Civic Si press reviews (dates and links) compilation

ne0guri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Orchid Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I just want to take a minute and say that the hardest thing to do with an aftermarket exhaust is to make the car sound quieter and smoother without losing power.

I mean, come on... I look at the Abarth-tuned Fiat 500 and think, "Wow, that little car sounds tasty," before reconsidering whether I'd want to drive with that throaty exhaust EVERY SINGLE TIME I DRIVE THE CAR.

I put an aftermarket exhaust on my EP3. Fujitsubo RM-01A, spec'd for the Type-R, bolted up easy with RSX-S parts. I thought it sounded pretty sweet. That evening, I took it to the guy I bought it from, had him drive it around the industrial park, and I thought of those scenes in Initial D where the racing sounds echoed off the mountainside. From outside the car, it sounded great.

Then I drove six hours into Pennsylvania. I almost wanted to take the exhaust right back off. The drone at 70mph was not what I was accustomed to. It wasn't as bad as when the mid pipe on my '86 Civic rusted apart, but it sure wasn't civilized anymore.

This whining from journalists and bloggers about the Si's (and Type-R's) exhaust sounding "boring" is getting on my nerves. It's just not complicated, or even expensive, to make an exhaust noisier. But unless you've got an expert magician at your exhaust shop, you're not going to conjure up a muffler that's smoother (and, IMO, easier to live with) than stock.
I think I'm getting too old to enjoy having a loud exhaust sound. I'd rather have better sound coming from the engine while I am accelerating. Can't wait for my PRL intake, gonna sound so nice
Sponsored

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Especially I value the Civic Si's limited slip that enables exceptional wet weather driving. The suspension is superior.
The LSD really is one of the best features of the Si that sets it apart from the regular Civic. Of all the vehicles I've owned, the Si is my first with an LSD. Having never had one before, I was surprised how much difference it make in daily driving. For me, there's no more embarrassing "one wheel peel" when accelerating through a tight curve.

On slick roads in the rain, the Si easily spins both wheels if I'm not very careful with the accelerator thanks in part due to the low-RPM torque generated by the turbocharged engine. The only disadvantage I've seen is that with both front wheels spinning, the front end slides off to the side easier on slick surfaces compared to the open differential in the regular Civic which generally allows only one wheel at a time to spin while the other wheel maintains traction so there's still some steering control.

An experienced driver can be proactive or at least quickly reactive in these situations. For others, there's traction control and stability control. :)

Last edited:

serif

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
9G Accord V6 Slushbox Sedan
Good short comparo from Road & Track that I took from TOV. In short, they liked just about everything except a few exterior bits and the exhaust/induction note.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...7-honda-civic-si-vs-2017-volkswagen-golf-gti/
Trying to summarize their points, it seems like they're saying the Si is overwrought in design with great inputs and chassis, but an engine that lacks character; and the GTI is subdued and refined with a great engine, but feels numb in comparison. I can get behind that.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
I think I'm getting too old to enjoy having a loud exhaust sound. I'd rather have better sound coming from the engine while I am accelerating. Can't wait for my PRL intake, gonna sound so nice
When I had an SRI in my EP, I drove with light throttle more often because I didn't want the wrong attention by going wide-open. :D

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
The LSD really is one of the best features of the Si that sets it apart from the regular Civic. Of all the vehicles I've owned, the Si is my first with an LSD. Having never had one before, I was surprised how much difference it make in daily driving. For me, there's no more embarrassing "one wheel peel" when accelerating through a tight curve.

On slick roads in the rain, the Si easily spins both wheels if I'm not very careful with the accelerator thanks in part due to the low-RPM torque generated by the turbocharged engine. The only disadvantage I've seen is that with both front wheels spinning, the front end slides off to the side easier on slick surfaces compared to the open differential in the regular Civic which generally allows only one wheel at a time to spin while the other wheel maintains traction so there's still some steering control.

An experienced driver can be proactive or at least quickly reactive in these situations. For others, there's traction control and stability control. :)
I hope that the Si will handle well in the snow. Probably there is no data of snow drivability because it was released only a few months ago.

BTW. I plan to downgrade to 17-inch for the winter.
Sponsored