Change my own oil or go into dealership?

bakingpancake

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic si 2018
Country flag
I still have 15k miles on my car so I'm not sure if I should continue to go into the dealership for maintenance or do it my self. Not sure if doing my own maintenance could or will void my warranty. Also, I'm on TSP stage 1 so I will flashback to the factory before coming in.
Sponsored

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Unless they are doing it for free, do it yourself. Just keep documentation/receipts for the oil/filter along w/ date/mileage when changed and they can't deny you warranty coverage. I avoid letting others (especially the type of person tasked w/ oil changes) touch my car as much as possible.

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport FK7, 2010 VW GTI MKVI
Country flag
Do it yourself. The only time I will have the dealer do it, is if I’m already there for something else anyway.

ne0guri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Orchid Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I can’t believe I spent the last 20 years having someone do my oil change. Seriously easy to do on your own.

i also actually purchased one of those Fumoto valves that lets you drain the oil with the flip of a lever rather than breaking any plugs.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
You probably don't want the type of people the dealers hire to do oil changes touch your car.
There you have it -- The definitive reason why your should not consider letting the Dealers do this type of work -- 100% agree

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
I can’t believe I spent the last 20 years having someone do my oil change. Seriously easy to do on your own.

i also actually purchased one of those Fumoto valves that lets you drain the oil with the flip of a lever rather than breaking any plugs.

I used to have valvomax drain valve for my old corolla. I couldn't find the same for 2019 Honda Civic Si ( need to know the size to order it). I don't like the way fumoto valves operate and valvomax is better and reliable in every way

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
If you have the tools and a place to do it yourself, then do it yourself. Nobody is going to treat your car with more respect than you. Changing your oil is very easy, plus it’s actually a little enjoyable. I like maintaining my vehicles because at least I know it will be done right.

OP
OP
bakingpancake

bakingpancake

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic si 2018
Country flag
If you have the tools and a place to do it yourself, then do it yourself. Nobody is going to treat your car with more respect than you. Changing your oil is very easy, plus it’s actually a little enjoyable. I like maintaining my vehicles because at least I know it will be done right.
I definitely will once I need an oil change (coming up very soon). I already have a garage with some parts my father has so I can just borrow them. It's going to be my first time doing any kind of maintenance on a car since this is my first car haha. Hopefully, it won't be hard.

blackie X

First Name
tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
if you are going to take it to get done dont go to a dealership, find a good local mechanic to do the oil change. cant trust those bozos at dealerships

ne0guri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Orchid Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
It’s easy but I definitely do not enjoy doing it lol

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
I definitely will once I need an oil change (coming up very soon). I already have a garage with some parts my father has so I can just borrow them. It's going to be my first time doing any kind of maintenance on a car since this is my first car haha. Hopefully, it won't be hard.
Oh so this will be your first oil change ever?! Ok well if it’s going to be your first time then I would recommend having someone who knows how to change oil be with you to show you the first time. Or at least do some research first. As easy as it is, you definitely don’t want to mess it up. This is the beginning of an addiction. Before you know it you’ll be doing all the maintenance on your car. Use YouTube, they got plenty of videos that can walk you through it.

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport FK7, 2010 VW GTI MKVI
Country flag
Buy a MityVac or similar fluid evacuator. Pulling the oil out through the dipstick is incredibly easy and convenient. That way, you don’t even have to lift the car every oil change. Just when you change the filter every other oil change (as recommended by Honda)

OP
OP
bakingpancake

bakingpancake

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic si 2018
Country flag
Buy a MityVac or similar fluid evacuator. Pulling the oil out through the dipstick is incredibly easy and convenient. That way, you don’t even have to lift the car every oil change. Just when you change the filter every other oil change (as recommended by Honda)
I believe I am due for an oil filter change as well. I think I'll wait on the evacuator for now.

OP
OP
bakingpancake

bakingpancake

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic si 2018
Country flag
Oh so this will be your first oil change ever?! Ok well if it’s going to be your first time then I would recommend having someone who knows how to change oil be with you to show you the first time. Or at least do some research first. As easy as it is, you definitely don’t want to mess it up. This is the beginning of an addiction. Before you know it you’ll be doing all the maintenance on your car. Use YouTube, they got plenty of videos that can walk you through it.
Oh trust me I'll have a YouTube video next time while doing it haha.
Sponsored