Civic hatchback Sport vs Elantra GT N-Line

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
Looking at replacing my 2017 Sport this year, will hit 100k miles by summer.

The Elantra GT N-Line caught my eye - sport seats, 200 hp 1.6T, sportier suspension, and the trunk is bigger than some cars like the GTI that I felt had too small or short a trunk. Price is pretty close, the Sport 6MT might be $1k cheaper.

Anyone driven the N-Line? After the reliability ssues with my Civic I no longer worry about reliability - seems bad everywhere.

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic hatchback Sport vs Elantra GT N-Line 2019-hyundai-elantra-gt-n-line-2

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic hatchback Sport vs Elantra GT N-Line 2019-hyundai-elantra-gt-n-line-11

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Having spent 17+ years in new Hyundai/Kia cars, I had zero reliability issues. YMMV but I actually was disappointed with the QC on my Civic versus the Korean built cars I've owned/driven. With ex-BMW M Division guru Albert Biermann in charge you know the handling on that GT will be good. And me personally, I prefer the more traditional look of the GT hatch. The car is known as the i30 in Europe.

Last edited:
OP
OP
VarmintCong

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Having spent 17+ years in new Hyundai/Kia cars, I had zero reliability issues. YMMV but I actually was disappointed with the QC on my Civic versus the Korean built cars I've owned/driven. With ex-BMW M Division guru Albert Biermann is charge you know the handling on that GT will be good. And me personally, I prefer the more traditional look of the GT hatch. The car is known as the i30 in Europe.
Well yeah, I had to replace my condenser out of pocket, $1000. My gas mileage has declined 2-3 mpg avg, and I've had issues I'd expect on a VW - dash shutting off while driving, rolling while parked in gear, parking brake not engaging, shock failed etc. Still love the car but I don't consider it Honda-like in reliability.

I actually love the long trunk in the Civic hatch - much easier being able to lay out my work stuff instead of stacking it. The tall short trunk eliminated the GTI from consideration. The Elantra seems more in-between.

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
Those Elantra GT's are darn good vehicles. I think the only marginal complaint is how the transmission shifts. I would say DO IT!!
I just hope the N/A market sticks around for a bit longer. I would like to get back into a multi-port injection small four and have less worries. Best wishes!!

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
I've also heard good things about the GT N-line. It's a shame people still have a stigma over Hyundai/Kia. They make decent vehicles now and even better than Japanese competitors in some aspects, and they're often times insanely cheap for what you get. If you like the way the car drives and feels, go for it.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Plus they now come with 3 years of free maintenance on top of the 10 year warranty.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I mean if you read consumer reviews for both and even recent ones, they aren't that good.

OP
OP
VarmintCong

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Reading a few reviews it seems the safety features on the Elantra GT N-Line require the Tech package, which includes moonroof, nav, upgraded stereo etc. Since I don't want a nav or moonroof and it pushes it up another $3k, it's a bit of a negative.

But knowing Hyundai they'll probably make the safety features standard next year. And the i30N looks amazing, any hope we'll get that here?

shabadoo25

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic EX-L
Country flag
My family has owned multiple recent highly rated Hyundais and I still don't feel they have the quality of Hondas.

There is something about an average Hyundai that makes it feel "worn out" and "used up" after a relatively short period of time. There is too much corner cutting and cheap materials used as a trade off for having cutting edge infotainment and other sought after consumer features.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Getting better gas mileage is what i would consider in a new car. Getting 50 miles less per tankful would be a no go for me since most of my miles are highway.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
All I ever read about those 10 year warranties is that they will try to get out of them any way they can. Such as if you do one oil change outside the dealership they will void your warranty because you can't prove the oil was changed on time. Kept me away from Hyundai when I was thinking about a Genesis 2.0T back in the day.

OP
OP
VarmintCong

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
All I ever read about those 10 year warranties is that they will try to get out of them any way they can. Such as if you do one oil change outside the dealership they will void your warranty because you can't prove the oil was changed on time. Kept me away from Hyundai when I was thinking about a Genesis 2.0T back in the day.
Hmm, and Honda got out of paying for my faulty condenser cause my car has a hatchback instead of a trunk. I don't see the difference.

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've not researched the Elantra N line because the car that's going to replace my Sport Hatch is the Veloster N.

OP
OP
VarmintCong

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I've not researched the Elantra N line because the car that's going to replace my Sport Hatch is the Veloster N.
Bastard, lol.

I'd buy the 5 door i30N, can't really do the Veloster.

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Getting better gas mileage is what i would consider in a new car. Getting 50 miles less per tankful would be a no go for me since most of my miles are highway.
Elantra has a bigger fuel tank and more highway range than Civic.
Sponsored