Civic Si in GS

jwbrockman

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatch Sport Manual, 2007 Honda S2000 (STR)
Country flag
17x8 +45 is the typical GS/HS legal size. I have a set of Konig Oversteer and a set of Konig Hypergram in that size for my HS Sport Hatch, and the two GS Sis in my region run RPF1s in that size.
Sponsored

pretzelface

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
What light weight wheels do you guys recommend? I was looking at RPF1's but I am unsure of the dimensions that would be legal for GS.
RPF1s are a great choice. High quality, light, and a reasonable price. There's a reason that they're the most common wheel you'll see in grid at any given event.

Paprocjo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI, 2016 Mazda CX-5
Country flag
RPF1s are a great choice. High quality, light, and a reasonable price. There's a reason that they're the most common wheel you'll see in grid at any given event.
Yeah that's what I was noticing as well. Will light weight wheels and stickier tires be the best upgrade(besides seat time) or is there some else I should start with?

5inn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Type R
Country flag
Yeah that's what I was noticing as well. Will light weight wheels and stickier tires be the best upgrade(besides seat time) or is there some else I should start with?
The only other thing you really need is a rear bar. I'd rather have the wheels and tires, but the bar is relatively small potatoes in terms of cost compared to new wheels/tires. I'd recommend checking forums/facebook marketplace/craigslist before buying brand new wheels.

pretzelface

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
The tires will make a bigger difference than anything else you could conceivably do. Wheels will have to be purchased along with the tires, though, which makes the total cost substantial.

If you want a sway bar to be competitive, the Karcepts bar is the only real option. It's a loud, clanking nightmare on the street though, so nobody would fault you for going with the Type R bar.

burglar

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
I just picked up an '18 sedan for a DD, and if it's fun between the cones I hope to bring it to Lincoln next year. So far I've installed a Whiteline rear bar (noisy Karwan is NG for my DD) and have a set of Hypergrams sitting in the garage waiting to see if something new beats the 4/1 deadline. I pulled the strut pins but haven't added the camber yet.

And since I like to provide useful information with posts if possible:

Yesterday I measured the toe as delivered as 0° front / 1/16" in rear. More aggressive than I expected from the factory. The rear adjusters were quite sensitive, the width of the QA paint mark on each side put it to 1/16" total out, where I decided to start. Didn't see much discussion on rear toe in this thread. Wanted to get that job done before the first winter of salt got on the car.

Test drive with the bar and toe change seemed, well, ok at best. Didn't have huge expectations on the OE no seasons, but I'm hoping the chassis gets a lot more playful once I get some stickies on. Unfortunately have a 6 month wait until the next event here.

Hope to see some of you at national events next year.

destoups

First Name
Des
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Country flag
Welcome aboard, Matt! The car is a blast. I did the same alignment, PLUS the Karcepts bar, PLUS a ton of pressure in back, because the car gave me the strong impression of being ... not fun. I spent the season walking back my first impression. In its fastest setup, we wound up at 1/16 toe out in the rear, bar on softest setting, pressures even to a tiny bit higher in back, for our not terribly grippy Northwest lots.

To my chagrin I have never spun the car, though that has always been my aim with setup :) But pretty much every other driver who helped me along the way either spun it or swore it was trying to kill them.

das borgen

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E36 M3, Ducati 748, '17 EGP Si Coupe
Country flag
I just picked up an '18 sedan for a DD, and if it's fun between the cones I hope to bring it to Lincoln next year. So far I've installed a Whiteline rear bar (noisy Karwan is NG for my DD) and have a set of Hypergrams sitting in the garage waiting to see if something new beats the 4/1 deadline. I pulled the strut pins but haven't added the camber yet.

And since I like to provide useful information with posts if possible:

Yesterday I measured the toe as delivered as 0° front / 1/16" in rear. More aggressive than I expected from the factory. The rear adjusters were quite sensitive, the width of the QA paint mark on each side put it to 1/16" total out, where I decided to start. Didn't see much discussion on rear toe in this thread. Wanted to get that job done before the first winter of salt got on the car.

Test drive with the bar and toe change seemed, well, ok at best. Didn't have huge expectations on the OE no seasons, but I'm hoping the chassis gets a lot more playful once I get some stickies on. Unfortunately have a 6 month wait until the next event here.

Hope to see some of you at national events next year.
NG? what's that?

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW GTI, 2018 ABM CTR R-17001
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah I think thats what he meant. It has exposed rodends and such and probably will clunk and probably not great for the winter up here....

I am still running around the stock bar, I think I will swap them between seasons from next year on...

jwbrockman

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatch Sport Manual, 2007 Honda S2000 (STR)
Country flag
It’s not totally silent, but really with some good grease on the bushings and everything torqued properly I find the Karcepts bar totally livable. It was noisy ungreased but since I greased it and loctited the endlinks its not bad at all.

burglar

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Yeah if it were a dedicated autocross car I would have considered the Karcepts, it's a beautiful piece. Between the reports of noise and the exposed endlinks vs. road salt I decided to pocket the extra $350 and try and make due with the Whiteline. Besides, I've been known to not bother checking tire pressure, no way I'm fumbling around with a 9-position rear bar.

With the big assumption that nothing new comes out, anyone have a preference between the RE71 and BFG on the car? Everyone is on 255s?

Not possible, also what about a Veloster...
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Si in GS 512556a290a87e66d3aa722591fef45856f23bb7r1-360-450v2_128

das borgen

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E36 M3, Ducati 748, '17 EGP Si Coupe
Country flag
Yeah if it were a dedicated autocross car I would have considered the Karcepts, it's a beautiful piece. Between the reports of noise and the exposed endlinks vs. road salt I decided to pocket the extra $350 and try and make due with the Whiteline. Besides, I've been known to not bother checking tire pressure, no way I'm fumbling around with a 9-position rear bar.

With the big assumption that nothing new comes out, anyone have a preference between the RE71 and BFG on the car? Everyone is on 255s?

512556a290a87e66d3aa722591fef45856f23bb7r1-360-450v2_128.jpg
I think the BFG is more to my driving style. I'm switching to that next year based on driving Chad's car at the airport. 255, yes.

I heavily recommend the Sport Edition A15. 19.4 lbs for $144 shipped apiece is tough to beat from a value standpoint.

it's what I have

5inn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Type R
Country flag
255 BFGs suit my style better too, I think.

That being said, I bought 245 Bridgestones. Cheaper, and plenty good enough for locals. I think I finished 4th in pax for the year. I think the Hypergrams could be had for less than that (and are lighter).
Sponsored