CARB Flashpro unbiased 6 month review...should you buy?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
ECU tuning is a science. It isn't just about peak hp or tq. A truly good tune should be improved over stock in all situations and rpm ranges. Based on that, the CARB Flashpro and base Hondata tunes in general get very average grades.

Back in March I was new to tuning. But I researched and researched and it looked like the CARB Flashpro fit the bill for my needs at $495. Six months later I now know that this tuning device is seriously underwhelming and honestly not worth the money compared to the other options out there. If you are going to buy a Flashpro, the much more adjustable race version is a better value.

Two things absolutely kill the CARB. One is lack of adjustability and only two basic tunes. The other big issue for CVT peeps (this also applies to the race version out of the box) is the poor job Hondata did with low rpm driveability. And this is the real crux of the problem. The low rpm experience is way too stock like and laggy.

So let's get into it. Here's a perfect example of why Hondata's tunes are inferior to the Ktuner base tunes...

I was driving this morning and was stuck behind a car doing 25 in a 45. Frustrated, I went to pass it but had a limited window before my exit ramp to make the move. I pressed the throttle down about 2/3 and nothing happened.. literally. A second later the power came in. It made the move very dicey. This is the exact low rpm to high throttle hesitation the stock tune had. Sorry, but it's 100% unacceptable and shows poor programming and attention to detail on Hondata's part. Sure some of it is CVT lag but Ktuner's quick adjustments are able to minimize this lag.

Hondata is supposedly working on fixing some of this. It's a couple years late but better late than never. But for me and others who spent $500 on the CARB, no updates are coming according to Hondata. Essentially, the CARB Flashpro is a lame duck tuner because nothing gets updated.

For this reason I recommend you don't invest $500 in a CARB Flashpro unless you're in CA. Even then you could always just put it back to stock for dealer visits and emission testing. There are much better tuning options out there for not much more money. Don't get me wrong, the CARB does give you improved highway merging and passing power. It's just that you have virtually no adjustability and no upgrades. In my book, that makes it completely overpriced and instantly outdated.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
In terms of CARB certified, that's true. I just wish Hondata could find a way to improve the driveability and still get it to pass CARB certification. It seems to me there should be a workaround. I just wonder if Hondata simply doesn't want to go to the expense of updating the CARB certificate. Plus I think $500 for what is so basic is an awfully big price. But look, this is just one user's opinion and nothing more.

FK7_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan, 2015 Acura MDX Elite
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I get what your saying but I feel like every other day you have a new thread on your feelings about Hondata. I think you should just stick with your original post instead of constantly posting the same thoughts. Not trying to hate because I do agree with certain things your saying but itā€™s a little overkill.

civichero1

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i bought my Carb Hondata for my cvt sport for $300 bucks and for that price it drives great and i still think its a steal for someone wanting a cheap used option to add a lot of power

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
For $300 it is a great deal. Canā€™t argue with that. But, at $500 itā€™s not. Itā€™s too basic and since Hondata will not refine or update it, it's very limited. But, if you can live with the lack of features, a used CARB is the way to go.

Superfly

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R / 2018 Civic Si Sedan / 2018 Civic Si Coupe / 2018 Acccord 2.0 Touring / 2001 S2000
Country flag
In terms of CARB certified, that's true. I just wish Hondata could find a way to improve the driveability and still get it to pass CARB certification. It seems to me there should be a workaround. I just wonder if Hondata simply doesn't want to go to the expense of updating the CARB certificate. Plus I think $500 for what is so basic is an awfully big price. But look, this is just one user's opinion and nothing more.
Being a user of 2 @Hondata carb versions, I am quiet satisfied to be honest. I tuned my Si and had a tune on my CVT Sport Hatch before I traded it in for a CTR. I didnā€™t share the same experience with you in my CVT and currently I have loaned my hondata to a friend to try it out on her CVT civic. The feedback she provided has been very positive.

I can see a few of your arguments but I canā€™t speak to some of the statements regarding Ktuner as I have not had the pleasure of using it. Remember, they are both for profit companies that research, market and may have different business philosophies. They may prioritize things that makes great financial sense but may not be beneficial to an individualā€™s needs/wants. The approach may be to mitigate liability, focus resource/time for more profitable projects etc.

You made an informed decision at the time of your purchase with consideration on cost, emission laws in your state and the feedback of others. It appears that you have desires that are not being met by the company. Sell the hondata to recoup some of your funds and try Ktuner. If it is as great as Iā€™ve been reading, youā€™ll be a lot happier and may lessen frustrations. Donā€™t let this tarnish the great experience of owning a 10th gen civic and the overall driving enjoyment on a daily basis. Itā€™s a small loss but well worth it if Ktuner offers the features youā€™re looking for. Itā€™s really no different than buying anything else then realizing that it may not have been the right fit for you.

If you do get the Ktuner, I hope you like it (also hope youā€™ll sell me the Hondata for $250.00) I plan on getting a Ktuner soon too because I want to try both.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Superfly...

Don't get me wrong, I literally have hundreds of posts praising Hondata. I've just come to the realization that in day to day driving I'm still experiencing that dicey low rpm to high throttle hesitation the stock tune had. I have no way to mitigate that with Hondata CARB.

Maybe it's a product of living in Baltimore which according to Allstate is the most challenging place to drive in the US. Iā€™ve had many situations where Iā€™ve needed to quickly power out to avoid an accident and that hesitation has caused many near misses. My understanding from JR and Ktuner users is that Ktuner minimizes this problem. And for my everyday driving situation it is a legit concern.

And that's my only real issue with my Hondata. It's the driveability/safety, not overall power. Passing power on the highway is terrific. My hope was that Hondata would be able to improve through updates.

Since Doug has said the CARB will not be updated, my plan is to buy a V2 and sell my CARB unit when I can afford to.

Having said that, for many users the CARB may completely satisfy their needs. Flashpro Manager is intuitive and easy to use too. Iā€™m not dissing Hondata as a company. Just posting my user experience and opinions based on my situation.

I do think the whole lag, early spool, quicker ramp, better throttle response discussion is a valid talking point. Why does one company emphasize low end driveability and minimizing lag and the other does not? Isn't that a fair point to bring up and not just sweep under the rug? It would be nice to hear Hondataā€™s POV on this.

Funny thing is, my goal here was never to knock Hondata. Only to make it a better, more viable product by giving user feedback. I guess it's all your point of view. 95 percent of the time, my Hondata tune rocks. They just need to fix that dreaded "dead spotā€ where nothing happens when you put your foot down and your face goes pale and you pray the car next to you doesn't hit you as you wait for the power to finally come on... all the while realizing you may need to change your shorts.:eek:

Last edited:

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
honestly, if its such a hassle, just flash the thing back to stock and drive it around a bit before sending it in to get smogged or whatever.