Changed MTF to Amsoil Synchromesh, I am Happy!

whiteboyblackcivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Luckily a shop two miles from me is a licensed AMSOIL retailer, so I’ll set up an appointment. My notchiness is from 1-2 and 2-3. Already have a mishimoto weighted shift knob and acuitys cable shifter bushings installed. Car is a 2017 ext sedan with 32k miles. I’m hopeful that the synchromesh mtf will smooth things out.
Sponsored

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
wait a minite, you ised the amsoil synchromesh 5w30, correct?

not the amsoil 75w90 mtl?
Yes, that is correct. I used the Synchromesh 5W30. The 75w90 I believe is gear oil, it would work but could damage the synchros, or so I heard.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Luckily a shop two miles from me is a licensed AMSOIL retailer, so I’ll set up an appointment. My notchiness is from 1-2 and 2-3. Already have a mishimoto weighted shift knob and acuitys cable shifter bushings installed. Car is a 2017 ext sedan with 32k miles. I’m hopeful that the synchromesh mtf will smooth things out.
I am pretty sure it will. My transmission performs exactly how it should. Once in awhile I still get the slight notchy shift in 2nd and 4th, but not like before. I hear the weighted shift knob also helps

whiteboyblackcivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am pretty sure it will. My transmission performs exactly how it should. Once in awhile I still get the slight notchy shift in 2nd and 4th, but not like before. I hear the weighted shift knob also helps
That’s awesome! I hope it helps more than everything else I’ve done. Limited money and tools makes me hopeful that this will be a great bang for your buck upgrade.

Yes the weighted shift knob helped, but only slightly. Not as much as I wanted it to. However, it does look good imo
Honda Civic 10th gen Changed MTF to Amsoil Synchromesh, I am Happy! FD87047F-AD2C-4263-A00F-AB52967C5FF7

The clutch valve delete, PRL Motorsports stainless steel clutch line, AMSOIL synchromesh mtf and some Acuity products would probably be the best set up without upgrading the clutch or anything. With or without the weighted shift knob. Anyone wanna donate? Anything would be appreciated lmao :thumbsup:

Honda Civic 10th gen Changed MTF to Amsoil Synchromesh, I am Happy! AAF12E4F-D2A3-4599-8BCF-4B41412FCBEC

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That’s awesome! I hope it helps more than everything else I’ve done. Limited money and tools makes me hopeful that this will be a great bang for your buck upgrade.

Yes the weighted shift knob helped, but only slightly. Not as much as I wanted it to. However, it does look good imo
FD87047F-AD2C-4263-A00F-AB52967C5FF7.jpeg

The clutch valve delete, PRL Motorsports stainless steel clutch line, AMSOIL synchromesh mtf and some Acuity products would probably be the best set up without upgrading the clutch or anything. With or without the weighted shift knob. Anyone wanna donate? Anything would be appreciated lmao :thumbsup:

AAF12E4F-D2A3-4599-8BCF-4B41412FCBEC.jpeg
You will be happy with the trans after Amsoil and hit your self for not doing it sooner. Nice shifter btw!

b4gel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si sedan
Country flag
I've always been a fan of Red Line oils. Avoided Amsoil because of the multi-level marketing business model. But you guys are selling me on the stuff.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I've always been a fan of Redline oils. Avoided Amsoil because of the multi-level marketing business model. But you guys are selling me on the stuff.
I agree I hate MLM, but the product is excellent. I would not buy their synthetic oils as they are just way to expensive, but as far as Synchromesh you only need 2 quarts and if you buy it directly from the Amsoil website it's roughly $16 a quart which is a no brainer. You change it out every 50K, for me that is probably in 3 years. Basically with shipping it's about a $40 investment and the smoothness it brings to your shifting and transmission is worth it

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've always been a fan of Red Line oils. Avoided Amsoil because of the multi-level marketing business model. But you guys are selling me on the stuff.
I've got Redline in my Z. I'd used Amsoil but the Redline had a version that felt better (I tried 2 different ones). Amsoil is a consistent good performer on the Honda/Acuras. Redline may very well have a product that is as good if not better than the Amsoil for them... I just never tried it.

