Tubabill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Accord ex V6 coupe
Country flag
It may be a silly question as they aren't really similar cars, but these are the 2 cars I'm considering for my next car to buy new within the next year. I wanted a sporty hatchback/sportback - something that is relatively quick, looks good, and with the hatch to load my music gear into more easily. I haven't driven the Civic, but I've driven the Stinger twice. It's a nice car and pretty quick. The major differences being, the Stinger has more hp, is bigger, and more expensive. I do like the Stingers 4 tailpipes vs. the Civic's 2. Any thoughts?
Sponsored

Naruske

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Edit...

COmpletely missed the title LOL

But Get the Hatch touring!! With a few mods/tuning you will be as fast as the 2.0L Stinger!

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
It's gonna take more than just a few mods for a Civic Sport Touring to be as fast as a Stinger.

Jes_si562

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si. 1990 Honda civic w d16z6 swap (sold) 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback sport(wifes)
Country flag
It's gonna take more than just a few mods for a Civic Sport Touring to be as fast as a Stinger.

He's talking about the 2.0 not the v6

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
8 speed auto vs. CVT. That could sway me toward the Stinger over the Sport Touring.

OP
OP
Tubabill

Tubabill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Accord ex V6 coupe
Country flag
Thanks for the responses. You don't see many of either car on the road where I live in the Austin area. I currently own a 2006 Accord coupe V6, auto trans. I bought it new when I lived in NY and it now has 160,000 miles on it. It still runs great. It could be faster than either the Stinger or the Sport Touring. I'm just getting ready for something new and with a hatch.

aighead

Threads
Reaction score
Website
snortcoffee.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 1988 Ford f250, 2004 Honda vtx1300
Country flag
I think the Stinger is beautiful but I don't know that I'll ever not be a little concerned about the Kia brand, not to mention their first go at a sport sedan. It does look slick as can be.

OP
OP
Tubabill

Tubabill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Accord ex V6 coupe
Country flag
I think the Stinger is beautiful but I don't know that I'll ever not be a little concerned about the Kia brand, not to mention their first go at a sport sedan. It does look slick as can be.

OP
OP
Tubabill

Tubabill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Accord ex V6 coupe
Country flag
I know. That's a concern of mine too. Hondas are proven and reliable. I've had 2 Civics and 2 Accords and nothing went wrong with any of them - just basic maintenance. If they made an Accord in a hatch or sport back, that's what i would get.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Kia stinger also offers a traditional auto over the Civic's CVT if that makes a difference to you. It's also a little bigger than than the Civic. I'd say stinger since they're incredibly good value and look awesome as well. Side note, you can get a V6 turbo for $30k new where I live which is just a little more than sport touring, just a thought. Prices will probably vary depending on where you live though.

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I know. That's a concern of mine too. Hondas are proven and reliable. I've had 2 Civics and 2 Accords and nothing went wrong with any of them - just basic maintenance. If they made an Accord in a hatch or sport back, that's what i would get.
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Hatchback Sport Touring vs. Stinger 2.0 T Honda-Crosstour-2013-1

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
Car and driver got a 6.1 sec 0-60 with the AWD and a 6.0sec flat with RWD, which is just .2 sec off the best time they got with the Si. So suffice to say, with just a tune, the Civic Touring should hang pretty good with a stock 2.0T Stinger.

OP
OP
Tubabill

Tubabill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Accord ex V6 coupe
Country flag
Car and driver got a 6.1 sec 0-60 with the AWD and a 6.0sec flat with RWD, which is just .2 sec off the best time they got with the Si. So suffice to say, with just a tune, the Civic Touring should hang pretty good with a stock 2.0T Stinger.

OP
OP
Tubabill

Tubabill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Accord ex V6 coupe
Country flag
OK, guys. You're talking to an aging musician / music teacher. I like cars and used to do basic maintenance on my earlier vehicles (67 Dodge Dart), but there's a few things here I need clarified, if you would.

First, I don't know what CVT is. I know what it stands for, but how is it different in performance from a regular auto transmission?

Second, by tuning the Civic somehow, it can be close to as fast as a Stinger 2.0? What kind of tuning is involved? I'm buying new and would it void any warranty?

Also as a sidenote, i might look funny in the Civic. It definitely has the cool look for a younger person than myself. The Stinger might be more of a general sports car for any age driver??

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R & 2020 Ridgeline BE
Country flag
OK, guys. You're talking to an aging musician / music teacher. I like cars and used to do basic maintenance on my earlier vehicles (67 Dodge Dart), but there's a few things here I need clarified, if you would.

First, I don't know what CVT is. I know what it stands for, but how is it different in performance from a regular auto transmission?
Cvt uses cones and a belt to change ratios as opposed to a set of static size gears. It's generally smoother than a conventional auto but they are weaker. Tuning would likely decrease the life of the cvt, though you can tune in some torque limits to help.
Tubabill said:
Second, by tuning the Civic somehow, it can be close to as fast as a Stinger 2.0? What kind of tuning is involved? I'm buying new and would it void any warranty?
Yes, (assuming you have a 1.5t engine) tuning can bring you close or better but it will be rough on the cvt. The most popular tuning platforms currently are ktuner and hondata flashpro. Both are OBD2 units that plug in to flash and then can be removed though additional (monitoring) functionality requires the unit to remain plugged in. There are piggy backs platforms as well but don't worry about those for now. If you tune, consider your warranty void.
Tubabill said:
Also as a sidenote, i might look funny in the Civic. It definitely has the cool look for a younger person than myself. The Stinger might be more of a general sports car for any age driver??
I have a type r and I'm 40 so I already look like a child, though, it doesn't matter because I love driving it. I wouldn't worry about how you look in the car but rather make sure it's the car you like to drive most. In these choices, I'd probably look at the stinger and leave it stock to keep the warranty intact as you might need it.
Sponsored

Last edited: