CBMS Activated by other Civics w/ HS?

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
So tonight on the way home my CBMS engaged and the car braked quite abruptly. There was nothing in front of me.

After the initial shock wore off and I was back in control of my car, I looked in my rearview mirror and noticed that the oncoming car in the oncoming lane was also a 10th gen Civic. The other Civic would have been at a direct 45 angle from me when CBMS activated.

I wonder if the HS radar signal from the other car triggered my CBMS?

Any radar experts able to weigh in? Would ALL HS radars be using the same frequency? Even if they weren't, what's the probability of frequencies overlapping and confusing the system?

I guess an easy way to find out is to have 2 (or more) 10th gen civics drive towards each other mimicking actual city driving to see if CBMS is freaked out, but I'm just wondering if anybody else has experienced this.

I've sent Honda Canada an e-mail asking for data to suggest this was a one-time freak incident, as I don't want to be clutching my asshole tight every time I see another Civic driving towards me, especially considering how many will be on the road.
Sponsored

TheCodifier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
That's interesting.

The radar waves being sent by the oncoming Civic would have been caught by your Civic's radar receiver and the system thought it was a return from an object.

On the other hand, the oncoming Civic Sensing system would have confused your radar waves for a return as well if both frequencies was the exact same.

WOPcivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Yikes, good thing there wasn't another car following behind you closely when it suddenly braked hard. Mine braked hard when it detected a crack in the road and thought I was leaving the lane, and that scared me into turning off the auto braking immediately afterwards. It defeats the purpose of the CMBS, but it still warns you with a beep if it detects something in front of you.

OP
OP

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
I was in city driving ~40km/h so there was nothing else active at the time.

I'm not too worried about it at the moment, but maybe i'll find a few more civics to test haha

JS2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000 , Jeep
Vehicle Showcase
I would expect that automakers would have accounted for such an event as there are so many vehicles using these systems these days, not sure if that is a probable cause or not.

I know mine was set off by some leaves blowing across the road on one event, even though the size of the leaves were very small. I wouldn't expect something as small as leaves would set off the system.

OP
OP

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
I would expect that automakers would have accounted for such an event as there are so many vehicles using these systems these days, not sure if that is a probable cause or not.

I know mine was set off by some leaves blowing across the road on one event, even though the size of the leaves were very small. I wouldn't expect something as small as leaves would set off the system.
It shouldn't - not calling you a liar, but radar would have penetrated any amount of leaves and not reflected back.

I fully understand any system's limitations and pitfalls, but your first point is exactly what I want to determine.

I mean, given radar is only under certain frequency blocks, could another potential radar source throw off the HS?

I guess it's like false alarms triggering radar/laser detectors...only those don't cause you to suddenly stop in the middle of the road lol

JS2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000 , Jeep
Vehicle Showcase
It shouldn't - not calling you a liar, but radar would have penetrated any amount of leaves and not reflected back.

I fully understand any system's limitations and pitfalls, but your first point is exactly what I want to determine.

I mean, given radar is only under certain frequency blocks, could another potential radar source throw off the HS?

I guess it's like false alarms triggering radar/laser detectors...only those don't cause you to suddenly stop in the middle of the road lol
A friend mine had his vehicle thrown into full panic mode braking on a highway due to a plastic grocery bag crossing his path, he was lucky to be the only person on the road at the time or he could have caused an unexpected accident with vehicles following behind. He de-activated the system ever since.

Dead Pool1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring (Black on Black)
A friend mine had his vehicle thrown into full panic mode braking on a highway due to a plastic grocery bag crossing his path, he was lucky to be the only person on the road at the time or he could have caused an unexpected accident with vehicles following behind. He de-activated the system ever since.
White semis seem to be the worse for me. They always freak it out. I'm accustomed to turning it off in bright days with them beside me.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
This has happened to me twice this week. Both times I got passed by another 10th gen Civic on the right.
Sponsored