Civic Si press reviews (dates and links) compilation

Metfanant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Mustang GT, 2003 Civic LX
Country flag
Don't mean to (continue to) derail this, but are you guys talking about trying to make some 0-60 record, or normal daily driving? 'Cause I've been shifting somewhere between 2500 and 3500 most of the time and it seems to have been working out just fine. Now when I'm in a hurry -- that's a different story.
Oh! I'm talking about pedal to the floor, squeezing the most out of this thing...

If you're just putting around town, you're fine where you are!
Sponsored

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Ok...so here goes...

- the car makes its PEAK horsepower number (205) at 5700rpm
- the car makes PEAK torque (192) from 2100rpm all the way through to 5000
- IIRC, redline is 6000rpm?

You don't want to wind it out much beyond 5700 because you're actually making LESS power beyond 5700rpm...and you've been shedding torque since 5000rpm...so then you shift, and the rpm fall back down, you should be smack dab in the center of that fat torque curve, and climbing back towards peak horsepower at 5700 again...

As for shifting at 3500rpm...you're making peak torque there, but not peak horsepower...AND, if you shift at 3500, when you she'd revs from the upshift, you're gonna bog the engine down because you're not making enough power down there...
That's about right. But redline is around 6.5K, IIRC. You want to maximize average horsepower throughout the powerband. Power may dip slightly in the higher RPMs but not to the point that you need to shift to a higher gear. Based on the Civic Hatch readout, you won't want to shift too far beyond 6K. We'll know for sure once the Si dynos start trickling in.

From Hondata:

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Si press reviews (dates and links) compilation civic-17-mt-stock-

zx2down

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Altima 2.5 S
That's about right. But redline is around 6.5K, IIRC. You want to maximize average horsepower throughout the powerband. Power may dip slightly in the higher RPMs but not to the point that you need to shift to a higher gear. Based on the Civic Hatch readout, you won't want to shift too far beyond 6K. We'll know for sure once the Si dynos start trickling in.

From Hondata:

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Si press reviews (dates and links) compilation civic-17-mt-stock-
This makes me think, I'd like to see back to back dynos of a Si and a Sport with +2psi.

johnc_22

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sedan - Touring - Cosmic Blue
Country flag
I don't know if this review from Savage Geese (the best reviews, IMO) has been posted. The review is just a few days old.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
I don't know if this review from Savage Geese (the best reviews, IMO) has been posted. The review is just a few days old.

I had to stop watching when he complained about how to engage the electronic parking brake. It's pretty simple: You pull UP on a LEVER to engage a mechanical parking brake the same way you pull UP on a SWITCH to engage an electronic parking brake. It really is that simple. :)

On a more serious note, I thought the review was pretty honest.

LoveToDrive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LX MT, 2015 Si (RIP)
I had to stop watching when he complained about how to engage the electronic parking brake. It's pretty simple: You pull UP on a LEVER to engage a mechanical parking brake the same way you pull UP on a SWITCH to engage an electronic parking brake. It really is that simple. :)

On a more serious note, I thought the review was pretty honest.
I think that e-brake comment was meant to be a joke in a way. He's making fun of "changing things that worked just for the sake of it," thing. On the Impala I rented a while ago, the switch was sideways with no labels. THAT was annoying because I never knew if it was on or not, and the light didn't come on until the motor stopped.

polished1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nothing
Country flag
I love Savage Geese's reviews, his production quality is the best. Really cool to hear he thinks it's the best car in it's tier, along with all the likes and dislikes which I agree and disagree with.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag

I saw this in another thread and love his deadpan humor. And I agree with him on nearly every point EXCEPT... the Si being a better all-rounder over GTI. Sorry to say, I do think the GTI does it as good or better on every front except price and long term reliability.

Overall a great vid. And a perfect way to summarize what the Si represents.

rezlab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Civic Si
Country flag
I saw this in another thread and love his deadpan humor. And I agree with him on nearly every point EXCEPT... the Si being a better all-rounder over GTI. Sorry to say, I do think the GTI does it as good or better on every front except price and long term reliability.

Overall a great vid. And a perfect way to summarize what the Si represents.
Pretty well sums up my experiences as well. Except I really like how the car looks - sometimes I just walk to the front of our house to look out the window and appreciate it. And I have no problem with the electric emergency brake or radio knobs.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Pretty fair and balanced IMHO. I echo C&D's assessment:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2017-honda-civic-si-in-depth-model-review

By taking the body and soul (a.k.a. the engine) of a normal, turbocharged Civic and adding adaptive dampers, a stiffer suspension, and 31 extra horsepower, Honda has created something new and almost entirely excellent. Sure, we have a few issues here and there, but we’re thrilled that the Si is back—and once again a great driver’s car.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag