2.0L Civic LX 2017 2.0L CVT - Should I tune/mod considering warranty?

Jeune Padawan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2017
Hey! Basically, I bought an automatic Civic LX 2017 and I kind of regret my choice... It's the perfect car for comfort, reliability and all, but now I really crave a more "sportive" driving experience... I don't have the money to change my car, but I could have some for modding it and I'm wondering if it's actually worth it. I've been looking at getting it tuned, but I'm not too sure if it's doable/worth it for a 2.0L cvt? I'd also look for an exhaust, an intake, coilover and 17" mags. I would have really liked to have a turbo, but as far as I know, I can't just buy a turbo kit and slap it on without any repercussions to the rest of the vehicule's parts. Problem is, I actually have an Honda Plus VIP Plan warranty for 5 years/100 000km with free oil changes and I know I could get in trouble with modding my car. Many say you can just flash back your ecu to stock and put back your stock parts before going off to the dealer if you have an accident, but won't they see you've tuned/flashed your ecu?

Thanks for helping me out... Kind of in a bummer!
Sponsored

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
IF you can afford an exhaust,intake, coilovers , rims or turbo kit,( no one makes one) and a tuner than you can afford to trade your car in for something more sporty

OP
OP

Jeune Padawan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2017
IF you can afford an exhaust,intake, coilovers , rims or turbo kit, and a tuner than you can afford to trade your car in for something more sporty
Someone endorsed me, which made me pass credit-wise since I was only a student at the time. Even now, my credit is very good but it hasn't been long enough for me to be able to make such a big loan by myself and I can't get endorsed again. Shit happens I guess... Because I would have loved to have an SI 6 speed :(

a c i d.f l y

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX 2.0 CVT Sedan w Sensing
Country flag
Get a Ktuner, and go with that, you won't regret it. Then slap on some new rubber on the rims, it'll feel like a new car. Adding an inch width on rims also added a ton of horizontal stability without the need for upgraded suspension (which I'll be doing eventually). I have a 2.0 with ktuner, intake, downpipe, rims and tires. The tune made the most significant difference. Intake just added noise. Downpipe added icing to the tune, but has other issues like NOx/CO fumes (not noticeable on the road, but will be if you're sitting still with the windows down, not terrible, but noticeable), as well as being illegal in most states and can prevent inspection - it takes 30 minutes to swap, so getting an inspection might not be a big deal. 18x8/40 rims, 235/45ZR18 tires makes corning flawless, and high speeds much more comfortable (Texas has a lot of 75-85mph roads where I'm at).

OP
OP

Jeune Padawan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2017
Get a Ktuner, and go with that, you won't regret it. Then slap on some new rubber on the rims, it'll feel like a new car. Adding an inch width on rims also added a ton of horizontal stability without the need for upgraded suspension (which I'll be doing eventually). I have a 2.0 with ktuner, intake, downpipe, rims and tires. The tune made the most significant difference. Intake just added noise. Downpipe added icing to the tune, but has other issues like NOx/CO fumes (not noticeable on the road, but will be if you're sitting still with the windows down, not terrible, but noticeable), as well as being illegal in most states and can prevent inspection - it takes 30 minutes to swap, so getting an inspection might not be a big deal. 18x8/40 rims, 235/45ZR18 tires makes corning flawless, and high speeds much more comfortable (Texas has a lot of 75-85mph roads where I'm at).
Thanks a lot for the answer! Yeah, I'm looking to get a v2 KTuner. Actually, I already have a few mods in mind : magnaflow catback, rv6 pcd downpipe, aem cai + heatshield and maybe a bypass valve and mags 18x8/40 (though idk really where to find those). I saw on tirerack some moda md18 18x8 +2, but idk if "40" would be +4? I'm not sure about the downpipe either, I don't want too much noise either and if you say it'll smell a bit then I don't think I'll get it. I'm not even sure if my dual catback will fit on my civic? From what I saw on the website it will, but idk if I'll be able to see it from the back of the car since the stock one is kind of hidden. For the rest of the mods along the years, I'd go with a Godspeed Mono Maxx coilover, skunk2 ultra bmf 2 camshafts and a skunk2 throttle body. This is my first time ever modding a car though... I don't want to have too much torque either as I read it's not good on a cvt civic. At first it'll really only be catback, intake and a tune. If I see that the sound isn't too high, I'll look into a downpipe. As for the wheels, which ones do you have? I mean the model?

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate the help. First time modding a car and I'm new to all this!

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Save some money and get v1.2 and use your phone for the display. Since you have the NA 2.0 your not really going to be getting much out of the motor regardless what you do so save the money you are thinking of using on internals and put it towards a new car with better power later on.

OP
OP

Jeune Padawan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2017
Save some money and get v1.2 and use your phone for the display. Since you have the NA 2.0 your not really going to be getting much out of the motor regardless what you do so save the money you are thinking of using on internals and put it towards a new car with better power later on.
Eh, I like my car and I'm planning to keep it at least for the next 4 year, which is really not that long. Might as well mod it the way I want!

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Get KTuner. I can also attest to the fact that it makes your car feel so much better than stock. The tune WILL NOT void your warranty because all you need to do is flash back to stock before taking it into service. I am also getting some new wheels/tires soon so that will only improve the car.

a c i d.f l y

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Not having modded a vehicle before, it's still nice to see your idealism on what you think you can do. Get the ktuner. 1.2, the 2.0 is just an extra $100. With a cvt, you're pretty limited. Exhaust is overrated on an engine the size of a Coke bottle. The stock is pretty much as free flowing as necessary, so you'd only be spending money on the sound. A catless downpipe with tune can offer up about 35hp. Tires will help keep you on the road and change the entire feel of the vehicle. Suspension as well. Don't expect to be able to make these heavy engine mods if you're being realistic. Sure, they're possible, but they'll wipe out your warranty over up to 10-15hp for an ass load of man hours. Allow me to bring you back down to earth. Tune, tires, rims if you're so inclined, suspension, and call me in the morning.

a c i d.f l y

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Btw, my rims are Versante 504, 18x8. Westlake 235/40ZR18 tires. Cheap, but grip. They're a bit hard, so take a few miles to warm up. I'm expecting 20-25k mi out of them at most.

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic LX 2017 2.0L CVT - Should I tune/mod considering warranty? 20180904_210834

RunningHot2017

20 years. Smashing gears.
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Probably an odd question but has anyone tried a Skunk2 camshaft on these new 2.0s?

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Probably an odd question but has anyone tried a Skunk2 camshaft on these new 2.0s?
No the grind is pretty aggressive for a daily driver and a car this new...i wish they would make the equivalent to 9th gen si cams..whose to say they might fit

Deezy

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Sedan 6MT (FC2)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Downpipe added icing to the tune, but has other issues like NOx/CO fumes (not noticeable on the road, but will be if you're sitting still with the windows down, not terrible, but noticeable).
Why do you think this is?