Zedaine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just changed to Amsoil Synchromesh MTF today. With ~8400 miles on my car I wasn't expecting too much of a difference. Changing it was easy with a breaker bar, funnel with long tube, and torque wrench. Figured since I went with Amsoil SS back when the car had ~2400 miles I should try this stuff out as well. Glad I did!

Wow! I have never felt such a difference in a car before just from changing gear oil. The shifter slips right into 1st gear even when slowing down to a stop. 1st to 2nd is just butter smooth now and the rest of the gears feel slightly better as well, but that change in downshifting to 1st and upshifting from 1st to 2nd is just unbelievable. Also the way it smoothly pops out of gears is a welcome improvement as well. Seriously, was not expecting such a change. Guess the hype on this amsoil mtf was well warranted. Hopefully it works better than the Honda stuff on a really cold morning. Hopefully this stuff lasts as long as every says it does. Guess only time will tell!

IMG_0196.JPG

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just changed to Amsoil Synchromesh MTF today. With ~8400 miles on my car I wasn't expecting too much of a difference. Changing it was easy with a breaker bar, funnel with long tube, and torque wrench. Figured since I went with Amsoil SS back when the car had ~2400 miles I should try this stuff out as well. Glad I did!

Wow! I have never felt such a difference in a car before just from changing gear oil. The shifter slips right into 1st gear even when slowing down to a stop. 1st to 2nd is just butter smooth now and the rest of the gears feel slightly better as well, but that change in downshifting to 1st and upshifting from 1st to 2nd is just unbelievable. Also the way it smoothly pops out of gears is a welcome improvement as well. Seriously, was not expecting such a change. Guess the hype on this amsoil mtf was well warranted. Hopefully it works better than the Honda stuff on a really cold morning. Hopefully this stuff lasts as long as every says it does. Guess only time will tell!

IMG_0196.JPG
Glad the Amsoil worked out for you. You will find your transmission to be a lot smoother as well. It is better than the OEM cold, but is at its best warmed up. I'll be happy if I can get at least 50k out of it

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
My 2018-SI is 16 months old and 16k miles. I think my shifting is good but I really don’t know better.
I will stay with the stock MTF for another 5K and then I will try Amsoil Synchromesh.

Question: Are Amsoil and Honda MTF miscible to each other? If someone is switching between the 2 fluids, is a flush with a cleaner required?

Last edited:
OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My 2018-SI is 16 months old and 16k miles. I think my shifting is good but I really don’t know better.
I will stay with the stock MTF for another 5K and then I will try Amsoil Synchromesh.

Question: Are Amsoil and Honda MTF miscible to each other? If someone is switching between the 2 fluids, is a flush with a cleaner required?
Amsoil Synchromesh is the replacement fluid for the OEM. You just drain the old fluid and replace it with Amsoil

natethegreat

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R / Ap1 S2000
Country flag

IMG_0196.JPG
You changed the transmission oil to Amsoil Syncromesh 5w30 ? I’ve yet to change mine and I’m at 20k on the OEM fluid. Gear clunkiness is still present, especially 1st to 2nd I have to wait approx 2 seconds till the RPM’s drop in order to upshift. It’s frustrating

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
I read more on Amsoil Synchromesh for our Civic.
Most members concurred that Amsoil is great for our 6MT. However, some members commented that Honda OE MTF is better in cold weather.

Last edited:

Zedaine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You changed the transmission oil to Amsoil Syncromesh 5w30 ? I’ve yet to change mine and I’m at 20k on the OEM fluid. Gear clunkiness is still present, especially 1st to 2nd I have to wait approx 2 seconds till the RPM’s drop in order to upshift. It’s frustrating
Yup, 2 quarts of this stuff: https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/transmission-fluid/manual/manual-synchromesh-transmission-fluid-5w-30/

Drove a bunch today and it's still a dream to shift. I'm loving this stuff! We'll have to wait and see if it does better than the Honda oil when winter comes around again. Although the coldest it gets here is around 10 Degrees F.

I typically shift from 1st to 2nd between 2k-3k RPM for normal driving, if I go over 3k and almost to 4k RPM and shift into 2nd I have to wait about 2 seconds for the rev hang to come down before I let out the clutch. So I would try shifting at a lower RPM than what you normally do and see if that helps, unless you are already shifting around 2k RPM.
Sponsored