Z3papa

First Name
Clark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2011 BMW M3
Country flag
lol, I mean you had smaller BMW though.....
My "smaller BMW" Z3 prepped in STR had Recaro race shells which were very low, and as far back as you could imagine. So much so, you would have needed a booster seat to see over the steering wheel. Junior Johnson asked me how I fit until he got in the driver's seat during an EVO school. His reaction to that car was pretty crazy.

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Do you guys ever get frustrated with the limitations of Street? I would like to run a tune outside of autocross and just switch to a stock map when autocrossing, but the stock clutch won't take it for long. And with it being a Street car, you can't touch the clutch. Something like the TSP Stage 1 tune and an aftermarket clutch and slightly lightened flywheel for the daily drive would be awesome. Though I guess it could be a good thing because it would force me to not spend so much on the car and just save the money for tires and tour events lol. For those that daily their GS cars, what do you guys think about all of this? #offseasontalk

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
Do you guys ever get frustrated with the limitations of Street?
Have you maxed out your tires? Brake pads & fluid? Can you change the shocks? Alignment? Tire pressures? Do you lock your seat belt's shoulder belt? How many school sessions have you attended? Are you still getting beat by "worse" cars?

burglar

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
This is totally IMO, but I'm typically in favor of letting most minor things slide at local events. An aftermarket clutch, assuming one that's similar to stock weight / construction, is not going to result to a measurable change on the time clock on a Civic Si. Although a clutch change is supposed to boot you right to SP, I'd let it go.

National events are a whole different ballgame and I expect 100% legal cars if you compete at that level.

I remember buying a cone air filter for my 200sx SE-R a lifetime ago, and swapping to the stocker in paddock so I could run ES (which is now DS.) I was so happy when STS came about so that I could run that air filter and street tires. Then I bought coilovers, and a header, and an exhaust, and swaybars...

Eventually you have to make the choice, do you want to build the car you want, or do you want to compete? This is where more than one car comes in handy. Or you can buy a 'murican car and run CAM, all those guys just use the buckshot approach to mods and go slow as hell.

5inn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Type R
Country flag
Have you maxed out your tires? Brake pads & fluid? Can you change the shocks? Alignment? Tire pressures? Do you lock your seat belt's shoulder belt? How many school sessions have you attended? Are you still getting beat by "worse" cars?
Did you read past his first sentence?

I plan to do a little less autocrossing next year so I picked up a KTuner and TSP tune. Stock clutch is holding fine so far, but I rarely go to the sport mode in map 3 (which is something like 25psi).

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
Did you read past his first sentence?

I plan to do a little less autocrossing next year so I picked up a KTuner and TSP tune. Stock clutch is holding fine so far, but I rarely go to the sport mode in map 3 (which is something like 25psi).
Yes, I read past his first sentence. Then I wondered what else he's done (or hasn't done) besides just messing with the ECU.

But, eh... it was late at night.

Z3papa

First Name
Clark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2011 BMW M3
Country flag
This is totally IMO, but I'm typically in favor of letting most minor things slide at local events. An aftermarket clutch, assuming one that's similar to stock weight / construction, is not going to result to a measurable change on the time clock on a Civic Si. Although a clutch change is supposed to boot you right to SP, I'd let it go.

National events are a whole different ballgame and I expect 100% legal cars if you compete at that level.

I remember buying a cone air filter for my 200sx SE-R a lifetime ago, and swapping to the stocker in paddock so I could run ES (which is now DS.) I was so happy when STS came about so that I could run that air filter and street tires. Then I bought coilovers, and a header, and an exhaust, and swaybars...

Eventually you have to make the choice, do you want to build the car you want, or do you want to compete? This is where more than one car comes in handy. Or you can buy a 'murican car and run CAM, all those guys just use the buckshot approach to mods and go slow as hell.
I used to think exactly this way but came to the conclusion that by "letting them slide" it is just causing them to form terrible habits. As one of the guys asked to tech, I've been stunned at what people refer to as "basically stock". Completely wrong cars in wrong class, seats removed from the rear, coilovers, much wider wheels, race shells, lightweight batteries, etc. When it comes down to it, yes they may be classed unfavorably or get their ass handed to them but they should understand that autocross is about accurate self classing your car. Even when its pointed out they are in completely the wrong class, they still run how they are registered "just cause".

