First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW GTI, 2018 ABM CTR R-17001
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In cars most of the data are shared over CAN. If something doesn't need its own set of sensors they don't usually have that. To do gross motion body control without rideheight sensors for shocks they need all the same input a VSA would need, its just the "output" would be different(cars are also moving to one box to do everything now, though thats definitely not there yet). In this case the output from those signals for VSA would be to grab brakes or cut power or both. For shocks it means to control damping for each corner and monitor the change in behavior from those same sensors. When you turn VSA off it just won't do the VSA side of intervention but it would still try to do the body control. They won't just turn the shocks off or do passive damping.
Sponsored

SlowAP2

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI, 04 S2K,
Country flag
What's everyone do to "lock" yourself in the seat. I tried the pulling the seat belt to the end and retracting but it didn't lock up. Didn't feel terrible in the seat but would be happy to move less.

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
Somebody needs to create or find a viable seatbelt lock solution to cinch us into the seat. I used a seat belt lock for normal buckle belts with partial success but it was hodgepodge and couldnt be left on.

caspar21

2018 Civic Si
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
having problems keeping up with the other SI's in GS. they are 4-5 seconds faster than me.
I could use some tips.
i am using PS4's. had to bring the pressure up to 38psi all around to save the sidewalls on the front. stock bars.
the cars are not tech'ed at all, am i slow or are they cheating big time?
i realized afterwards that i was using ktuner with adv VSA for this and that should have bumped me up a class but i was still way behind the other 10th gen SI's.

Forcino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
having problems keeping up with the other SI's in GS. they are 4-5 seconds faster than me.
I could use some tips.
i am using PS4's. had to bring the pressure up to 38psi all around to save the sidewalls on the front. stock bars.
i realized afterwards that i was using ktuner with adv VSA for this and that should have bumped me up a class but i was still way behind the other 10th gen SI's.
PS4 are great street tires, but not great autoX tires. You need RE71r or Rivals. That will be your biggest bump.
Also, when I've had tuned cars in the past, I was actually worse because I was trying to use the power to make up for not taking a good line or taking off too much speed. You may just be better when you take the tune off and blow down a bit

burglar

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
If someone is faster at AX it's almost never from cheating. It's a driver's game. It's not an easy game, either, takes lots of time and practice to get good. You don't pick up a guitar for the first time and start shredding solos.

For the video, the camera angle isn't so great, can't see your hands, how close you are to the cones, etc. Looks like you enter some corners too hot, and the front end slides until enough speed is scrubbed off and the car starts turning again. Fast in/slow out is backwards. Another side effect of this is that you are getting to the throttle real late, and then that is compounded by the fact that the front tires blow off when the boost comes up.

Ride along with someone faster than you. Learn what it feels like, the techniques, and try to mimic them. Have fast people ride with you. Best way to learn, IMO.

Stickier tires of course will affect your time, but stickier tires do not affect the quality of your driving. If you overdrive the PS4, you'll overdrive a RE71 / Rival too. Goal should be to improve the driving, the time on the clock will follow.

Apex Carver

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ITR 01-1294, 07 Elise, 15 Fiesta ST, Formerly CTR
Country flag
If you are too slow just buy a faster car/tire until that is fixed, thats how I always do things....

wait thats probably not right
There’s no car/tire in this world that could fix my problem ...

bcskelly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What's everyone do to "lock" yourself in the seat. I tried the pulling the seat belt to the end and retracting but it didn't lock up. Didn't feel terrible in the seat but would be happy to move less.
I just slide my seat all the way back, pull my seat belt half way out then tug real quick so it locks, then clip the belt in and slide my seat forward while still holding the belt out so the lock isn't released. Kind of hard to describe in words and sometimes takes me a few tries, but it works for me.

caspar21

2018 Civic Si
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
If someone is faster at AX it's almost never from cheating. It's a driver's game. It's not an easy game, either, takes lots of time and practice to get good. You don't pick up a guitar for the first time and start shredding solos.

thank you! i appreciate the feedback. i will see what i can do to slow my entrance a bit. i don't think i am braking as hard as the car is able. turning i can balance front rear and hold a limit on sweepers but my braking definitely needs work.
thats what i will work on.

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW GTI, 2018 ABM CTR R-17001
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Joking aside, riding with someone fast is really eye opening as a beginner. It helps show where someone is putting emphasis on driving a course.

Forcino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Or let someone faster than you co-drive with you (as I did last week). Getting beaten in your own car may be embarrassing, but being in the car while Cam (co-driver) took his runs really helped me see what the car can do

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Si in GS Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 5.43.05 PM

SlowAP2

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI, 04 S2K,
Country flag
I just slide my seat all the way back, pull my seat belt half way out then tug real quick so it locks, then clip the belt in and slide my seat forward while still holding the belt out so the lock isn't released. Kind of hard to describe in words and sometimes takes me a few tries, but it works for me.
I tried that with the back rest but just couldn't get it tight. I'll give it a shot with the seat slider.

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
I could use some tips.
Don't mod the car.. Improve the drover ;)

Seat time is key.. How many events have you done? How many have your competitors done?
Seat time is key.. Ask to ride along with other "fast" drivers.. Watch what they do - their inputs.. braking, steering, sliding, where they look ahead etc.
Seat time is key.. How many times do you walk the course pre run? Do you do it with others (and get distracted?) or solo or both? Do you have/rely on course maps or can you replay what you've walked/driven in your head?
Seat time is key.. I considered myself a competent AX'er.. I usually only did 4-5 events/year plus some DE events. One year I did 13 AX events alone and it made a difference. I really learned the car better and had more experience to draw on.

All that said, there can certainly be times of leveling off.. No longer are your runs 3-4 seconds quicker between first and last run.. maybe only 1.5 seconds.. or 1 second.. But still you trail the class leaders by a bit of time... Go look at their cars.. ask them what they may have done.. ask to ride along..
Sponsored