Civic 1.5t (not Si ) - safe sustained RPM?

alias Igme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa Romeo 156, Honda Civic (1.5t hatchback)
Country flag
Good morning.

I'm not sure if this is the correct section for this question, but (admins) please feel free to move if necessary.

I recently finished my 1000 km break-in period and tried to drive my 1.5t Civic hatchback around the speed I normally drive my previous car on the way from work (there are sections that is safe to run 160kph and occasionally, 180kph). Unfortunately, I seem to be getting stuck at 170kph with the Civic - not the car's fault since I find myself easing up on the pedal when I see it climbing to 5k rpm.

Anyone knows what is the top rpm i can push/sustain the 1.5t without stressing the engine too much? Also, is a faint smell of oil normal at 4k-5k rpm?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Adil

First Name
Adil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5t
Country flag
Hi, is it a CVT? If so, once you reach your speed and slightly lift off throttle the revs will drop and speed will remain same.
I have 62000Km on my 1.5t and have driven daily over 160km and all is well. The engine feels very strong. I rem when car was new i also got an oil/sulpher smell, went away.

OP
OP

alias Igme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hi, is it a CVT? If so, once you reach your speed and slightly lift off throttle the revs will drop and speed will remain same.
I have 62000Km on my 1.5t and have driven daily over 160km and all is well. The engine feels very strong. I rem when car was new i also got an oil/sulpher smell, went away.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, it is a CVT - it does pick up really well up to 160kph.
Do you think it is safe to sustain upto 180kph?

Adil

First Name
Adil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5t
Country flag
To be honest the car seems very happy to maintain that speeds. I am sure the engine could do allot more than that still. How safe it is?, that's another topic.
I stand corrected, but its stop start driving, extremes of temperatures and erratic driving that causes more harm to engines than sustained RPM.

OP
OP

alias Igme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
To be honest the car seems very happy to maintain that speeds. I am sure the engine could do allot more than that still. How safe it is?, that's another topic.
I stand corrected, but its stop start driving, extremes of temperatures and erratic driving that causes more harm to engines than sustained RPM.
Thanks for the response. would love to hear more input/experience with the 1.5t :)
Sponsored