber Hood & Trunk.
Country flag
Hi,

I purchased my 2018 SI in September. As for Mods not really planning any but I was curious how often people actually engage the sport mode? Daily? only on a nice twisty road?

Thanks
I've setup with an e85 Flex Fuel Kit and the Hondata Flashpro with ethanol tune, so the car turns on with Sport mode in default. I pretty much leave it there.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
At max grip, you may feel a slight sensation from the wheel or brakes as the system attempts to regain control of pitch and yaw (aka VSA). Sport Mode raises the AHA's threshold before that stystem takes over.

CN: you can corner more aggressively before the computer takes over.

For most, it's an overkill to disable completely (though I understand the desire to do so).

Last edited:

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
At max grip, you may feel a slight sensation from the wheel or brakes as the system attempts to regain control of pitch and yaw (aka VSA). It takes more effort to activate that system in Sport Mode.
For my own knowledge... the difference VSA on and off via the button alone is just how intrusive it is (it'll let you spin more before it starts the throttle pull back), correct.. though it is still enabled?

I've actually never done a pedal dance though I'll turn VSA off occasionally to prevent the throttle from closing when I loose traction a bit spinning on acceleration if I think ahead. Button to off seems a lot better... though I bet there's still some throttle pull back there as well. Otherwise folks dragging their cars wouldn't be doing it, I suppose. It's a shame that the button doesn't 100% kill it.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
To my knowledge, it only disables TCS which is a component of the VSA.

Edit:

I'll add that I've been in several situations where VSA has activated. It's quite good IMHO, and very difficult to notice unless paying attention.

I think most might recommend keeping that portion of the VSA on, unless during autocross or a track day.

Last edited:

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
To my knowledge, it only disables TCS which is a component of the VSA.

Edit:

I'll add that I've been in several situations where VSA has activated. It's quite good IMHO, and very difficult to notice unless paying attention.

I think most might recommend keeping that portion of the VSA on, unless during autocross or a track day.
I kind of felt the same way. With it on, it's very intrusive and pulls the throttle upon ever bit of wheel spin. With it off, it's pretty decent. I think I had the same button effectively on the 9th gen Si. I don't recall ever hearing about a pedal dance. I'm pretty sure the RSX had nothing. That thing spun and wheel hopped and shook itself to death to get moving if you let it.

NoKz

Speed Limit Tester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe (Sold 12/2021)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
When I first heard of this I thought it was so ridiculous that it had to be a joke. Guess not lol
It's actually very easy to remember lol. I can do it very fast now.

natice04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic type R, 2016 Honda Accord Sport
Country flag
IMO, this button is a gimmick and I really don’t find the need to make the switch to sport mode, so I stay in comfort mode 99% of the time.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
IMO, this button is a gimmick and I really don’t find the need to make the switch to sport mode, so I stay in comfort mode 99% of the time.
Definitely stiffens up the suspension and my intake is much louder when the sport button is pressed.

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
Sport mode? In Toronto? LOL. It’s virtually always off. Our roads are pure shit for performance cars. It may be on for a couple minutes, but then it gets turned off

Davsonamission

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It depends on my speed... I tend to be a fast driver on the hwy and if I am really moving it is much more tame/under control with sport mode engaged. Doing 90 over a bridge tends to have more bounce/movement in it than i like, but with it engaged it really does help keep the car in its place.
Sponsored