Changing steering

First Name
Correy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
This is my first car with electric power steering. I just bought a 2016 Civic EX-T in January, and it's been a nightmare ever since. I've had to have a software update on the steering, and a new EPS rack (and a new AC compressor). So, I'm not sure what's normal and not when it comes to the steering on this car.

I've read the steering feel does change with a EPS, like turning is very easy with parking maneuvers. With mine, some days the car starts out with really loose steering, then it's stiff by the end of the day, or it goes back and forth between really loose and stiff all day. Also throughout the day, it sometimes feels like one side will be harder to steer to than the other.

And even with the new rack, I still kind of feel like the car is wandering in the lane, but I know I'm hyper aware of the steering due to what I went through with the rack. Does anyone else's Civic feel like this?
Sponsored

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
Does the EX-T have the driver assist systems? Disable them and see if things change. My Touring can feel like that when it’s trying to do it’s Lane-keeping thing...

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
You shouldn't notice a huge difference between hydraulic and electric steering at a functional level. My steering feels pretty normal to me and doesn't "wander". The EPS changing its weight is true, but is something that should help you rather than being annoying. If you really want to know if somethings wrong, test drive another Civic and compare it to yours. If they feel the same, then you know nothings wrong.

OP
OP
Interdimensionalcoco
First Name
Correy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Does the EX-T have the driver assist systems? Disable them and see if things change. My Touring can feel like that when it’s trying to do it’s Lane-keeping thing...
Nope it doesn't have lane keeping assist. I have an appointment at the dealer for the 4th time to have it looked at :(

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
LOL! LKAS and I have the BEST arguments! It wants to be here, I want to be there...It’s like a tug of war! But even Lane Departure can do that. One day I pulled into a ‘Death Star trench’ on-ramp to a highway. The sun was low in front of me, and the light made what looked like a line going off to the right. And that’s where the car pulled the wheel. HARD. Had I not been on top of it, we would have smashed right into the wall...

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
I parted with my 1.5L Touring sedan, and for the 60k kms I had it, it drove dead straight. Never had the problems you've mentioned. Steering tension was even all throughout its life.

OP
OP
Interdimensionalcoco
First Name
Correy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
I parted with my 1.5L Touring sedan, and for the 60k kms I had it, it drove dead straight. Never had the problems you've mentioned. Steering tension was even all throughout its life.
I really don't know what's wrong with mine. Yesterday I had to drive it for an hour, and I was physically exhausted from driving it, and my husband got to witness my constant struggle with it. Took it to the dealer today, none of the issues that were happening yesterday showed up, and they of course couldn't find anything wrong. I'm hoping to part ways with it next year. It's a beautiful car, but I think I ended up with a lemon.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
Have you had any issues with the ABS or speedometer? If the EPS does 'adapt to conditions'; I'd think it would have to be speed and RPM related. Any aftermarket wheels, equipment, damage, etc?

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You misunderstand. Mine tracks and drives dead straight. It’s when I get close to a lane marking, or what I can see the camera may THINK is a lane marking, that the steering wheel tightens up and ‘suggests’ that you let the car go where it wants to.

Two things you need to do. Take the mechanic on a test drive down a road where it always fights you, then have him drive that route. Or take a test drive in a new one on that same route and see if the steering does the same.

wokeupgrumpy

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX 4DR, 2017 Subaru Forester, 2007 Malibu LT, 1998 S10 Blazer LT
Country flag
I really don't know what's wrong with mine. Yesterday I had to drive it for an hour, and I was physically exhausted from driving it, and my husband got to witness my constant struggle with it. Took it to the dealer today, none of the issues that were happening yesterday showed up, and they of course couldn't find anything wrong. I'm hoping to part ways with it next year. It's a beautiful car, but I think I ended up with a lemon.
My 2016 LX does the same thing but not all the time. I don't have the lane departure feature. From time to time at speeds of 65+ the steering becomes resistant to input and requires quite a bit of force. It's been happening since the car had around 50000 miles on it. I bought it brand new and absolutely love it EXCEPT for this.Go to CarComplaints.com and search for 2016 Civic steering issues.
Sponsored