baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
If you have children around 10 years old and are going to be getting a hatchback, then you might want to check the VIN, as the new side curtain airbags went into "Civics built after 25th Sept 2017, from SHHFK6**0HU014114 and SHHFK7**0HU011421"
https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/honda/civic/29192
Sponsored

Empyrean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Seriously, my 18' was built on the 17th... why wouldn't they just do the upgrade when they switched to 18's

choo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Hatch Sport 6MT , 1995 240sx
Country flag
^Aw man just missed it.

I was thinking, great mine was built in October! But oh yeah it was October 2016 :(

OP
OP
baldheadracing

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Keep in mind that the change was only for children (rear seat). As for when the upgrade was done, the original assessment (4*) was published in July 2017, and the upgraded design was in production in September - which is pretty fast. Claiming a Euro NCAP 5* safety rating is a powerful marketing tool in the EU ... although if safety ratings for rear-seat-sitting children was a purchasing consideration, then folks would be buying Impreza hatchbacks, not CivicX hatchbacks. (The CivicX hatchback does very well for front seat adult passengers, although not as well as the Impreza.)

July assessment, a 67% rating for children, rated "poor" for lateral protection (side impact) for children in the rear seat, bold mine https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/honda/civic/27441:
In the frontal offset test, dummy readings of neck tensions indicated marginal protection for both the 6 and the 10 year dummy. In the 10 year dummy, chest deceleration also indicated weak protection of this part of the chest. In the side barrier test, the head of the 10 year dummy (on the impacted side) 'bottomed out' the curtain airbag and a hard contact was recorded. This hard contact and the head injury values it generated indicated poor head protection. The front passenger airbag can be disabled to allow a rearward-facing child restraint to be used in that seating position. Clear information is provided to the driver regarding the status of the airbag and the system was rewarded. Nevertheless, universal restraints failed the installation test on the front passenger seat owing to the position of the buckle. Otherwise, all restraint types for which the Civic is designed could be installed and accommodated in the car.
September re-assessment, a 75% for children, rated "marginal" for lateral protection ...
In the frontal offset test, dummy readings of neck tensions indicated marginal protection for both the 6 and the 10 year dummy. In the 10 year dummy, chest deceleration also indicated weak protection of this part of the chest. In the side barrier test, dummy injury values for the head of the 10 year dummy were reduced compared to the previous assessment (see General comments) but protection was still rated as weak. The front passenger airbag can be disabled to allow a rearward-facing child restraint to be used in that seating position. Clear information is provided to the driver regarding the status of the airbag and the system was rewarded. Since the Civic was last assessed, Honda has modified the position of the front passenger seatbelt buckle. Now, all restraint types for which the Civic is designed could be installed and accommodated in the car.

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'll be honest I never look at Safety, Fuel Economy when buying.

I don't even know how many air bags my baby has, guessing at least four.

Empyrean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Wait real question where do I find the build date on the car? I found in the door but it looks like it says 9/'17 the month and year not the date.
Sponsored