Civic Si... Rev hang? Is it that big of a deal?

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
The only times I noticed the rev hang were the rare occasions when I had gotten it closer to 5K RPM before shifting. Then yeah you need to wait a second or two (although you don't even have to wait, if shifting immediately is somehow an emergency).
But 99% of the time I shift waaaay before the rev hang is induced. See no reason to rev it up that high, unless you're racing; this car is so much fun as it is, and if 0-60 times are a real priority then maybe one should get a Mustang or something instead of the Si.
FWIW
Sponsored

TheKevinlyFather

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe (Sold), 2020 Acura RDX A-Spec (SH-AWD)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm not sure why this thread is three pages, and even more not sure as to why I'm contributing lol. Rev hang is there in every gear/RPM range. To minimize it's impact on your driving without KTuner, you just have to shift earlier in the rev range or shift slower than you might want. In the event you want to wail on it to redline and slam it into the next gear immediately, there is no issue in doing so other than it's not going to be as smooth.

It's not a big deal for 99% of the population and is certainly nothing I would base a purchase on. I wish it wasn't there, personally. But, in no way is it something that bothers me as I'm driving.

JNRS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Nobody likes to rev engines out anymore?

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Nobody likes to rev engines out anymore?
Sure, but in a car w/ a small turbo, it's not really beneficial.

Spike Spiegel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic Si coupe
Country flag
I have only put 300 miles so far on my Si since I picked it up 2 weeks ago, but I have not really noticed the rev hang really. This is my first manual car (had a motorcycle before that I learned on). If anything the problem I have so far is with the notchy and plastic-feeling shifter. I have the Type-R shifter assembly, Acuity base bushings, centering spring, rocker arm, cable bushings and Shift Solutions Co Hybrid Weighted BK-H knob on the way to solve all of that.
Let us know how this comes out.

OP
OP

CTRx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic
Country flag
Thank you everyone for your responses. I have been busy this week so could not keep up.

My biggest fear is learning to drive manual, I have nobody to teach me and I live in an apartment with an underground garage so from day 1, I will not be able to avoid 'hills'. Not having any fundamentals I am worried I will damage the car so that is my biggest fear with making the jump to the Si right now! That and I wonder how much different the HB Sport Touring drives...

Such a tough decision!

pidigi

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X SI
Country flag
Thank you everyone for your responses. I have been busy this week so could not keep up.

My biggest fear is learning to drive manual, I have nobody to teach me and I live in an apartment with an underground garage so from day 1, I will not be able to avoid 'hills'. Not having any fundamentals I am worried I will damage the car so that is my biggest fear with making the jump to the Si right now! That and I wonder how much different the HB Sport Touring drives...

Such a tough decision!
I hear you but just go for it. There is a reward about MT that you cannot get otherwise. Watch a few videos on Youtube and then go for it. Despite what every one is saying on this forum, the clutch IS a wearable item. So go ahead and use it. Forgetting gear ratios and all that good stuff, your engine is rotating at say 3000 rotation per minute. Your wheels are at a stand still, 0 rpm. When you release the clutch, you put your engine in connection with your wheels. To avoid a sudden shock to the engine and transmission, the clutch allows you to ease the process and modulate this connection. At 90% the wheels begin to roll, you can then release the clutch a bit more, and so on so forth. Maintain your engine at 3500 rpm. And release the clutch slowly, take one whole second the first time you do it. And you will gracefully make the connection to 100%. Repeat from 1 to 2. etc. When you have to slow down, disconnect the engine from the wheels, ie push the clutch, and use the brakes. If you have to pick up, -- the car is still rolling -- put your engine at 3500RPM, put the gear lever at where you think it should be, and release the clutch slowly.

I say 3500 RPM above, you can pick any value you want, I would stay above 2800rpm though. Same for the second, it's not like you go from 0% to 100% engagement linearly in one second. Release slowly, when the engine slows down, don't move the clutch, press the gas a little. and so on.

Don't worry about wearing the clutch. Within a week you will be tired of taking a whole second to shift and the motion will naturally come to you faster and faster. In the process, you will learn to be gentle with the car, and that will pay off. Don't worry about people laughing, they either don't drive MT, or forgot that they were newbies too.

In many months from now, you can give a try at downshifting. But this is not a required skill.

Good luck.

