Dimitron84

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI
Country flag
Found the video right after my post so basically CAI is best and SRI are all pretty close to the stock box, however CAI is not recommended near a lot of water, is that due to amount of water moisture in air or due to rain? I live in Ohio and it constantly rains here. Also he mentions HP gains are really only mentionable above 5k rpm and gains are 3-6HP so minimal. However don’t our engines start to drop off HP around 5.5K? So this is initially just showing an improvement above 5k because it’s above the peak ideal power band of these engines? And red like is 6.5K so you get an additional 3HP for just a split second before you shift, not sure if money is well spent on an CAI besides the gain of sound? Let me know your thoughts?
Sponsored

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Found the video right after my post so basically CAI is best and SRI are all pretty close to the stock box, however CAI is not recommended near a lot of water, is that due to amount of water moisture in air or due to rain? I live in Ohio and it constantly rains here. Also he mentions HP gains are really only mentionable above 5k rpm and gains are 3-6HP so minimal. However don’t our engines start to drop off HP around 5.5K? So this is initially just showing an improvement above 5k because it’s above the peak ideal power band of these engines? And red like is 6.5K so you get an additional 3HP for just a split second before you shift, not sure if money is well spent on an CAI besides the gain of sound? Let me know your thoughts?
This thread is also worth looking at. PRL has delivered best results of those tested. https://www.civicx.com/threads/hondata-tests-prl-intake-performance-gains.21131/

I’ve been all over trying to decide on an intake myself. Hydro lock would occur if you were in deep enough water to submerge the intake and suck water into the engine. Unlikely, especially if you are cognizant of your surroundings, but best case you bog your engine and have to pump the water out (if running very slow speed) worst case you blow your engine. So potentially catastrophic. From all I can tell, a very unlikely scenario and with the PRL (presumably others too) intake is still fairly high (fog light level) on a stock height car, so pretty deep water. Others have much more experience than me, but I’ve been all over the boards at least trying to make up my own mind.

OP
OP
Dimitron84

Dimitron84

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI
Country flag
This thread is also worth looking at. PRL has delivered best results of those tested. https://www.civicx.com/threads/hondata-tests-prl-intake-performance-gains.21131/

I’ve been all over trying to decide on an intake myself. Hydro lock would occur if you were in deep enough water to submerge the intake and suck water into the engine. Unlikely, especially if you are cognizant of your surroundings, but best case you bog your engine and have to pump the water out (if running very slow speed) worst case you blow your engine. So potentially catastrophic. From all I can tell, a very unlikely scenario and with the PRL (presumably others too) intake is still fairly high (fog light level) on a stock height car, so pretty deep water. Others have much more experience than me, but I’ve been all over the boards at least trying to make up my own mind.
Ya that’s kind of where I’m nervous, risking sucking up any water with CAI, similarity with a SRI it’s not really cold air but more engine bay air, that’s why I was thinking Mishimoto, similar factory box, no chance of water getting in and still good amount of sound over factory.

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ya that’s kind of where I’m nervous, risking sucking up any water with CAI, similarity with a SRI it’s not really cold air but more engine bay air, that’s why I was thinking Mishimoto, similar factory box, no chance of water getting in and still good amount of sound over factory.
If you decide on Mishimoto, I think MAPerformance has the best price. With the extra 5% code the price comes in very close to the Mishimoto pre-sale pricing. Their customer service is also very good. https://www.maperformance.com/colle...-air-intake-2017-honda-civic-si-mmai-civ-17si

ES EF ED

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L , 2011 CTS-V
Country flag
Not knocking prl’s Filter but I once went with a k&n knock off product called S&B and the filter went rock hard after about 6 months.

Then I bought a Green Filter for another vehicle and the filtering media separated from the rubber surround.

I didn’t want to risk a low quality filter
This is also why won't get a green filter again , exact same thing happened to me on a different car (cts v) and multiple other members that used this filter in a airaid Intake .

OP
OP
Dimitron84

Dimitron84

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI
Country flag

CIVICSPORT

Doctor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Awesome great link, however what is the 5 percent code? I didn’t see it.
Don’t buy that shit. Dyno proven zero gains

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I found it here for about $254 shipped with code "SAVE20": https://www.procivic.com/p/ym/2017/civic/mishimoto-air-intake.html
Doesn’t look like they have the Si intake listed though, am I wrong. The base intake won’t work for Si. Make sure you order Si specific. MAF housing is different.

I’m not telling you what brand or where to buy, btw that is up to you, just trying to help you find the best price and right product for your car.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
The bottom line is for the most part, SRI is nothing but sound. Sometimes you even lose some low end power. And don't get me started with heat soak.

A CAI is a better choice but the real gains will be modest and they are quieter than SRI's. The issue is hydrolock.

On our turbo platform, if you're looking for real gains and not worried about sound, a tune is the only way to go. It's simple and the gains are big.

OP
OP
Dimitron84

Dimitron84

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI
Country flag
The bottom line is for the most part, SRI is nothing but sound. Sometimes you even lose some low end power. And don't get me started with heat soak.

A CAI is a better choice but the real gains will be modest and they are quieter than SRI's. The issue is hydrolock.

On our turbo platform, if you're looking for real gains and not worried about sound, a tune is the only way to go. It's simple and the gains are big.
Not too worried about gaining HP this is my daily driver that I travel 100 miles per day with, higher HP and boost just means more wear and tear. Looking for better airflow and possibly mpg gains, bought Civic SI so it would be fun to drive but still get great mpg on highway. CAI im worried about hydrolock lots of rain and flooding in my part of the state. SRI I’m worried about heat soak which is why I was thinking Mishimoto aftermarket enclosed boxes with cone filter. Which should get me better flow and sound and most likely better mpg with improved airflow due to less restriction. So if I can’t do CAI or tune what’s your next best recommendation? I seen K&n typhoon includes a piece of rubber to prevent engine temp getting into intake, thoughts on design?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly, if you want reliability and maybe some small MPG gains just go with a drop in. I recommended the aFe Pro Dry S. I get a little better throttle response with it and a 1-2 mpg gain. And no worries about the MAF and oil.

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honestly, if you want reliability and maybe some small MPG gains just go with a drop in. I recommended the aFe Pro Dry S. I get a little better throttle response with it and a 1-2 mpg gain. And no worries about the MAF and oil.
This is the most sensible advice, maybe a silicone induction hose if you want some engine dress up. I understand wanting to do a bit more though.

OP
OP
Dimitron84

Dimitron84

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI
Country flag
This is the most sensible advice, maybe a silicone induction hose if you want some engine dress up. I understand wanting to do a bit more though.
I’m kinda looking for sound though, I’d love to hear some of the Recirc valve but don’t want to do BOV due to fouling of catalytic converter of unburnt fuel. What about the K&N typhoon 69-1504TR I see they only list it for 2017 SI, why not 2018? Also anyone install this and have any feedback?
Sponsored