Civic owner's guide updated to include Si

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
My only hope, a fading one though, is that the Si falls under the #4 category and will have the spare:

upload_2017-5-8_15-15-44.png

If it doesn't... and there's no easy way to put one in... that might be a deal breaker. I don't want to get stranded and call AAA with a flat just because they wanted to shed a few extra pounds of weight. That should have been at least an option!
I think you are right. It might be an accessory add-on, or a factory option like the summer tires.

We need someone with access to the parts catalog to confirm if the rear trunk area is different on the Si (and whether the spare tire is an option).
Sponsored

WNCSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Si
Country flag
I think you are right. It might be an accessory add-on, or a factory option like the summer tires.

We need someone with access to the parts catalog to confirm if the rear trunk area is different on the Si (and whether the spare tire is an option).
I would be incredibly surprised if the floor of the trunk was different than the Other models simply because of the additional machines and tooling it would require. Seems like it being excluded in the name of weight savings (with the real reason being cost) and then available at dealerships would make sense.

ikbenben

Belgium spec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic 1.5T Sport Plus HB
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The tire repair kit is an interesting approach. They probably did it to save weight.
I already got the kit in my (Euro) hatch instead of the spare.

An interior photo of an Si at the NYIAS clearly shows ridges on the volume bar just like the non-Si models. Perhaps Honda are using the same component and simply disabled the slide feature or they made a last-minute change to a rocker switch.
Mine doesn't have the slide feature but does have the ridges.

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Mine doesn't have the slide feature but does have the ridges.
So is it a rocker-type control? Is there a quick/easy way to mute or bring the volume way down? My understanding was that that's one of the useful features of the slider thingy...

joe007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Integra
Country flag
Why do you have to toggle SPORT mode every time you get in the car? What's going to happen when someone forgets once in a while? The car is going to handle like a minivan, someone will oversteer off a bridge. Dumb decision Honda, SPORT should be default, or it should toggle and remember the last setting!!

The entire adjustable handling / suspension feature is one of the dumbest ideas I have ever heard, right up there with the e-parking brake. How about you sell the Si with ONLY the SPORT handling / suspension, and tell people who don't like it to buy a CR-V.

OP
OP
zroger73

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Why do you have to toggle SPORT mode every time you get in the car? What's going to happen when someone forgets once in a while? The car is going to handle like a minivan, someone will oversteer off a bridge. Dumb decision Honda, SPORT should be default, or it should toggle and remember the last setting!!

The entire adjustable handling / suspension feature is one of the dumbest ideas I have ever heard, right up there with the e-parking brake. How about you sell the Si with ONLY the SPORT handling / suspension, and tell people who don't like it to buy a CR-V.
I think it's a very smart move on Honda's part. Most of the time, most Si owners will be driving from point A to point B on public roadways with other traffic in a safe and legal manner. Occasionally, some of them will want to enjoy the curvy backroads or engage in some friendly competition in a sanctioned area. A few will drive like idiots everywhere they go trying to race every car they pull up beside at a traffic light. For the majority, it's nice to have a comfortable setting for relaxed, easy driving and a less comfortable setting for sharper handling during spirited or competitive driving.

I do agree that it should be a persistent setting that doesn't default one way or another each time the car is shut off - just like ECON mode.

coopermidnight

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Out of everything related to the 2017 Civic Si, this is what you choose to fume over. Cool off, buddy. If someone forgets sport mode and goes off a bridge, Darwin would've taken him out sooner or later anyway.

Wizerud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mini Clubman S All4
Would be nice if turning off traction control also put the car in Sport mode automatically.

WNCSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Si
Country flag
Out of everything related to the 2017 Civic Si, this is what you choose to fume over. Cool off, buddy. If someone forgets sport mode and goes off a bridge, Darwin would've taken him out sooner or later anyway.
Yep. Dummies gonna dumb. No button on the console can cure stupid.

joe007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Integra
Country flag
Sorry, default should be sport. Sorry, this is a mothing f**king Civic Si, not some minivan or CR-V. Civic Si means SPORT, that's what the S stands for. Honda screwed up big time on this car.

jd2157

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan MSM
Country flag
Sorry, default should be sport. Sorry, this is a mothing f**king Civic Si, not some minivan or CR-V. Civic Si means SPORT, that's what the S stands for. Honda screwed up big time on this car.
"Should" is whatever Honda decides it is. It's pretty clear what they've decided the Si should be from the choices they've made. From the 1.5 instead of the 2.0, to the Econ mode being persistent, to the weight reduction, etc... they believe the Si "should" be fuel efficient while being fun... fuel efficiency is part of their brand and always has been.

ikbenben

Belgium spec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So is it a rocker-type control? Is there a quick/easy way to mute or bring the volume way down? My understanding was that that's one of the useful features of the slider thingy...
Yep, it looks exactly the same as the slider but without the slide function. Push up or down to adjust volume.
You can mute in the screen. If you touch the volume "button" a slider appears with a mute "button" under.

Eldorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Yep, it looks exactly the same as the slider but without the slide function. Push up or down to adjust volume.
You can mute in the screen. If you touch the volume "button" a slider appears with a mute "button" under.
I can't understand the decision here.. Why would they do this? I mean, it uses the same audio head unit.. why use a different switch on the steering wheel controls?

ikbenben

Belgium spec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I can't understand the decision here.. Why would they do this? I mean, it uses the same audio head unit.. why use a different switch on the steering wheel controls?
There are more things about the Civic among countries that doesn't make sense :p
Sponsored