Civic si has more potential than type r( aftermarket wise).

Joshs SI

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
im new to this forum, and I just got a 2019 Honda Civic is coupe(FC3), and I was just looking around and I noticed that it looks like people are able to get more out of the Si that the type R, why is that? and how come we have a 10 sec si on stock block, but we can't get a type r to 10 sec.
Sponsored

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 2006 Mazda 6
Country flag
im new to this forum, and I just got a 2019 Honda Civic is coupe(FC3), and I was just looking around and I noticed that it looks like people are able to get more out of the Si that the type R, why is that? and how come we have a 10 sec si on stock block, but we can't get a type r to 10 sec.
Not true. To get similar power levels to a type r you would need at minimum an aftermarket clutch, bigger turbo, ethanol, all the bolt ons etc. Even so with a stock motor, you’re pushing the safe limits at lets say 350 whp in the si, then the type r at 350. Type r doesn’t need ethanol or a turbo upgrade to make good power.

OP
OP

Joshs SI

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
oh I got you, but how come we still see SI's in the 10s but no type R's, and I feel like the type R had way more hype around it

OP
OP

Joshs SI

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Not true. To get similar power levels to a type r you would need at minimum an aftermarket clutch, bigger turbo, ethanol, all the bolt ons etc. Even so with a stock motor, you’re pushing the safe limits at lets say 350 whp in the si, then the type r at 350. Type r doesn’t need ethanol or a turbo upgrade to make good power.
oh I got you, but how come we still see SI's in the 10s but no type R's, and I feel like the type R had way more hype around it

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
I'm just guessing, but maybe because the Si is lighter (CTR 3,117 LBS, Civic Si 2889 LBS)

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 2006 Mazda 6
Country flag
well I clearly understand that, but if its such good engine in the type r why aren't we seeing better numbers.
I don’t think most type r owners drag race their cars. I’m sure if it’s making good power it would put down nice times. You’d likely have to get 18” wheels and tires and most just don’t bother

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
well I clearly understand that, but if its such good engine in the type r why aren't we seeing better numbers.
If you look at a stable 400 whp Civic Si which was built by Eman, you will notice that he used a lot of CTR as well as aftermarket parts, ethanol etc to achieve this. A stock Si engine is in danger of being blown after 300 whp (that is the rumor at least), so in that sense the CTR has more potential without having to go to the aftermarket. To answer your specific question, someone with more knowledge would have to weigh in, I've exhausted mine

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
There have recently been multiple stock turbo Type R's running race gas tunes and getting in the low 11's. Recent Hondata developments have also allowed us to break the 400 whp barrier on stock turbo. It's not recommended due to it really being outside of the turbo's efficiency band, but it's possible.

PRL has also been testing a drop in turbo upgrade for the R (similar to the 27Won upgrade for the SI) that has already hit 463 whp on stock internals and stock fuel pump, with zero loss in low end spool. Upgraded D.I. pumps and bigger turbo's are also being worked on as well (with upgraded internals), with some test builds exceeding 500 whp.

All that is to say that the Type R development is coming along very well. You just don't hear about it because there are only a small fraction of the number of 1.5T's.

Spiff44

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI
Country flag
I would say that's true to a degree.. simply the more "tuned" it is from the factory then less room for improvement for the aftermarket. Its why you won't see too many mods for exotics like Ferrari.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
I would say that's true to a degree.. simply the more "tuned" it is from the factory then less room for improvement for the aftermarket. Its why you won't see too many mods for exotics like Ferrari.
I do see your point, but by that metric, the SI should have had very poor potential (it doesn't), since the engine is an uptuned version of the same 1.5T in the EX-T. In practice, a stock turbo FBO SI with a custom tune on 93 has almost the same delta from the factory tune as a FBO stock turbo custom tuned R on 93 (~60 whp for the SI, versus ~80 whp for the Type R). The biggest difference is that the R doesn't have the fuel bandwidth left in the stock pump to take advantage of Ethanol, while the SI does.

Spiff44

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI
Country flag
Yeah, but not when you're talking about physical limits of the car.. Honda is pushing the safety over head threshold for just about every component of the engine on the CTR. Its basically that safety threshold that the aftermarket dips into and sometimes goes over. That's the simple fact of things. Of course there is more overhead on a base version vs the SI.. same for SI vs CTR.

Take the Mercedes-AMG M133 4 banger making something like 400+HP with 30+PSI of boost from the factory. Your safety overhead threshold probably barely accounts for warranty duration... a person would be a fool trying to milk more from that. Or at the very least, no surprise when she blows.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
it would be harder to fit those big ballooned drag tires on the front of a CTR due to their big front brakes too.

H3llsp4wn707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 wrx
Country flag
Dumbest thread ever. The Si on Type R power levels probably wouldn't make it 25k miles. Meanwhile, a stock R will go 250k.

Not to mention the Si probably outsells the R 20:1 so the market to sell parts is 20x greater for an Si. You're getting potential and aftermarket performance parts availability severely confused

Last edited:

H3llsp4wn707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 wrx
Country flag
Its why you won't see too many mods for exotics like Ferrari.
No its not, not even close. Ferrari only makes 8000 cars a year- thats the reason why. Who is going to R and D parts for a f12 when only 300 a year are made? Cmon man.
Sponsored