JNRS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I'm not going to lie, this is a pretty big decision. You have to be 100% committed to learning how to drive manual, if you are going to purchase one. I was in your situation a few years ago and I decided to purchase a manual without knowing how to drive it. I must admit, it was pretty bumpy and frustrating for the first few days, but it got better overtime. You will be frustrated and nervous at first when starting from a stop in traffic and when on a hill. Luckily, the Si is a good vehicle to learn how to operate a manual in because the clutch feel is linear. What I mean by this is that in some vehicles, the clutch will kind of kick back at you while you are releasing it, causing you to release the clutch too quickly, without applying enough throttle to prevent the engine from stalling. See if you can find a dealership where the salesperson can show you the basics, so you will at least know what your dealing with.

jason510

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I learned how to drive a MT early on. I had a 02 Civic LX MT and later sold it to a friend who's a mechanic and still has it. That car now has a little 250,000 miles on it and he's had both his son and his daughter learn MT on that same car. To this day he hasn't replaced the clutch.

I'm not sure if you've mentioned the environment you live in. I live in SoCal so driving in traffic is inevitable. People think I'm crazy driving a MT in this environment and sometimes I do wish I was in my company car which is an AT. Having said that, I love my Si and it's fun AF to drive. Consider your environment because a MT in constant traffic can be gruesome to some.

OP
OP

CTRx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic
Country flag
Being in Toronto, there is definitely a fair amount of traffic and I am not quite sure what my driving habits would have been over the course of the next few years.

PdxJose

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I just picked up a 2020 Coup Civic Si two day’s ago and I’m telling you right now, you will not regret your decision. My first I’ve only owned two manual transmission cars (this is my 2nd) and man did I miss it. I started off with an automatic transmission but then bought a 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer from a small dealer around my house and I had no idea how to drive it. A friend of mine did have to drive it home for me that day. I didn’t have to go back to work until two days. I spent that afternoon and the whole next day practicing and to be 100% honest, it wasn’t hard at all. I’m not sure if the car I had helped but it didn’t take me long. I drove it to work the next day and only stalled once. After that, I kept the car for a couple of years and then was handed down a new car from my mom - 2007 Toyota Corolla Sport. I said hell yeah because it was newer and had a lot fewer miles on it. It was also more reliable of course. Although it was an automatic transmission. I kept that car and drove it around for 4 years. Now, two days ago, bought the 2020 Coup Civic Si and I had no problem driving it. Even at the dealership I was able to test drive it fine. Of course it was a little jerky because I hadn’t driven one in a few years but now I’m learning that the “rev hang” did have a little bit to do with the jerking. I didn’t grind any gears and still remember how to downshift and go uphills without stalling or rolling back too much. Which btw, if thats something you’re worrying about, don’t because this car comes with Hold Break. It’s a feature in the car that you can turn on and it will keep your car in place without rolling back and you can just engage into 1st gear no problem without any worries. This car definitely spoils you. Don’t get me wrong, I still think you should practice hills without this feature because not all cars have it. I was really surprised to learn about it when I bought the car. I was mind blown haha. Anyways that’s just my two cents. I know it’s kind of an old post but I thought I’d share :).

good luck!

Tags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Audi A3 Quattro, 2020 Volkswagen Tiguan
Country flag
Why don't you pose a less controversial question? Like, "Dogs or cats?" or "Which religion is best?"

Bigearmorfin

First Name
Oli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si, 1995 Honda Del Sol Si
Country flag
Since the 8th gen Civic Si’s, people have always complained about rev hang and its not that big deal. is it nicer to drive the car without rev hang, it is. For a novice manual transmission driver this might be helpful in learning how to drive since you wont have to focus much on rev matching your upshifts. But if it does get annoying, you can always get hondata or ktuner to correct the rev hang AND get some extra power from your car.

Friction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I never noticed it. Princess and the pea kids these days... :catfight:

:lol:

TigerSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan White
Country flag
I just got a 2018 Si. I just keep learning more from this forum and glad to find this thread. I felt something was not quite right about shifts. I have not had a manual car before that had a Rev Hang feature. For my tastes I will get this tuned and turn off Rev Hang once I get these wheel bearings and couple of suspension items like a I want. Rev Hang is not terrible but it is not quite right either. Just my 2 cents.
Sponsored