Changed MTF to Amsoil Synchromesh, I am Happy!

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
For the last few months I have been having sort of sluggish performance and very notchy shifting, especially between gears 1-2 and 3-4. No grinding, no lockouts, nothing like that, just sort of a slight hesitation taking off and between shifts. I feel lately that the transmission has not been very smooth. After doing a lot of research and asking several members in this forum, a lot of people recommended changing out the OEM fluid for Amsoil Synchromesh. I purchased 2 quarts ($16 each) and replacement crush washers and took it to my mechanic who changed it out for $20, and damn, I am glad I did it!

My shifts are now buttery smooth, all gears, and the transmission is very smooth and responsive. I didn't feel and joltiness in any of the gears like before. The second and fourth gear notchiness is still there, but much less than before. I was so impressed by the performance increase and smoothness, as I was driving back to work after picking my the car from the mechanic I took a bit of a detour.

I would more than recommend to everyone who feels that they are experiencing transmission sluggishness and who have not changed out their MT fluid to get it done, and I would highly recommend Amsoil Synchromesh. Hopefully this fluid will keep the transmission smooth until my next change in 30K. We will see...

EDIT

Bumped this post backup as I think it is relevant due to all the new people who recently joined this forum
Sponsored

Last edited:

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
Can I ask how many miles were on the Honda fluid? I know from past experience that the Honda oil needs to be changed out every 30k kms (19k miles) to maintain the buttery smoothness.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Can I ask how many miles were on the Honda fluid? I know from past experience that the Honda oil needs to be changed out every 30k kms (19k miles) to maintain the buttery smoothness.
9500 miles. The transmission has never been this smooth, it's like a night and day difference

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
Thanks, I’m currently having zero issues but great to know for the future. 24k kms right now so I’ll be changing out this spring or summer.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks, I’m currently having zero issues but great to know for the future. 24k kms right now so I’ll be changing out this spring or summer.
Hopefully the Amsoil will last 30K. Although it is much more expensive as compared to Honda MTF ($16 a quart vs $6 a quart on Amazon), if it lasts 30K it is definitely worth the extra cost, as the performance and smoothness of my transmission makes me want to go out and drive right now! I would say it is worth trying, people can go back to OEM if they are not happy

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
Where do we get this Amsoil MTF in Canada?

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I bought it online. I am sure you can purchase it online as well in Canada

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
I’m going to check CTC. They do have Royal Purple Syncromesh on their regular product line and the sell Amsoil 2stroke lube...little known fact is that they can get almost any aftermarket item, you just have to inquire.

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
Sorry...CTC is Canadian Tire if you didn’t know.

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Neps18Si

First Name
P-Low
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan (sold), 2019 Civic Sport Hatch CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That's good to know because i was planning on changing the fluid as well now that i am Amsoil 0W20 for the engine. Keeping my cars mechanics well lubricated with Amsoil.
For the haters think of me as DeCaprio in the "Wolf of Wall Street" on the yacht throwing that dinero at Amsoil .:nixon::dance:

RobXsi

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nata
Country flag
For the last few months I have been having sort of sluggish performance and very notchy shifting, especially between gears 1-2 and 3-4. No grinding, no lockouts, nothing like that, just sort of a slight hesitation taking off and between shifts. I feel lately that the transmission has not been very smooth. After doing a lot of research and asking several members in this forum, a lot of people recommended changing out the OEM fluid for Amsoil Synchromesh. I purchased 2 quarts ($16 each) and replacement crush washers and took it to my mechanic who changed it out for $20, and damn, I am glad I did it!

My shifts are now buttery smooth, all gears, and the transmission is very smooth and responsive. I didn't feel and joltiness in any of the gears like before. The second and fourth gear notchiness is still there, but much less than before. I was so impressed by the performance increase and smoothness, as I was driving back to work after picking my the car from the mechanic I took a bit of a detour.

I would more than recommend to everyone who feels that they are experiencing transmission sluggishness and who have not changed out their MT fluid to get it done, and I would highly recommend Amsoil Synchromesh. Hopefully this fluid will keep the transmission smooth until my next change in 30K. We will see...

I also went switch to Amsoil MTF and noticed a difference immediately. Then on top of that i added a Skunk2 shift knob x2 the weight of oem. With the skunk2 and amsoil i am so pleased about the tranny now. At first wasnt too satisfied with the clunky gears.

RobXsi

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nata
Country flag
Hopefully the Amsoil will last 30K. Although it is much more expensive as compared to Honda MTF ($16 a quart vs $6 a quart on Amazon), if it lasts 30K it is definitely worth the extra cost, as the performance and smoothness of my transmission makes me want to go out and drive right now! I would say it is worth trying, people can go back to OEM if they are not happy
Amsoils website offers a 20$ a year or 10$ for 6 months to get a exclusive purchase account. When i buy through them now, i save significant amount compared to buying from a dealer or online else where. I buy engine oil, tranny oil, and radiator fluid from them.

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
Amsoil MTF for the win! it really does do an amazing difference compared to Honda fluid. I'm at 12K on the Amsoil MTF now and it shifts like butter (especially at cooler temps here in STX).
Sponsored