Civic Si press reviews (dates and links) compilation

serif

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
9G Accord V6 Slushbox Sedan
Matt Maran Motoring, nee subaruwrxfan, just posted his review. Overall seems pretty spot-on. He tends to be a little effusive in his reviews, so take that with a grain of salt.

sonicBOOMgray

Banned
Civic was washed away in Houston Harvey maelstrom
Banned
First Name
UNK (uncle)
Threads
Reaction score
my LX was scathed in Harvey...Houston 42 feet unda
Website
a.msn.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Hatch PMM LX HS 0w-20 FF 5650 miles, 06 Accord V6 MC 5w-20, 95 SC300 V6 QS 10w-30
Matt Maran Motoring, nee subaruwrxfan, just posted his review. Overall seems pretty spot-on. He tends to be a little effusive in his reviews, so take that with a grain of salt.
Did YOU hear how in this vlog SubaruWrxFan said, this Civic X is *MORE*, yes you read that right, MORE comfortable than luxury cars, e.g. a LEXUS. That sealed the DEAL folklore...sealed the deal FOLKLORE!! Also noteworthy is that it feels as fast as a Subaru Wrx and get this, only about 50 less horses than a Civic Type R kinfolk but more importantly, doesn't feel slower than a FREAKING TYPE R!! (I realize it is about how it puts the power down but who the fuck cares, mayne).. smaller nuggets were the 2900 pound weight which is 150 more than <I can't remember the example, fill me in folklore..help me out kinfolk...>

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
He dresses like a GTI owner:p

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
smaller nuggets were the 2900 pound weight which is 150 more than <I can't remember the example, fill me in folklore..help me out kinfolk...>
...than a 2002 EP3 hatchback. (my old car) :(

Last edited:

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What happened to his voice at the 9:00 mark? :D

sonicBOOMgray

Banned
Civic was washed away in Houston Harvey maelstrom
Banned
First Name
UNK (uncle)
Threads
Reaction score
my LX was scathed in Harvey...Houston 42 feet unda
Website
a.msn.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Hatch PMM LX HS 0w-20 FF 5650 miles, 06 Accord V6 MC 5w-20, 95 SC300 V6 QS 10w-30
...than a 2002 EP3 hatchback. (my old car) :(
Isn't it pure, unadulturated brilliance that a Civic X, almost as big as an Accord is only 150 more pounds than the EP3? I'm not even engineer level so can't comprehend but I know there is some special sauce added here and we ain't talk'n McD. I mean, this is stupid smart. Someone a lot smarter than me will chime in here. Not much smaller than 07 Camry.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Isn't it pure, unadulturated brilliance that a Civic X, almost as big as an Accord is only 150 more pounds than the EP3? I'm not even engineer level so can't comprehend but I know there is some special sauce added here and we ain't talk'n McD. I mean, this is stupid smart. Someone a lot smarter than me will chime in here. Not much smaller than 07 Camry.
Yeah, it blows my mind. My EP3 came with 195-width tires carrying around 2800 lbs, and my Sport Touring FK7 only weighs about one adult more despite having two more doors, proper rear seats, and a turbo. It's lighter than my wife's old 2005 Camry, too, and is a hair bigger.

The high-strength steel they use now helps trim weight (you can use less steel for the same, or even more, strength), and I think some of the body panels are thinner, too.

It'd be cool to see a piece-by-piece comparison of the materials and techniques they used.

sfedai0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 civic
Country flag
I remember paying 16.7K for my 00 Si brand new. The fact that we can get a brand new Si Sedan 17 years later for only $5-6K more is mind-blowing.

It would only be a pretty good deal if you ended up paying 5-6k more from '00. But when you factor in inflation, 16.7k is almost the MSRP that Honda is charging right now. Now it really is a amazing deal.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Good short comparo from Road & Track that I took from TOV. In short, they liked just about everything except a few exterior bits and the exhaust/induction note.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...7-honda-civic-si-vs-2017-volkswagen-golf-gti/
I just want to take a minute and say that the hardest thing to do with an aftermarket exhaust is to make the car sound quieter and smoother without losing power.

I mean, come on... I look at the Abarth-tuned Fiat 500 and think, "Wow, that little car sounds tasty," before reconsidering whether I'd want to drive with that throaty exhaust EVERY SINGLE TIME I DRIVE THE CAR.

I put an aftermarket exhaust on my EP3. Fujitsubo RM-01A, spec'd for the Type-R, bolted up easy with RSX-S parts. I thought it sounded pretty sweet. That evening, I took it to the guy I bought it from, had him drive it around the industrial park, and I thought of those scenes in Initial D where the racing sounds echoed off the mountainside. From outside the car, it sounded great.

Then I drove six hours into Pennsylvania. I almost wanted to take the exhaust right back off. The drone at 70mph was not what I was accustomed to. It wasn't as bad as when the mid pipe on my '86 Civic rusted apart, but it sure wasn't civilized anymore.

This whining from journalists and bloggers about the Si's (and Type-R's) exhaust sounding "boring" is getting on my nerves. It's just not complicated, or even expensive, to make an exhaust noisier. But unless you've got an expert magician at your exhaust shop, you're not going to conjure up a muffler that's smoother (and, IMO, easier to live with) than stock.
Sponsored