Cheaper CTR updates

jdogcarroll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic coupe ex-t lunar silver
Has anyone seen or heard any new information on a cheaper CTR model? They talked about it back in OCT 2017 and I was curious to see if they have released any new information on it.
Sponsored

Matthyahuw

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Agean Blue Civic Si Sedan 2016 Omaha Orange Jeep Renegade Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I read an older article a while ago that Honda said they MAY introduce a model in-between the Si & the CTR if the market wanted it.

We didn't get a de-tuned Type-R 2.0L engine as it would have made the Si ~$30K.

I don't think the market is looking for that IMO, and if they are, it would take YEARS for Honda to introduce one...they're VERY conservative in things like that. Just look at their first SUV, it was a rebadged Isuzu as they didn't want to rush into the market.

HondaReese23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 and EM1
not necessarily a detuned CTR but a CTR that does not have all the TOURING options like ours does. Same motor with same HP but with lesser options.
I've "heard" that too a long while back but not so sure it will happen.

18CarEnthusiast18

First Name
N/A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
I heard last week from a sales guy that was encouraging me to wait that they are in the process of a Type R with less options and a Type R with more options. He didn't give much details as to what he was saying or prices, but told me I would be pissed if I bought now even if I find one at MSRP as there are better options in the works. So take that for what it is worth to the subject.

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
This literally comes up once a week, and every answer is pure speculation.

I've only seen one answer that showed a new variation on the VIN, but there was no explanation for the variance.

23Red

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 FK8, '06 AP2
Country flag
Funny thing is isn't the US-spec CTR already sort of bare bones? With all the blank spots in the dash what else can you take away lol

I heard last week from a sales guy that was encouraging me to wait that they are in the process of a Type R with less options and a Type R with more options. He didn't give much details as to what he was saying or prices, but told me I would be pissed if I bought now even if I find one at MSRP as there are better options in the works. So take that for what it is worth to the subject.
If you go by his logic then you'll always be waiting.

jefxfree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R, EK hatch
Country flag
Funny thing is isn't the US-spec CTR already sort of bare bones? With all the blank spots in the dash what else can you take away lol

I was just going to post this. There's literally nothing they can take off the car. Unless you're getting a CD player and cloth seats. Maybe cheap rims.

But none of that is going to move the price down to $20k.

TheShadow

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 FK8 Type R #00561, 2012 Civic Si, 2000 Civic CX Hatchback
Country flag
I don't want it to happen either - I wanted the CTR to be a step apart from the average civic si. I feel like it would be rude to the Type R to offer a neutered version. And as someone mentioned earlier, in the US we kind of already got the bare bones of extra options with the touring, rather than the GT.

toddrhodes

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR #16979, '18 Odyssey
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

That's my thought too. I've got a deposit on an ABM CTR with some, but minimal markup and no required accessories. If they release an AWD model (for example - not saying they are or ever will, I think they'll leave that to Acura) the next day, I won't bat an eye. I bought the one I want with the features, color, and drivetrain I was hoping for. My only hope is that if any new variants come out, that they don't dillute the Type R brand. And frankly, I wouldn't want a more tame CTR, and I'm not in the market for a stripper model with all emphasis on all-out performance. The current car is exactly what I've wanted.

PwrOfDreams

It ain't a Type R then it ain't a tight car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Other
Country flag

That is true. I feel the US spec CTR is already bare bones too. They don’t even come with the side plastic pieces in the engine bay that covers the fenders. US spec import cars always seem to be bare bones compared to their native country or other foreign counterparts. Another example is the US spec ITR that didn’t come with Recaro seats like it’s Japanese spec brother.
Sponsored