CrisSi

First Name
Cristian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
For anyone in the state of New York running a catless downpipe on their 10th gen, I was wondering if you had any trouble passing emissions for your Inspection sticker? I'm aware of the feature in KTuner or Hondata where you can disable the sensor or something and you won't get a CEL. I'm not sure if the inspection machine picks up on it or what. Please tell me if you've been able to pass with the catless downpipe or not.
Sponsored

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
I don't know about NY, but in California you would never pass smog as they also do a visual inspection. They also have to verify the CAT's EO number

Dblock157

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic sport hatchback
Country flag
Yeah i just went today and failed the inspection but idk why cause no check lights but as they mentioned mayb a visual or smog and i have a megan downpipe

OP
OP
CrisSi

CrisSi

First Name
Cristian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Yeah i just went today and failed the inspection but idk why cause no check lights but as they mentioned mayb a visual or smog and i have a megan downpipe
If you’re from NY they usually print out a sheet for your records and give it to you after the inspection stating whether you passed or failed. There should be a reason on that paper as to why you failed. Do you know if you were getting a Safety inspection or Safety & Emissions?

Valenzx

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI
Country flag
You won't pass unless you know someone. I learned a long time ago and have been going with high flow cats ever since.

KingOfBrussels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Si sedan
Country flag
Most states check for 2 things when doing OBD scans for emissions:

1. No CEL codes.

2. Emissions readiness monitors are all OK.

Emissions readiness monitors are things like the catalytic converter, evaporative emissions systems, etc. These are separate from CEL codes. They typically read as OK, bad, or N/A. When you use a tune to disable the CEL codes for a downpipe, usually this sets the catalyst readiness monitor to N/A.

Here in Maryland on my last car with a tune that disabled downpipe CEL codes, the catalyst readiness monitor was set to N/A and I still passed. But different states have different rules on how many of your readiness monitors can be N/A or bad before you fail and I don't know the NY rules.

Otherwise if you failed a visual inspection they probably looked under the car, saw the downpipe and said fail.

revenant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
NY allows one N/A of readiness and 0 CELs for current cars

Source: recently went in for inspection in October - none of my monitors were ready due to a recent flash. Drove on the highway for an hour to have 2/3 monitors ready.

These are:
- Monitor Catalyst
- Monitor EVAP
- Monitor O2

EVAP was the one that remained N/A for me as there's a specific pattern of driving that needs to be achieved for this to be Ready.

Readiness is cleared after the following conditions occur:
- Change / Disconnection of Battery
- Re-flash of ECU

COOL COUPE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI coupe (red) Skunk 2 shift knob BOV Spacer Plate (red) K&N Panel Filter Dual Muffler Delete
Country flag
I used to live in NY. It's not what you know it's who you know. Sad but true. I believe that you must have some semblance of a catalitic converter. That is why cattless is sold as off road use only. They sell modified high flow cats that are at best on the edge. Make friends with a garage guy who handles the stickers. Be up front and honest. In the fine print it's actually a federal crime to modify your cars emissions system. Who was it? Volkswagen ... It's quite serious. So ... In California it's a no way ... In NY ... It's a maybe. You need like a Joey Buttefuco type of garage guy ... LOL ... Hey Joooeeeyyy

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
Here in Cali we don't mess around with emissions. F**k with Governor Newsom, he'll take away your Mocha latte privileges. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

D4nnyM

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You won’t pass the visual with out a cat. Unless you find a ( good ol boy ) shop who will over look it like they do with my tint lol.

scottgas

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe, 2007 Nissan Xterra SE, 2008 Hyundai Tiburon SE, 1996 Nissan 300ZX N/A
Country flag
If they do a sniffer test you will never pass. Remember that cats are part of the federally mandated emission controls. It is illegal to remove any operational cat. No I'm not a tree hugger. My MR2 had zero emissions controls on it and having a JDM engine didn't even have an egr valve and wouldn't even pass a visual inspection in many states. I just don't want to see people get hammered by inspections.

burningoilagain

First Name
Alberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I’m running a fraud sticker for years know hehe
Sponsored