Changed MTF to Amsoil Synchromesh, I am Happy!

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
Do you

it was OEM but I’m going to switch to the amsoil soon. Don’t think I need it too badly now that my issues were fixed by Acuity, but can’t hurt to make something good even better.

I was reading through the guide I saw here in the forums and it looks like I have to buy new washers from the dealer? Can you confirm?
If you are doing it yourself, you will need to purchase a crush washer for the drain plug. You would only need a second one (6mm) if you will also be opening up the overflow valve. Basically nobody uses the overflow, they just add 2 quarts in the top filler hole. A crush washer is a must as you could get fluid seeping out if you try and reuse the same crush washer. Good news is that they are like .50 cents each
Sponsored

whiteboyblackcivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Got the amsoil Synchromesh put it and an exhaust and resonator delete for $70. Very happy with the transmission now. The notchiness is still there, but no clunks or hard shifts anymore between 1-2 and 2-3. I also think it helps to drain the original oem fluid and get all the particles from the transmission working itself together in its first 34k miles. Overall I’m pleasantly surprised with the amsoil product and the exhaust and resonator delete.

newskate9

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Type-R, 16 Honda Pilot Elite
Country flag
Just a quick update. It took about a week of driving (around town) to really notice a difference. But, there IS a difference. This was a good thing to do. I'm not sure how to reconcile the AMS reco of 50K miles change(?) and the Honda OEM one and the fact that the oil costs more, labor cost, etc. I wouldn't want any warranty questions to arise by not having the oil changed on Honda's frequency no matter who the manufacturer is. I guess having the documentation is a starting point.

Sort of feels like buyer a new $1,000 hand gun and then driving around trying to save 50 cents on a box of ammunition! (yes, guilty as charged.............)

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just a quick update. It took about a week of driving (around town) to really notice a difference. But, there IS a difference. This was a good thing to do. I'm not sure how to reconcile the AMS reco of 50K miles change(?) and the Honda OEM one and the fact that the oil costs more, labor cost, etc. I wouldn't want any warranty questions to arise by not having the oil changed on Honda's frequency no matter who the manufacturer is. I guess having the documentation is a starting point.

Sort of feels like buyer a new $1,000 hand gun and then driving around trying to save 50 cents on a box of ammunition! (yes, guilty as charged.............)
Glad it is working out for you and it makes a noticeable difference. As long as you follow Amsoil's recommendation of changing between 50K and 150K (depending on driving conditions, etc.), you will not void your warranty. To be safe I will be sticking with 50K change intervals. For me that means 3 to 4 years. If you think about the cost, 2 quarts of Amsoil Synchromesh ($35) and labor ($20), that is a bargain

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yesterday I got a few questions and several PM's with questions about Amsoil Synchromesh MT fluid. For those with questions, please go thru this post, you will get a lot of helpful information and feedback from others that have changed out from the OEM

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Im running gm synchromesh (ac delco) with friction modifiers. previously had the ams sm. they feel the same.
Hey, if it works, your good!

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I think this post would be relevant again so I am bumping it back to the top!

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
how long are you guys planning to run it before changing? I'm around 23K on the fluid right now and thinking about doing another change at 25k, what yall think?

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
how long are you guys planning to run it before changing? I'm around 23K on the fluid right now and thinking about doing another change at 25k, what yall think?
I'm going to wait for 50k unless I feel a degradation in transmission performance

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
Ok, I just did this today... at first I was just meh....not much different from fresh Honda MTF.... I haven’t had the chance to do some aggressive driving yet so judgement is pending. I did notice a very much smoother engagement into reverse so that is a plus. I changed the OEM fill at 25k kms now at 48k kms . I’ll give it a bit, but knowing that I have superior protection is piece of mind. May jump on the GM syncromesh bandwagon... very excellent results with it on past civics... including a 9000rpm screamer.

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
My previous car was an automatic (MB-CLK350). There were 2 kinds of ATF changes: partial flush and full flush. Partial flush would involve changing the ATF only in the pan and it took 3-4 litres. Full flush was a lot of work and took 10 litres,

How about manual transmission? Only 2 quarts (1.9 litre)?

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My previous car was an automatic (MB-CLK350). There were 2 kinds of ATF changes: partial flush and full flush. Partial flush would involve changing the ATF only in the pan and it took 3-4 litres. Full flush was a lot of work and took 10 litres,

How about manual transmission? Only 2 quarts (1.9 litre)?
Correct. 2 quarts out, 2 quarts in. No flush needed

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
So a little back story... I purchased the Amsoil from a local dealer, very nice chap, really likes to talk. Anyway, grabbed 4 quarts, $91.53 taxes in (CAD) as he ordered a case in. I think he normally stocks it, or may in the future. Went to Jiffy Lube that I’ve had great experience in the past. It was their first Si trans fluid change, they have done a lot of oil changes on Xgen Honda’s. Anyway, they had a bitch of a time removing the fill plug up top. F-ing Honda techs! Needed a pipe on the ratchet to get it loose. So they drain out 1.6L on a 1.9L capacity...not the first time a Honda dealer underfilled on me! So they put the Amsoil in and just before everything is buttoned up, the service advisor noticed 300ml on fluid left in one of the bottles. I told him it needs both bottles, factory spec is 1.9L. So I tell them to put it all in...they argued a bit about only putting what came out back in... I told them to check the inspection plug... low and behold, no fluid came out. Anyway they ended up needing all of it and I told them to trust the specs, not what they pull out. No harm no foul, I’m glad I had the knowledge of this forum behind me.

Ok, second day impressions on a cold start situation. Way better than Honda MTF. Drove around for a bit warming the car up, shifts were excellent. Once warmed up I did a couple of 1 through 4th pulls, better than the Honda fluid but not a holy f@@k difference...but better is better. Going into reverse is the biggest change, just plops in no fuss no muss... so thus far a recommend from me, we’ll see how long it lasts.
Sponsored