changing the color of the shark fin antenna

FifStreet

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 PMM Civic Type R '07 MR Fit Sport (RIP)
Country flag
Hello. I need some help. I own a PMM CTR and I want to change the color of the shark fin antenna to red. There seems to be 4 options for doing this. I need some help deciding what is the best method.

1. Paint - Fairly straight forward, the only downside is its permanent

2. Buy a replacement - I looked around and wasn't thrilled with the options. Lots of "universal" ones. Plus I think to remove it you need to pull down the headliner?

3. Wrap - The level of difficulty to wrap such a weird object is high. Plus it is recommended that you remove it from the car. See #2.

4. Plasti-dip - I tried this over the weekend and was not happy with the result. It tore where I had the roof masked off, and the coating was uneven and I had a run in it.

Does anybody have any experience with this? At this point I'm thinking I just keep trying the plasti-dip method over until I get it right.
Sponsored

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
No personal experience, but I would probably end up seeing what a replacement fin cost from the dealer in the color you want. If it's too high, then definitely painting would be the next best step using quality prep and products though. I feel that the plasti-dip won't hold up too well long-term anyways, but who knows.

Edit- here's the link to a Rallye Red fin: https://www.hondapartsnetwork.com/o...meT0yMDE5JnQ9c3BvcnQtdG91cmluZyZlPXZhcmlhYmxl

tylermmorton

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R #1362
Country flag
I had my car wrapped at a shop here in Orlando. He didn't mention having any difficulty with the antenna. Find a reputable wrapper that knows what they're doing and they can probably have it done in 3 hours (disassembly, wrap and re-assembly.) Might cost you $100 tops.

Otherwise, PlastiDip is the easiest. Mask the area, prep with the proper cleaning solutions, spray multiple, light coats from a distance. If you were seeing dripping you probably put too much on.