Civic Si Sedan Debuting at NY Auto Show

skittles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatchback Sport and 2013 370Z sport
Vehicle Showcase
I love how Honda thinks that the coupe Si is the only one that people want to see. Why couldn't they unveil the sedan and the coupe together?

This is the only post I could find where a sedan Si was even rendered.

Personally I would never buy a coupe, let alone an Si coupe. No offense to the car itself, but if I'm gonna buy a coupe, why not let it be a Corvette, or an F-Type, or something like that. I immediately fell for the Si sedan because it was a pure sports car with 4 doors, that looked like a Civic. Everything I'd ever need.

I guess it's just been a really long wait...
Well because a lot of people buying the Si if they could afford a Corvette or F Type Jag..Then they would..besides also the insurance...Besides, those 2 cars are not even in same category as an Si..Pppfffbbbttt..Lol

BigBang09

nsbryant09
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Former: 2004 Mustang V6, 2008 Civic LX)
I'd prefer something like a 'Vette as well in regards to 2-door cars, but because of RWD and more potential. For things like Skittles mentioned (insurance, general reliability, etc.), it's great that Civic coupes still exist, since they make a good compromise. With the Scion tC gone, I think the only similar car left is the Kia Forte Koup. Other similar cars are all hatches or sedans.

Which brings me back on topic (somewhat); as slick (IMO) as the Civic coupes are this time around, the sedans are pretty sweet-looking too (you know, for a sedan!), and the extra practicality more-door bodystyles offer is what lets cars like this stay alive at all. Smart move on Honda's part when they started offering the Si in sedan bodystyle.

skittles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatchback Sport and 2013 370Z sport
Vehicle Showcase
I'd prefer something like a 'Vette as well in regards to 2-door cars, but because of RWD and more potential. For things like Skittles mentioned (insurance, general reliability, etc.), it's great that Civic coupes still exist, since they make a good compromise. With the Scion tC gone, I think the only similar car left is the Kia Forte Koup. Other similar cars are all hatches or sedans.

Which brings me back on topic (somewhat); as slick (IMO) as the Civic coupes are this time around, the sedans are pretty sweet-looking too (you know, for a sedan!), and the extra practicality more-door bodystyles offer is what lets cars like this stay alive at all. Smart move on Honda's part when they started offering the Si in sedan bodystyle.
off topic a little..If I could afford it, I'd love to snag the new Honda:p NSX..Lol..it sharp:D...

zx2down

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Altima 2.5 S

For the Si's estimated price it's competing with the BRZ/86 and ecoboost Mustang w/ performance Package as well. Grant it they are RWD and bit different market, but people will be cross shopping them if they want "fun i4 coupe". The Si will like my be faster than the 86 but its strength is handling. The Mustang is bigger, but much more power, and with the PP it's no slouch in a corner.

Metfanant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Mustang GT, 2003 Civic LX
Country flag
are people actually in here comparing a Civic Si coupe to a Corvette or F-Type Jag?...i mean these two cars are not even remotely in the same segment of the market, let alone price range...whether the Si is a coupe or not, they don't belong being compared to each other...

The Si is NOT a sports car...

The_Fenix_2.0

Brett Bynes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 honda fit sport
Country flag
are people actually in here comparing a Civic Si coupe to a Corvette or F-Type Jag?...i mean these two cars are not even remotely in the same segment of the market, let alone price range...whether the Si is a coupe or not, they don't belong being compared to each other...

The Si is NOT a sports car...
Umm... Si... (Sport Injection) Idk but I think some form of sportiness may be implied.

Metfanant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Sporti
Umm... Si... (Sport Injection) Idk but I think some form of sportiness may be implied.
the Civic Si has always been about sportiness, but it has never, and will never be a sports car...Not even close...For the record, the Corvette isn't either

The Civic Si would have been a sport compact car, but I don't believe it's small enough to qualify as a compact car anymore...It's just a sporty midsized sedan

Here is a recent article that does a good job of explaining things...

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a28225/sports-car-definition/

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Here is a recent article that does a good job of explaining things...

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a28225/sports-car-definition/
He seems like a good writer, but he's got some weird, old chip embedded into his shoulder that he really needs to let go. :)

According to that article, Porsche 911 is not a "sports car" but Porsche Boxster is? 1953 Corvette was, but 2016 Corvette isn't? I'm sorry but that's some funny stuff. Language evolves, things that language describes evolve, and so some definitions change a bit over time, like that. So what. If someone wants to call their beloved souped-up Mustang a sports car -- why the hell not? :dunno:

(P.S. Sorry to contribute to a derail)

Metfanant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
He seems like a good writer, but he's got some weird, old chip embedded into his shoulder that he really needs to let the hell go. :)

According to that article, Porsche 911 is not a "sports car" but Porsche Boxster is? 1953 Corvette was, but 2016 Corvette isn't? I'm sorry but that's some funny stuff.
It's not really all that funny...It's just reality...

The modern Corvette doesnt fit the traditional definition of a sports car...but Chevy does still market it as one...

If you want to debate whether something like a 911, a Corvette, or a Viper fit a new definition of what a modern sports car is...it's a worthy discussion...The "so what?" Of it is so that cars that have no business being compared with each other are not. I mean in this thread, a comparison was made between the Si coupe and Corvette...the idea that either of those two cars occupy anywhere near the same market segment is ludicrous

Regardless of the Corvette, or 911's place in the market...the Civic Si is 100% positively NOT a sports car in any way, shape, or form

Last edited:

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
I completely agree that comparison between Si and Corvette is invalid, but IMO that shouldn't be based on whether either of them is a "sports car". Besides, Corvette apparently isn't one either, so... :)
These two are simply in different categories of price, power and some other key factors. That should be the necessary and sufficient reason to invalidate that comparison. Who cares if someone wants to call either of them a "sports car"? Dunno about you, but I don't really care about the historical/traditional definition of that term. But YMMV of course; it's all good

Last edited:

BigBang09

nsbryant09
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Former: 2004 Mustang V6, 2008 Civic LX)
I think it's safe to say that cars like the Civic Si (coupe and sedan, but sedan more so) simply let the masses have a shot of sporty feel / fun with their car without (relatively speaking) breaking the bank or sacrificing various levels of practicality.

Banshee

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3, 07 Civic Si, 17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have always referred to both my 99 Si and my 07 SI, as Sport Coupes.

jd2157

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan MSM
Country flag
Who cares about the labels? All that really matters is how well a car fits it's intended use/audience. The Si is about being fun to drive and practical at a reasonable price... and it's likely to do that well... someday...
Sponsored