1. Guest, see the CivicX Forum Rules and User Agreement before posting.  After reading click here to dismiss this notice →
    Dismiss Notice

civic hatchback vs elantra sport

Discussion in 'Civic versus...' started by neastguy, Sep 25, 2018.

1. neastguy Member

First Name:
    Jeff
    Car(s):
    Mercury Mariner
    just wondering if any of you have tested both before purchase. I'm close to purchasing a new car and would like to hear your thoughts.... I'm a bit concerned about the Elantra warranty.. seems like I'm hearing that they don't honor it all that well...

2. W1NTER

W1NTER Senior Member

Car(s):
    2018 1.8L Civic Sedan
    Is there already a sport model of the new Elantra?

The one below is a "regular" trim.
    2019-hyundai-elantra.jpg

3. thatonedaveguy

thatonedaveguy Senior Member

Car(s):
    Honda
    While they may be in the same class in terms of car size, comparing a Hyundai Elantra to a Honda Civic is like comparing a TV dinner to finely prepared grilled steak. There's really no comparison when it comes to quality and reliability between the two. The only reason to get the Elantra is if you absolutely cannot afford one of the many significantly better options on the market(such as the Civic). Slapping the word Sport on the Elantra is like slapping the word premium on the tv dinner.

4. Superfly

Superfly Senior Member

First Name:
    D
    Car(s):
    2018 Civic Type R / 2018 Civic Si Sedan / 2018 Civic Si Coupe / 2018 Acccord 2.0 Touring
    Lol!

5. civicdabest-foo Senior Member

Car(s):
    Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
    Feel free to compare the hatch vs the Elantra based on C&D and MotorTrend's data. It's all out there. It's probably better if you yourself go sit in each of these cars. If you're value oriented yes the Elantra may win over you with its lower price. But like thatonedaveguy put it nicely, the hatch is a far more refined product for not much more money. If you're looking for the MPG and the driving refinement (let's not get carried away though, we're comparing econoboxes), hatch hands down.

Try both.

I bought the Touring sedan because I didn't feel the extra performance of the hatch over the sedan and even the econo Touring's FWD drive and handling felt way better than the Elantra sport and Cruze and Corolla.

neastguy thanked this.
  6. civicdabest-foo Senior Member

Car(s):
    Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
    The way I see it, the Elantra sport is to the Hatch what generic cola is to Pepsi.

neastguy thanked this.
  7. 9xArtanisx9

9xArtanisx9 Senior Member

Car(s):
    2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
    Garage Profiles:
    Here's my thing. Test drive both! If you have to do it twice, do it! The biggest mistake I made is when I bought my previous 2014 civic without test driving it and I hated it! After test driving the Civic Hatchback Sport I have, I fell in love! In terms of technical information, I would ask the dealerships. Honestly, I've never owned or drove the Elantra. I feel like we can give only so much information, since every person has a different preference.

defeated and neastguy thanked this.
  8. davidpeab Member

Car(s):
    2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatchback
    A closer comparison to the Civic Sport Hatchback would be the Hyundai Velocitor Sport, which I have no problem blowing away, even with my CVT and playschool paddle shifters in S mode.

xbbnx thanked this.
  9. absolude Senior Member

Car(s):
    KW SC 2007 CSX Type S, 2018 LX Hatch MT
    I have tested both before buying my hatch. I remember some nice features on the Elantra.
    Chose the Civic because of the handling. The Elantra seemed sportier but it had a wonky wobble in the rear just after exiting corners.

civicdabest-foo and defeated thanked this.
  10. sosoye

sosoye Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    Car(s):
    Civic Type R, S2000, Turbo Miata
    To start, I feel that we are comparing the wrong trims.
    The Civic Sport Hatchback should be compared with the Elantra ECO with the 1.4L turbocharged engine.
    While the Civic SI is comparable to the Elantra Sport.
    Nonetheless, the Elantra sport is a great car!
    Anyone bashing on the Elantra sport has never driven one.
    18 inch wheels with low profile tires, leather seats and a dual clutch transmission for the automatic version all for a car that you can get for under 20k brand new before taxes.
    Manual Civic Sport or DCT Elantra Sport is my vote.
    DUAL CLUTCH TRANSMISSION > CVT

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  11. civicdabest-foo Senior Member

Car(s):
    Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
    The handling reflects the mechanical refinement of the Civic. Like thatonedaveguy said, Civic is like a steak compared to TV dinner Elantra.

12. OP

neastguy Member

First Name:
    Jeff
    Car(s):
    Mercury Mariner
    I finally test drove a civic today.. I love driving it but hated the cloth seats.. found them uncomfy ... gonna have to start looking at EX-L hatch... I hate the way they do the trim.. don't care about nav or sensing :(

13. civicdabest-foo Senior Member

Car(s):
    Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
    I have the Touring, and it comes with the Nav and the Sensing. Having driven 2 generations of Civics before this, I'll say, the functionality the Nav provides is easily replaced by Google Maps. Sensing? I can't imagine life without it. LKAS and CMBS imo are by themselves worthy of a trim level. But I hear ya about the way they stack up the trims, I'm shopping for the new Accord and hate how trims are set up like cable tv package choices. :confused:

14. charleswrivers

charleswrivers Senior Member

EMNC(SS)
    First Name:
    Charles
    Car(s):
    '14 Odyssey EX-L '18 Civic SI Sedan '94 300zx twin turbo 2001 Ford F-150 Sport
    Garage Profiles:
    There have been several threads like this one. My two cents is this: The Elantra and the Velositor may be comparable to the Civic as new cars, checking a lot of boxes and posting some impressive numbers. The problem I've found with Hyundai, having owned one in the past, my mom owning one currently and reading a lot if reviews as they aren't as good day-to-day as their numbers suggest and age like milk instead of wine. Hyundai keeps improving by leaps and bounds model after model, but their cars seem to be junk, albeit functional junk, inside 5 years. They're great on paper though, review as a new car favorably and have an aggressive price point.

civicdabest-foo thanked this.
  15. Dis4Damion Senior Member

First Name:
    Damion
    Car(s):
    2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatchback
    I'll agree with this post. Honda Sensing is absolutely amazing! Is Honda Sensing only on the Sport Touring hatch or is it available on all of the other trims?