1. Guest, see the CivicX Forum Rules and User Agreement before posting.  After reading click here to dismiss this notice →
    Dismiss Notice

Cell Phone Holder Mount

Discussion in 'Audio / Nav / Electronics' started by Wrecks, Mar 1, 2016.

1. holycrap Member

Car(s):
    Civic Touring
    Would the QI wireless charger charge the newer iPhone8 with this holder over a QI charger pad underneath?

2. fc two

fc two Senior Member

Car(s):
    integra gsr integra ls civic's
    IMG_2015.JPG

3. amped_imports

amped_imports Member

First Name:
    Luke
    Car(s):
    2017 Civic Si , 2003 S2000
    Hi there! I'm in the process of making a phone holder that once I get it perfected I plan on sharing with others. Here's what I have so far.

I made a SLOPPY clay representation of what I wanted. Like others have said there's not a ton of great places that the phone wouldn't get in the way. In the position I'm thinking, it might brush my leg, but I can always fine turn new prototypes as I have full access to a 3D printer at work.

22048069_10105554349271454_1049743973504240074_o.jpg

With this though comes the problem of the complex shape of that edge piece it will be binding to. I want to make it a good tight fit and I wasn't confident with calipers and trying to get some good dimensions off the plastic, so, I read up about making a 3D scanner and found I could make one with my XBOX 360 Kinect so I figured what the heck, I'll give it a shot. Here's a picture of my results:

22310321_10105598876787954_3011636711985718068_n.jpg

This is going to give me a VERY solid rendering to start with at the very least. After I've completed the trails and errors, I'll be posting up end results (expect a finished product in 3 weeks as I'm going on vacation)

themaincop and Snoopyslr thanked this.
  4. Snoopyslr

Snoopyslr Senior Member

Featured Threads:
    CAD Designer @ General Motors
    First Name:
    John
    Car(s):
    2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
    Garage Profiles:
    Is the scan to scale? The problem I see is that you won't have any reference points, so you'll still be using calipers. Maybe try putting a couple targets in places easy to measure from so you can assign dimensions to them to scale your scan properly. Once you get a dimensionaly accurate scan, you can definitely just intersect the solid in CAD and get a perfectly shaped mount.

That's really cool being able to do a laser scan with a kinect. Definitely interested to see how this project comes together.

On a side note, my leg would destroy that thing in that position. My knee bangs into that spot as is.

5. Scoobynaps

Scoobynaps New Member

Car(s):
    2017 Honda Civic Si
    Just got my 2017 Civic Si two weeks ago and it was driving me crazy that I couldn't find a decent mount that wasn't over the screen and attached to the vents. After exhausting my search efforts, I decided to build my own. Using a variety of mounting hardware and some aluminum, I have what I think is a decent solution that tucks securely into the glove box and won't cause any damage or any need for drilling holes. If anyone is interested, I can post as much of the process and components and where to buy them as I can. If I get motivated, I might make a new one and fine tune some of the imperfections. The one arm needs to be redone but doesn't look as bad as the picture makes it look. The drill caught it at an odd angle right at the end of making it and I didn't feel like redoing the whole thing.

IMG_20171020_193615.jpg IMG_20171020_193633.jpg IMG_20171020_193657.jpg IMG_20171020_193942.jpg IMG_20171020_152814304.jpg IMG_20171020_153007247.jpg IMG_20171020_193900.jpg

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    Aiirik thanked this.
  6. ieatpasta Member

Car(s):
    Garage Profiles:

7. ieatpasta Member

Car(s):
    Garage Profiles:
    This one is pretty good in my opinion. No adhesives, no drilling/screws. Doesn't block vents, can reach easily with arm fully on the arm rest, and from the steering wheel

bef7XL5.jpg

TLdgbJQ.jpg

8. Scoobynaps

Scoobynaps New Member

Car(s):
    2017 Honda Civic Si

9. ieatpasta Member

Car(s):
    Garage Profiles:
    Only the tablet would possibly block shifting. I don't actually use the tablet in the car, just used it for the picture to demonstrate. But if you use it just for phone there is ample room for shifting stick. Doesn't block turning the steering wheel, and you would actually have to try to kick your leg up really high to hit it. The mount also rotates and shifts vertically if you desire. The angle of the photo makes the leg room seem smaller than it actually is. I've used this set up since I got the car and not once has it interfered with my driving. Charging is a non-issue for me. My phone last longer than a day under heavy use, but I can take some photos to demonstrate how it would look.

10. ieatpasta Member

Car(s):
    Garage Profiles:
    I just realized your design is what I already have. lol

11. 556ALPHA

556ALPHA Senior Member

Car(s):
    2017 Civic Si Coupe
    What mount do you have? Thanks

12. ieatpasta Member

Car(s):
    Garage Profiles:
    I made it myself. It's very easy, you just buy a guitar capo and stick whatever mount you want to it. Mine is probably a bit more complicated because I had some preferences, like using my old mount, and wanting it to swivel 360 degree. I did not want to block vents, middle console pocket, or any buttons. I also did not want to reach for the phone, and did not want to obscure my view. I did not want to use adhesives or screws. I wanted it to look good when the phone was not in it. The design changed as I was making it too, which added some unnecessary complications. But essentially it's just a guitar capo with a go pro ball that fits into the original mount. Took some additional photos. I added the carbon fiber vinyl on to it. There is ample leg room, as some people were disputing that I'd knock it with my leg.

What it can do:
    Tilt up/down/left/right
    Swivel 360 degree at the base
    Rotate 360 degree at the part that holds the phone
    Adjust height up/down
    Holds phone/tablet 4-8 inches
    Can insert and remove with one hand
    Reachable from steering wheel and from armrest without extending
    Has a hole in the bottom to let you plug in
    Easily tighten/loosen by the blue screw. I changed the screw color to match the color of my car

20171022_175928.jpg 20171022_175951.jpg
    20171022_175940.jpg 20171022_180006.jpg 20171022_180041.jpg 20171022_180052.jpg 20171022_180108.jpg

dmitri thanked this.
  13. amped_imports

amped_imports Member

First Name:
    Luke
    Car(s):
    2017 Civic Si , 2003 S2000
    Here's an update on mine.
    Hi! So here's an update on mine! Long story short, the clay didn't work I found a low melting temp plastic that worked GREAT and we'll see how it goes. I'm making this for a manual, which, it should work for a automatic I'd think. When I say that though I say that as I hold the shift nob from the right side (if that makes sense.... I don't grab from the top directly) I've used painters tape to hold it now and its fine. I need to rotate it just a bit but it's great! My plan next it so model the 3M tap into the mold to it sits flush and works great. Fingers crossed

phone update 2.jpg

dmitri thanked this.
  14. Shankmeyster

Shankmeyster Senior Member

Car(s):
    2017 Civic Sport Hatch 6MT
    Garage Profiles:
    Seeing all these makes me glad I put mine on the left side. Don't even have to turn my head to see the phone screen.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  15. KCB316

KCB316 Member

First Name:
    Kenneth
    Car(s):
    2017 Civic Si Sedan
    I use the Scosche Mag/Vent type of phone mount. It’s versitile for use in other cars, and when in my Si it holds the iPhone like an easel would a canvas in the little cubby under the Center dash controls

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017