CarPlay on Honda Civic Ex not working

Envy Eddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex
Country flag
Apple car play has been working fine but today I plugged in my phone and it charges it. But car doesn't read it and Apple car play doesn't work. Ive tried changing the cable to see if it might be that but it's not. Even tried a different phone but it won't read the device only charge it
Sponsored

WCELingad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Sedan in Crystal Black Pearl
Country flag
Make sure it's plugged in at the smartphone outlet not the one at the center console.

OP
OP

Envy Eddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex
Country flag
Its the console that it having problems with

Last edited:

WCELingad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It's not suppose to detect smartphone connection at the center console USB port, the only way to detect carplay is if you connect it at the smartphone USB port

OP
OP

Envy Eddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex
Country flag
Have my iPhone connected but It says smartphone connection. It doesn't go to apple car play

Honda Civic 10th gen CarPlay on Honda Civic Ex not working IMG_7153.JPG

WCELingad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Try to check if the app needs an update also some cables are not USB compatible they will charge your device but will not detect connection when plugged in to computer or in this case a car.

redstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-T, 2019 CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Apple car play has been working fine but today I plugged in my phone and it charges it. But car doesn't read it and Apple car play doesn't work. Ive tried changing the cable to see if it might be that but it's not. Even tried a different phone but it won't read the device only charge it
Did you reboot your both your phone and your infotainment system? This is the only thing that I don't like about this car. Have to reboot it two or three times a week because something quits working. Carplay issues though are usually remedied by rebooting just the phone I have found.

Imagination04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Coupe EX-T
Country flag
I have an iPhone 6s and started having Apple CarPlay connection and disconnection issues with it after iOS 10.0.x updates. Last Friday I updated my phone to iOS 10.1 and I haven't had any CarPlay issues since (so far). Perhaps Apple has addressed the CarPlay connection with iOS 10.1 for at least some phone models.

jla3n7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm having the same issue Eddy. Used multiple phones with carplay for the last 2 months with no problem. Then all of a sudden it stopped working. Tried different cords and phones and they will always charge but no data is being sent or received so CarPlay doesn't start up. Rebooted my phone and updated the software on it and no change

airgas1998

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' civic touring sedan
Country flag
I'm having the same issue Eddy. Used multiple phones with carplay for the last 2 months with no problem. Then all of a sudden it stopped working. Tried different cords and phones and they will always charge but no data is being sent or received so CarPlay doesn't start up. Rebooted my phone and updated the software on it and no change
I've had the same issue, it was flawless with my prior phone, but not the current one.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I've had the same issue, it was flawless with my prior phone, but not the current one.
My Honda service guy says the first step in troubleshooting any phone issue is to remove all the phones from the device list and add them back. He says it fixes 90% of all phone issues.

ResortCasual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
For those who have, "it worked yesterday but not today" CarPlay problems - do you have restrictions set on your iPhone were you might have accidentally disabled CarPlay?

Most people don't know you can restrict the use of CarPlay.

BassPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I know this is an old thread, but I'll relate my experience with an intermittent CarPlay connection in my 2016 Civic Touring Sedan.
I had the same issue as the OP: sometimes I would connect my iPhone 6 with the cable that lives under the head unit and CarPlay would show up as an option on the screen. Other times, after connecting the iPhone to the cable, I would just get a "Smartphone Connection" option on my screen in place of CarPlay.
I mentioned this to my business partner, and he asked if I had ever cleaned the Lightning port on my iPhone. I asked him what sort of cleaning he was talking about, and he said that he periodically takes a wooden toothpick and gently scrapes the inside of the Lighting port to dig out lint that accumulates as a result of carrying the phone in his pocket. As soon as I got home, I got a toothpick and started digging in the Lightning port of my iPhone, and was amazed at the amount of lint that I was able to remove. I should have thought of this sooner, because the Lightning cable in my work van would periodically just fall out of the phone's port as I was driving. I thought it might be time to replace the phone, but since I performed the "lintectomy" on my iPhone 6, the cable stays securely in place.
I also no longer have problems with my CarPlay connection in the Civic. So it seems that some of the contacts on the Lightning connector weren't connecting due to the inability of the connector to fully engage the contacts in the iPhone because of the lint that had been physically blocking the connector.
Anyway, I know this is somewhat long, but I hope it helps one or more of the iPhone users on the forum to remedy their CarPlay connection problems. Safe travels.

Last edited:

BassPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I just realized that my post above might be taken as an April Fools joke, due to the content and the day on which it was posted. Let me assure everyone that it is not a joke. I just wanted to share my experience in the hope that it might help someone here. Thanks again for reading.
Sponsored