NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
I couldn't help but think that the CVT, which is programmed for maximum fuel mileage (by primarily keeping engine revs low), will lead to worse carbon buildup in these engines over time. A normal 4, 5, 6 speed automatic fluctuates engine speeds between about 1,000 and 4,000 rpm depending on vehicle speed and how heavy your foot is. The CVT in my car keeps engine revs around 1,500 rpm in urban situations when it is in "D". At normal highway speeds, I think that the revs go up to about 2,000 to 3,000 rpm when in "D". If most of your driving is at urban speeds, I expect some serious carbon buildup over time. Of course, this may exacerbate the inherent problem in the direct injection engines.

Because of that, I use "S" about once a week and take the car out on the highway to get the revs up to 3,000 to 4,000 rpm for a short jaunt.

Do any other owners do the same ?
Sponsored

Last edited:

CosmicX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civix LX 6M
Country flag
I wouldn't spray anything into the intake if you have the turbo motor. I think if the carbon builds up bad enough to require intervention, removing the head and blasting the valves with crushed walnut shells is the usual method on turbos. It is a direct injection thing. This is one of the reasons I went 2.0 (no DI). Time will tell if carbon build up on the intake valves will be a problem for the 1.5.

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
I wouldn't spray anything into the intake if you have the turbo motor. I think if the carbon builds up bad enough to require intervention, removing the head and blasting the valves with crushed walnut shells is the usual method on turbos. It is a direct injection thing. This is one of the reasons I went 2.0 (no DI). Time will tell if carbon build up on the intake valves will be a problem for the 1.5.
2.0 is n/a and is DI. Such as all modern Honda engines

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
right on. multipoint port injection. I learned something new today lol

Charley-TX

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Country flag
this is why it is important idea to fairly regularly run your car up to red line every once in a while. it will burn off the carbon.
how so? If (?) carbon builds up it will be in the intake and on top of the intake valve, isn't it? Revving it will do no help.
Please explain your logic on this.
Revving the piss out of the engine (int he old days) was a way to get rid of carbon in high mileage engines with carbon on the piston and possibly on exhaust valves. Revving or driving it on hwy in lower gear which would raise temp inside the combustion chamber and hopefully burn or dislodge some carbon deposits. it usually does nothing for the intake valves.
Or simply use top end engine cleaner would do the same thing. It was poured in to the cylinder and let it sit for 30-60 min. GM had a service bulletin (or recall) for this with the4.3L V6 that had leaking intake valve stem seals leak engine oil on top of the valve. It worked well.

shihabp79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #2740
Country flag
We don’t have VW/Audi/BMW products, guys. Worry about carbon buildup when it actually happens on your car and Honda engines in general. It’s easy and inexpensive to scope your engine every 30k-40k miles to see if there’s anything gunking up.

Charley-TX

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Country flag
We don’t have VW/Audi/BMW products, guys. Worry about carbon buildup when it actually happens on your car and Honda engines in general. It’s easy and inexpensive to scope your engine every 30k-40k miles to see if there’s anything gunking up.
Right ON! let's worry abouth it when it happens or if it becomes an issue with these engines.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
People worry too much. I almost always do at least one wot every time I take it out. Plus it's damn fun!

MarshX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I couldn't help but think that the CVT, which is programmed for maximum fuel mileage (by primarily keeping engine revs low), will lead to worse carbon buildup in these engines over time. A normal 4, 5, 6 speed automatic fluctuates engine speeds between about 1,000 and 4,000 rpm depending on vehicle speed and how heavy your foot is. The CVT in my car keeps engine revs around 1,500 rpm in urban situations when it is in "D". At normal highway speeds, I think that the revs go up to about 2,000 to 3,000 rpm when in "D". If most of your driving is at urban speeds, I expect some serious carbon buildup over time. Of course, this may exacerbate the inherent problem in the direct injection engines.

Because of that, I use "S" about once a week and take the car out on the highway to get the revs up to 3,000 to 4,000 rpm for a short jaunt.

Do any other owners do the same ?
Yeah I try to get the rpms high at least once a day but I overdo it by trying to launch it from wherever I’m at to home. I floor it once a day just for the satisfaction but at the same time knowing it’s bad. Welp.

OP
OP
NotSerious

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
Yeah I try to get the rpms high at least once a day but I overdo it by trying to launch it from wherever I’m at to home. I floor it once a day just for the satisfaction but at the same time knowing it’s bad. Welp.
I don't think that you have to floor it to get the revs up.
Just put it in "Sport" mode and take a run on the highway at 70 mph for a few miles.

MarshX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't think that you have to floor it to get the revs up.
Just put it in "Sport" mode and take a run on the highway at 70 mph for a few miles.
Yeah I guess. I’ve done that but everyone knows how bad of a gas guzzler that option is