hassanfarroq

First Name
Hassan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X, honda city 5th gen
Hello,
I'm looking for some answers and a search for them brought me here.
I just got a Civic 10th gen 1.8 CVT oriel with infotainment, there was also an option for 1.5 turbo but due to poor quality of fuel here, i couldn't go for it.
The civic that we get here in pakistan is like a very base/trimmed edition.
I want to improve speakers, there are no tweeters; i want to add them, but I'll prefer to replace parts rather than modification on the present ones.
Then is it possible to add Paddle shifters?
Lastly, any modifications/Tunning to improve fuel consumption (i do have eco mode)?
Sponsored

shihabp79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #2740
Country flag
You have a CVT. There are no gears and therefor no need for paddle shifters. The "sound" of your transmission shifting is completely artificial.

OP
OP

hassanfarroq

First Name
Hassan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You have a CVT. There are no gears and therefor no need for paddle shifters. The "sound" of your transmission shifting is completely artificial.
i do have the idea how CVT works, i still want to add them. Any way?

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
not entirely true at all with the honda programming. They are fixed gear ratios. The cvt locks to individual gear ratios to "simulate" physical gear changes. Which how its implemented are actually gear ratios. In essence the cvt acts like a conventional auto when being shifted buy the sport mode padles. My wifes 17 accord sport se has this feature.

OP
OP

hassanfarroq

First Name
Hassan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
not entirely true at all with the honda programming. They are fixed gear ratios. The cvt locks to individual gear ratios to "simulate" physical gear changes. Which how its implemented are actually gear ratios. In essence the cvt acts like a conventional auto when being shifted buy the sport mode padles. My wifes 17 accord sport se has this feature.
Hence it should be possible to add paddle shifts, anyone?

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Hence it should be possible to add paddle shifts, anyone?
There is pretty much no way that makes sense for you to add paddle shifters to your Civic. It wouldn't work because a car pretty much needs to be shipped with that option, and if you wanted to add it, wiring and all that other crap would be insanely hard because pretty much no one has done it before. So in short, there is no way to add them.

shihabp79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #2740
Country flag
Still not seeing where what I said wasn't completely true lol. CVT uses pulleys and belts (yes, I know it's more complicated than that but that's what the system boils down to) in lieu of gears and gear ratios and "simulating" physical gear changes is completely artificial. Again, if it's all just programming, what's the point of paddle shifters? Honestly, if people didn't need those fake gear ratios, the transmission would be smoother and more fuel efficient. A CVT would go immediately to the optimum engine rpm for efficiency and stay there.

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
Still not seeing where what I said wasn't completely true lol. CVT uses pulleys and belts (yes, I know it's more complicated than that but that's what the system boils down to) in lieu of gears and gear ratios and "simulating" physical gear changes is completely artificial. Again, if it's all just programming, what's the point of paddle shifters? Honestly, if people didn't need those fake gear ratios, the transmission would be smoother and more fuel efficient. A CVT would go immediately to the optimum engine rpm for efficiency and stay there.
Your still missing the point. It is an individual gear ratio. So it is a gear. And no you can still feel the "shifting" it does without being in paddle mode. Honda is the ONLY company I'd own a cvt from because of this. Excellent engineering.

shihabp79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #2740
Country flag
Your still missing the point. It is an individual gear ratio. So it is a gear. And no you can still feel the "shifting" it does without being in paddle mode. Honda is the ONLY company I'd own a cvt from because of this. Excellent engineering.
There. Is. No. Traditional. Gear. Set. Jesus Christ, pedantic person. The shifting is all software so, for the last time, the paddles are gimmicks.

OP
OP

hassanfarroq

First Name
Hassan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There. Is. No. Traditional. Gear. Set. Jesus Christ, pedantic person. The shifting is all software so, for the last time, the paddles are gimmicks.
I'm a mechanical engineer, implementation of CVT is an important aspect when answering this question. The way honda applied it is 7 mode cvt, which acts like gears (programmed) and paddle shifter can be used to switch the gear ratio. Just consider that I'm on 80km/h, and as per default setting it stays at 6th gear, and if we consider weight, drag force, friction etc, and it can maintain the same speed at a higher gear ratio with less addition of fuel, that's the point where paddle kicks in.
I have an NWGN turbo with 7 gear cvt, without paddle it stays at max 17-18 kml and with paddle i can squeeze 20+
Sponsored