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW GTI, 2018 ABM CTR R-17001
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think if its someone you see like a few times a year at a local I probably won't care. But if someone ran every event even if just locally in a incorrectly prepped car for a class I think I'd probably tell them to to do it correctly or run a different class. SCCA is annoying because you have to read the rules, but you have to do it like everyone else....

MarkR171

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si, '17 MX5, '01 Miata
Country flag
"Letting something slide" because it's a local is fine, but it goes the other way too. Why not run a class up where the car is legal, it's a local.

I think it depends more on the region and class. If you're in a competitive region in a competitive class, its tougher to let things slide. If you're in a class of maybe 2 or 3 people that aren't very serious, letting things slide is easier.

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I wasn't really trying to start a discussion on letting out-of-class mods slide or how you guys view them, but that's still a good topic of discussion.

What I was really trying to get at is to see how satisfied you guys are with your 10G Sis as daily drivers within the limitations of GS. Some of the biggest complaints I hear about these cars are rev hang, boost lag, and how the stock tune kinda holds the car back in general. If I were to sell my 8G Si to get a 10G Si, I would want to keep it GS-legal, but it's kinda discouraging when you see people raving about how much their KTuner tunes have woken up the car and how much better their aftermarket clutches and flywheels feel over stock.

I'm glad @5sinn shared that his TSP Stage 1 tune was working well with his stock clutch because it got me thinking that I could just get a KTuner and run a very mild tune for daily driving, and flash it back to stock on the way to an autocross event, then flash the tune back on after. This was I get to enjoy most of the benefits of tuning, while also making sure that I am class-legal and not throwing more at the stock clutch than it can handle.

Vrruumm

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
I wasn't really trying to start a discussion on letting out-of-class mods slide or how you guys view them, but that's still a good topic of discussion.

What I was really trying to get at is to see how satisfied you guys are with your 10G Sis as daily drivers within the limitations of GS. Some of the biggest complaints I hear about these cars are rev hang, boost lag, and how the stock tune kinda holds the car back in general. If I were to sell my 8G Si to get a 10G Si, I would want to keep it GS-legal, but it's kinda discouraging when you see people raving about how much their KTuner tunes have woken up the car and how much better their aftermarket clutches and flywheels feel over stock.

I'm glad @5sinn shared that his TSP Stage 1 tune was working well with his stock clutch because it got me thinking that I could just get a KTuner and run a very mild tune for daily driving, and flash it back to stock on the way to an autocross event, then flash the tune back on after. This was I get to enjoy most of the benefits of tuning, while also making sure that I am class-legal and not throwing more at the stock clutch than it can handle.
I am happy with my car in GS. I am not spending a ton of money on my car to make it competitive in SP or ST. It would just be a waste of money for me. While rev hang and lack of camber is an issue with the stock car, it is still highly competitive. Honestly rev hang is annoying, but I haven't really found it to hurt the handling of the car. It just is annoying when shifting and braking. Boost lag is minimal compared to other boosted GS cars like the GTI, FoST, and SRT4. If the car becomes much less competitive in GS, then ST is probably where I would go, or just sell the SI for another competitive car for Street. The only thing I wish Honda would do is allow sport to disable rev hang. It is a quite annoying.

inertiadrifto86

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan(traded), 2011 Acura MDX Adv, 2019 Acura TLX A-Spec(traded), 2018 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So I'm not sure if this has been answered. I have the HFP suspension installed on my Si, which includes stiffer springs and Dampers. The initial impression I had would be this would disqualify my car from competing in the GS class.

However I've since learned that the HFP package is available straight from the mfr in Canada. Somehow the states got screwed out of the HFP trim and the parts are considered dealer I installed accessories in the US.

So will HFP springs and Dampers disqualify the Si for GS?

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
However I've since learned that the HFP package is available straight from the mfr in Canada. Somehow the states got screwed out of the HFP trim and the parts are considered dealer I installed accessories in the US.
Who told you this?

inertiadrifto86

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan(traded), 2011 Acura MDX Adv, 2019 Acura TLX A-Spec(traded), 2018 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag