Civic Si: Console Accent Light

TheKevinlyFather

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe (Sold), 2020 Acura RDX A-Spec (SH-AWD)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hello All,

For those that don't know what I'm referencing in the title, it's the light that illuminates the phone charging area under the center display. There also seems to be a separate light (also white) that illuminates the 12v and USB ports in between the foot wells. I took pictures of these lights and posted them a while back, but can't seem to find the thread I posted it in. So, if anyone is still confused by what I mean and know more than I on searching historical posts, please search there. I posted a couple of pictures.

I'm going for a red ambient theme on the interior of the car. I think it looks slick in a black car and the Si already has that red ambient light shining down on the shifter. The white lights at night are just bothering me and I have to do something about it after 6 months of torture. I've decided to start here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AFU4QB8.

I'm a little worried it will be too bright. But, hoping I can wire this into the slots that the current lights are in and finally rid myself of the pesky white lights :).

Has anyone else tried messing with these lights? Think I'd be able to use the wire already going to these lights and just splice in (I would remove the old bulbs)? Any words of advice from those more experienced that I before taking in this endeavor?
Sponsored

OP
OP
TheKevinlyFather

TheKevinlyFather

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Going to attempt to ask for guidance one last time before taking the plunge into the unknown this weekend :). I'll be finishing my chrome delete and hopefully hard-wiring my footwell lights. Want to take a stab at the console ambient light while I'm tucking the footwell wires away.

Anyone have any experience messing with these lights?

SangreRaven

First Name
Raven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My EX Hatch also has these and I had considered doing this same mod to red but have no gotten around to it. I have a feeling it should be rather easy once you get all the trim and panel bits out of the way. Most likely its an LED on the end of a wire along the lines of the underdash accent lights you can add as an accessory. On my 15 Civic Coupe it had those under the dash and I clip the bulb from the end of the wire on each side and stripped the covering off the power and ground and wired in a new led strip for each side so I would have red lighting under the dash.. it was also much brighter :) but then again it was a decent size led strip compared to one little puddle led light.

-R

Ataricade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Hello All,

For those that don't know what I'm referencing in the title, it's the light that illuminates the phone charging area under the center display. There also seems to be a separate light (also white) that illuminates the 12v and USB ports in between the foot wells. I took pictures of these lights and posted them a while back, but can't seem to find the thread I posted it in. So, if anyone is still confused by what I mean and know more than I on searching historical posts, please search there. I posted a couple of pictures.

I'm going for a red ambient theme on the interior of the car. I think it looks slick in a black car and the Si already has that red ambient light shining down on the shifter. The white lights at night are just bothering me and I have to do something about it after 6 months of torture. I've decided to start here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AFU4QB8.

I'm a little worried it will be too bright. But, hoping I can wire this into the slots that the current lights are in and finally rid myself of the pesky white lights :).

Has anyone else tried messing with these lights? Think I'd be able to use the wire already going to these lights and just splice in (I would remove the old bulbs)? Any words of advice from those more experienced that I before taking in this endeavor?
Just put red film over the lights. You can’t see the fixtures anyways.

OP
OP
TheKevinlyFather

TheKevinlyFather

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just put red film over the lights. You can’t see the fixtures anyways.
I definitely have this listed as a solid plan B :). Feedback I got from someone that had done that was that it doesn't look the same as an actual red LED.

I'd really like this to match the LED footwell LED's I just put in. In a perfect world, I'd want it all to look like it came as a complete/matching kit.

OP
OP
TheKevinlyFather

TheKevinlyFather

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It’s a bit bright, but it works!

Anyone know of a way to dim this down without creating a ton of heat?

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Si: Console Accent Light 605DF904-DE5A-4CEC-9FF4-6ACF6BCAFE55

RickTheWelder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
The proper sized inline resistor will get you the brightness you want. On 12v, it will generate very little heat. A heatshrink tube works just fine for insulation.
Sponsored