walkergt

First Name
Wyatt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic LX Hatch
Country flag
I currently own a 2019 Civic LX hatch, and I am looking to replace my steering wheel with a custom model from Buddy Club. The only issue is judging by the display, the wheel's designed for the EX+ models (the ones with the silver trim on the bottom spoke - the LX doesn't have that).

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic LX steering wheel swap buddy-club-bud-bc08-rsswfc-c-carbon-352480952323_4000x.progressive

Will the steering wheel still fit? If not, where can I get the bottom part of the wheel?
Sponsored

integraboi

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport, Mk4 Jetta VR6
Country flag
I'm pretty sure the steering wheels come completely naked... You have to switch the trim from your wheel to the Buddy Club wheel.

OP
OP

walkergt

First Name
Wyatt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic LX Hatch
Country flag
So the LX wheel trim will fit, then. Good to know.

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

grumpyoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic DX sedan
Country flag
Do you have up-close pics of the steering? I am having trouble removing the controls on mine.

Thanks,
GOM

vladucard

First Name
Caspian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just did this swap this past Sunday on my SportHatch. I recommed watching the following video since the individual shows you where the clips are (to the best of their ability).

This video here is from a Honda tech, I watched both the one shared above and this one:

Prying tools from ebay/amazon will be very, very helpful! Overall, it took me about an hour tops to do it.

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic LX steering wheel swap 41
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic LX steering wheel swap 42

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX
Country flag
So the LX wheel trim will fit, then. Good to know.
I know this is an old thread. New here and was just wondering the same thing. Did you ever find out if the LX trim fits the new wheel? Or anyone else know? I was wondering since it doesn't have the silver like other models if it is a different size.

@that_1redcivic

First Name
Milly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport (CVT)
Country flag
I just did this swap this past Sunday on my SportHatch. I recommed watching the following video since the individual shows you where the clips are (to the best of their ability).

This video here is from a Honda tech, I watched both the one shared above and this one:

Prying tools from ebay/amazon will be very, very helpful! Overall, it took me about an hour tops to do it.

41.jpg
42.jpg
how did you get the paddles to fit? I thought that the paddles didn't work with any aftermarket steering wheel

dt10g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX sedan 6MT (Canadian)
Country flag
I know this is an old thread. New here and was just wondering the same thing. Did you ever find out if the LX trim fits the new wheel? Or anyone else know? I was wondering since it doesn't have the silver like other models if it is a different size.
I have a collection of steering wheels and trims right behind me.
Here is the LX black vs. Silver trim (I'll call it the EX...)

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic LX steering wheel swap IMG_5186.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic LX steering wheel swap IMG_5187.JPG

The LX piece is lighter, and a little flimsier (when not installed on the steering wheel)
The EX piece is two pieces plastic riveted together

The upper screw holes are identical
The lower three plugs are identical
The difference is that the EX has the two little shafts towards the upper center
However I don't believe those are used at all...

Basically I am 99.999% sure you can use the LX trims on any Civic steering wheel...
But if you need or want the Silver trims, you can buy those from HondaPartsNow.com ($35)

You can see where it clicks in below...
- three plugs in the bottom
- two screws toward the center (and the arms fit over those nubs to the outside)
- plastic pieces insert into the small black holes just at the edge of the leather
Either LX or EX trims should fit this no problem.

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic LX steering wheel swap 1706736447753

Another option if you are just worried about aesthetics, is that you can get carbon overlays from Carbon Sixth Element. They should overlay either of the trims just fine.

And don't go with anyone else, these guys are the best by a long shot

https://carbonsixthelement.com/product-category/interior/steering-wheel/

Last edited:

dt10g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
how did you get the paddles to fit? I thought that the paddles didn't work with any aftermarket steering wheel
Paddles should fit , it's a different plastic backshell and stuff.

I have an LX non-paddle wheel, and EX paddle wheel sitting right here, and I installed a Mugen wheel, and looking at the two of them, and pictures of the Mugen I see no difference whatsoever.

I was going to do something funky with paddles (like use them for other purposes) but once you're used to a non-paddle wheel, you'll be supremely annoyed by how paddles encroach on space you're used to having for your fingers behind the wheel...

PS. My response has nothing to do with making Paddles WORK... if your car does not already work with paddles. I am simply referring to physical fitment on steering wheels. If you have a paddle car, you would just transfer over your steering wheel wiring harness like on any other steering wheel upgrade.

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX
Country flag
I have a collection of steering wheels and trims right behind me.
Here is the LX black vs. Silver trim (I'll call it the EX...)

IMG_5186.JPG

IMG_5187.JPG

The LX piece is lighter, and a little flimsier (when not installed on the steering wheel)
The EX piece is two pieces plastic riveted together

The upper screw holes are identical
The lower three plugs are identical
The difference is that the EX has the two little shafts towards the upper center
However I don't believe those are used at all...

Basically I am 99.999% sure you can use the LX trims on any Civic steering wheel...
But if you need or want the Silver trims, you can buy those from HondaPartsNow.com ($35)

Another option if you are just worried about aesthetics, is that you can get carbon overlays from Carbon Sixth Element. They should overlay either of the trims just fine.

And don't go with anyone else, these guys are the best by a long shot

https://carbonsixthelement.com/product-category/interior/steering-wheel/
Thank you for the input. I definitely appreciate it. I could not find a Handkraftd in stock so went with the Revesol. Should be in this weekend.

dt10g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thank you for the input. I definitely appreciate it. I could not find a Handkraftd in stock so went with the Revesol. Should be in this weekend.
Good luck!
Some reminders about installation tips...

Strongly recommend you use an impact wrench to remove the steering wheel bolt...
People say they can do it with a breaker bar and two people, but I had a 4ft breaker and it wasn't remotely budging. Then I hit with the impact and it was done in 30 seconds.

Also you are supposed to replace the steering wheel bolt rather than re-use it.
A new one is like $12... some aftermarket wheels may come with the bolt, some may not.

https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~bolt~steering~wheel~m18x1~5~g~90161-tx4-000.html

Also just be careful to disconnect your battery and let the airbag discharge over a suitable time period.

Happy motoring.

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX
Country flag
Good luck!
Some reminders about installation tips...

Strongly recommend you use an impact wrench to remove the steering wheel bolt...
People say they can do it with a breaker bar and two people, but I had a 4ft breaker and it wasn't remotely budging. Then I hit with the impact and it was done in 30 seconds.

Also you are supposed to replace the steering wheel bolt rather than re-use it.
A new one is like $12... some aftermarket wheels may come with the bolt, some may not.

https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~bolt~steering~wheel~m18x1~5~g~90161-tx4-000.html

Also just be careful to disconnect your battery and let the airbag discharge over a suitable time period.

Happy motoring.
Impact definitely helped. Went very smooth and definitely an improvement

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic LX steering wheel swap received_2126186837722414
Sponsored